2020-2021 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Agreed. It would be tempting to have a starting rotation of Russell, Edwards, Mcdaniels, Mobley, and Townes and have Beasley come off the bench as the 6th man in that situation. I like Beasley, but we need another plus defender in our hypothetical starting lineup.
I like the idea of being able to go with Beasley and McDaniels switching off with the last starting spot. Go big with McDaniels or go with more shooting with Beasley. Good position to be in if we get lucky.

I hope we don't end up with Suggs if we keep the pick. I have a feeling he will be a Tyus Jones type of player instead of an all-star.

Also....tip of the hat to D-Lo. He's been really solid lately.

From today's Wolve's Beat column in the Strib:

Houston 15-46..Minnesota 18-44..Orlando 18-43..Detroit 19-43..Oklahoma City 20-41..Cleveland 21-40

This, of course, is an atypical year for the Wolves in the lottery, since Golden State would get their pick if it is No. 4 or lower as part of the D'Angelo Russell-Andrew Wiggins trade. The NBA recently flattened the odds for the three worst teams in the league to have the same odds of getting the No. 1 pick (14%). The odds of the Wolves getting a top three pick if they finish with one of the three worst records is 40.1%, per Tankathon (13.4% for the second pick, 12.7 for the third).

If the Wolves were to fail up to the fourth-worst record, they would have a 36.6% chance of getting a top three pick. If they fell to fifth, it would be 31.6%. Sixth would be 27.6%. So there aren't too many Wolves ping-pong balls taken out for finishing with the fourth-worst record, but it starts to get a little steeper in the odds after that..

Since Russell returned to the lineup under coach Chris Finch, the Wolves are 6-4 when both he and Towns play together.

The Wolves would rather go out on a high note this season and develop some positive momentum throughout the organization than have a few more ping-pong balls in the June 22 lottery...

Winning is far more important for this team than landing another top 3 pick. A starting lineup of DLo, Beasley, Ant, McDaniels, and KAT is a playoff team next season if they stay healthy.

I also don't see the Wolves drafting Mobley even if they do keep their pick. Starting two 7 footers doesn't work in today's NBA. That's why they didn't want Wiseman last year, and why Wiseman also didn't want to come to the Wolves.

Winning is far more important for this team than landing another top 3 pick. A starting lineup of DLo, Beasley, Ant, McDaniels, and KAT is a playoff team next season if they stay healthy.

I also don't see the Wolves drafting Mobley even if they do keep their pick. Starting two 7 footers doesn't work in today's NBA. That's why they didn't want Wiseman last year, and why Wiseman also didn't want to come to the Wolves.

Not gonna argue with that, except the last sentence.

Looks like he was gonna go to the Warriors or the Wolves. Betting that was the reason for his reticence. 😊

Minnesota needed it in a close contest with Karl-Anthony Towns already fouled out of the game. Vanderbilt’s late-game effort play helped Minnesota close out the Rockets 114-107..

“I just knew it was a crucial moment in the game,” said Vanderbilt, a Houston native. “I was trying to be active on the boards. … I saw an opportunity to go get a putback. I knew it was a crucial play in the game, so it felt good.”

“Tough stretch of games,” Timberwolves coach Chris Finch said. “We could’ve easy had a schedule loss here, but I was proud we found a way to win.”

They found a way indeed. It wasn’t always pretty. The entire contest was chippy, with officials swallowing whistles and players getting tangled up on multiple occasions. It was a little bit sloppy.

Those are exactly the games in which Vanderbilt thrives.

“I think it was a game that was going to come down to multiple efforts, an extra possession, good defense, get your hand on a ball somehow,” Finch said. “He’s been really inspirational for us. His play off the bench has lifted us on many, many occasions.”

Historically, those physical contests are not ones in which the Timberwolves find success. But they’ve been better about delivering the blows of late, versus always being on the receiving end.

“They’re putting their bodies out there, they’re trying to hit first, whether it be offense or defense,” Finch said. “It’s kind of a learned skill. A lot of times you can play passive in the game. But we’ve been victim of that at the start. We grow into the game. We just need to start the game with that type of physicality, and we’re getting better at it.”

The whole small ball thing is fading a bit. Lots of teams are playing bigger than they were a few seasons ago. Finch is already playing Towns and Reid together so playing a guy who is one inch taller wouldn't be a big deal. Mobley is going to be a defensive beast and that is exactly what the Wolves need over anything else.

I want them to win as many games as possible, but a top 3 pick would be the best thing to happen in the off-season.

The whole small ball thing is fading a bit. Lots of teams are playing bigger than they were a few seasons ago. Finch is already playing Towns and Reid together so playing a guy who is one inch taller wouldn't be a big deal. Mobley is going to be a defensive beast and that is exactly what the Wolves need over anything else.

I want them to win as many games as possible, but a top 3 pick would be the best thing to happen in the off-season.
Agreed except, would also think we could use Suggs or Cunningham. Any of the top 3 would be a fine prize. Russell is better of the bench.

I don't know about that. It's not just losing a top pick....it's losing your first rounder. I'm glad that they appear to be turning the corner....but this is still a lost year and the Wolves are still going to finish with one of the worst records in the NBA. If our first rounder is going to GS....I'd hate to see it be the 4th or 5th. That's a potential all-star.

Last edited:

Agreed except, would also think we could use Suggs or Cunningham. Any of the top 3 would be a fine prize. Russell is better of the bench.
Yes to Cunningham. No to Suggs in my opinion. I just don't see an all-star in him.

Which playoff teams are currently starting two 7 footers? Reid and McDaniels are only 6'9" and can shoot from outside. They fit the mold of what Rosas wants at PF. Mobley can further develop his outside shot, but that remains to be seen.

I'm not saying landing a top 3 pick will hurt the Wolves, just that developing a winning culture to end this season is far more important, especially when it's only decreasing their odds at landing a top 3 pick by a few percent.

Accumulate talent. That's all the draft is about. I was pounding this drum when debating the no.1 pick last year. Above all other leagues, the NBA is crazy fluid when it comes to rosters. If you think Mobley is the most talented/most upside, take him (if they end up with a pick). The issue whether him and KAT can play together will resolve itself. For me, it would be 1. Cunningham 2. Mobley 3. Suggs.

Which playoff teams are currently starting two 7 footers? Reid and McDaniels are only 6'9" and can shoot from outside. They fit the mold of what Rosas wants at PF. Mobley can further develop his outside shot, but that remains to be seen.

I'm not saying landing a top 3 pick will hurt the Wolves, just that developing a winning culture to end this season is far more important, especially when it's only decreasing their odds at landing a top 3 pick by a few percent.

I agree that this team needs to experience winning at a regular pace. I just think that with the season they've had....the injuries....the coaching turnover....it's still a lost season. We are going to finish near the bottom. And if you can add one more potential all-star....you've just increased your chances to become a contender. Nine more games. If they keep winning at this pace....there is a real possibility that there could be five teams with better odds. That would suck.

We'll see. Like I said....it would just be a major bummer to lose the 4th or 5th pick.

I agree that this team needs to experience winning at a regular pace. I just think that with the season they've had....the injuries....the coaching turnover....it's still a lost season. We are going to finish near the bottom. And if you can add one more potential all-star....you've just increased your chances to become a contender. Nine more games. If they keep winning at this pace....there is a real possibility that there could be five teams with better odds. That would suck.

We'll see. Like I said....it would just be a major bummer to lose the 4th or 5th pick.

And looking at those last nine games....seven of the nine teams are in and playing for positioning or on the bubble. So hopefully we'll get top effort from them.

Especially because that one would hope next season will yield a better result. Send the number 10 pick, the number 15 pick, or whatever it ends up being next year to the Warriors. Even if they don't want another young guy, I think the top 3 prospects this year are looked at highly enough that you could trade the pick for a good veteran. IMO, winning this year means very little. If they win 6 of 9 games, they're not going to magically carry that momentum into 21/22 after sitting around for months in the offseason. That's not how it works.

Especially because that one would hope next season will yield a better result. Send the number 10 pick, the number 15 pick, or whatever it ends up being next year to the Warriors. Even if they don't want another young guy, I think the top 3 prospects this year are looked at highly enough that you could trade the pick for a good veteran. IMO, winning this year means very little. If they win 6 of 9 games, they're not going to magically carry that momentum into 21/22 after sitting around for months in the offseason. That's not how it works.

Correct. If we are going to lose the pick...it would suck to lose the 4th, 5th, 6th..... This team underperformed for a number of reasons. Send them a mid round pick next year and grab another top talent this year. I'm pulling for them to lose as many of these last games as possible.

Accumulate talent. That's all the draft is about. I was pounding this drum when debating the no.1 pick last year. Above all other leagues, the NBA is crazy fluid when it comes to rosters. If you think Mobley is the most talented/most upside, take him (if they end up with a pick). The issue whether him and KAT can play together will resolve itself. For me, it would be 1. Cunningham 2. Mobley 3. Suggs.

This team has been accumulating talent their entire franchise, where has that gotten them? Continued high draft picks just to trade them away and start over again, and hope for another high draft pick. This cycle doesn't work.

The Wolves already have two #1 picks - KAT and ANT, a #2 DLo, #5 pick in Rubio, a #6 pick from two years ago that they've already given up on in Culver, and much of their remaining contributors were drafted later in the 1st round. They have talent.

A top 3 pick assures them nothing. They could draft the next Fultz or Bagley, which really doesn't help them much.

If they finished with the worst record, their odds of landing a top 3 pick is 40%. Today they are 3rd worst and their odds are 36%. Even if they slid two more spots, their odds remain 32%.

This team has been accumulating talent their entire franchise, where has that gotten them? Continued high draft picks just to trade them away and start over again, and hope for another high draft pick. This cycle doesn't work.

The Wolves already have two #1 picks - KAT and ANT, a #2 DLo, #5 pick in Rubio, a #6 pick from two years ago that they've already given up on in Culver, and much of their remaining contributors were drafted later in the 1st round. They have talent.

A top 3 pick assures them nothing. They could draft the next Fultz or Bagley, which really doesn't help them much.

If they finished with the worst record, their odds of landing a top 3 pick is 40%. Today they are 3rd worst and their odds are 36%. Even if they slid two more spots, their odds remain 32%.
You are 100% correct. However, if my choices are lose and increase the odds of getting a top 3 pick, and maybe that guy pans out, or win some games at the end of a completely lost season, I’ll take the extra ping pong balls. Other than some fluff pieces by the beat writers in the offseason about “turning the corner”, wins don’t really do anything at this point.

You are 100% correct. However, if my choices are lose and increase the odds of getting a top 3 pick, and maybe that guy pans out, or win some games at the end of a completely lost season, I’ll take the extra ping pong balls. Other than some fluff pieces by the beat writers in the offseason about “turning the corner”, wins don’t really do anything at this point.
Rand has a great take on this on startribune.com

The goal should be to pass OKC (2.5 games ahead with 9 left, tough, but doable) and Cleveland (3.0 GA). Hope for 1-2-3, but end up giving 5-6-7-8-9 to GSW if the ping-pong balls don't work out.

His other point was, if they keep 1-2-3, and are in the lottery again, the TW luck would give GSW #1 in 2022.

Last years Sun's are a good example. They were 13 games under .500 and snuck into the bubble under Monty Williams who was in his first year coaching that team. They then went 8-0 in the bubble and gained some chemistry, but it decreased their draft position where they drafted Jalen Smith who has done nothing this year.

Instead of getting younger, they traded their 2nd best player in Oubre for Chris Paul to pair with a young core of Booker and Ayton. Currently they are the 2nd best team in the NBA with a much improved defense.

I'd love to see the Wolves package Beasley for a good vet who knows how to play defense and win games. That would help them so much more than hoping for a top 3 pick and adding another talented 19 year old.

Russell had a very bad night, but Rubio, Towns and Edwards had good ones. As Minnesota beat Golden State.

A lively atmosphere from the few thousand fans allowed to show up. Stephen Curry going off in the third quarter, only for the Wolves' Anthony Edwards to answer early in the fourth. Not to mention the return to Target Center of Andrew Wiggins, who drew applause during pregame introductions — and played like he had a fire to beat his old team.

It added up to one of the more entertaining nights of basketball at Target Center, a game that continued the Wolves' strongest stretch of play on the season with a 126-114 win over Golden State. The Wolves have won four straight.

Edwards scored 18 of his 25 points in the fourth quarter as the Wolves pulled away from Golden State in the final minutes. Ricky Rubio had a season high 26 while Karl-Anthony Towns had 22, 11 rebounds and seven assists. Wiggins finished with 27 on 11 of 20 shooting while Curry had 37.

Russell had a very bad night, but Rubio, Towns and Edwards had good ones. As Minnesota beat Golden State.

A lively atmosphere from the few thousand fans allowed to show up. Stephen Curry going off in the third quarter, only for the Wolves' Anthony Edwards to answer early in the fourth. Not to mention the return to Target Center of Andrew Wiggins, who drew applause during pregame introductions — and played like he had a fire to beat his old team.

It added up to one of the more entertaining nights of basketball at Target Center, a game that continued the Wolves' strongest stretch of play on the season with a 126-114 win over Golden State. The Wolves have won four straight.

Edwards scored 18 of his 25 points in the fourth quarter as the Wolves pulled away from Golden State in the final minutes. Ricky Rubio had a season high 26 while Karl-Anthony Towns had 22, 11 rebounds and seven assists. Wiggins finished with 27 on 11 of 20 shooting while Curry had 37.

Ricky!

Yep! 6 REB, 26 Pts, 5/8 from 3, 7/7 FT, 6 AST, 2 STL, Zero turnovers. Now if they can get that performance out of him more than every 6-8 games it'll be great.

Very surprising but great.

Last edited:

Oh and Wiggins got 27 last night, with 3 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 blocks. He's been quietly having a good year out there. Kind of like he did here.

Difference is that's all they need from him out there.

Oh and Wiggins got 27 last night, with 3 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 blocks. He's been quietly having a good year out there. Kind of like he did here.

Difference is that's all they need from him out there.

They're in 10th place and 1 game under .500, I'm sure they could use a little more out of a max player.

Wiggins is what he is. He quietly gets his points and doesn't do much else.

They're in 10th place and 1 game under .500, I'm sure they could use a little more out of a max player.

Wiggins is what he is. He quietly gets his points and doesn't do much else.

Understood and not really. They barely got anything out of Wiseman and they haven't had Thompson all season. When they traded for him they knew what they were gonna get. Another player to complement, Curry, Green and Thompson. Then last November Thompson got hurt again.

Golden State never thought he'd suddenly become an All Star after 8 years in the NBA. He's giving them what they expected.

Last edited:

No. Winning is good. If they finish in the bottom 3, they still have a 60% chance of losing the choice.

Win as many games as you can, and lose a choice that is 5-10, not 4-6.

Even if they close out strong....they'll still end in that 4-5 worst record range. All they are doing is lowering their chances now.

Top Bottom