2020-2021 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

"Heavy minutes"? Speculation revolves around tendinitis. Starting to wonder if Timberwolves fans will ever see the planned T-Wolves starting five play together this year. Or if the Wolves will ever tell the truth about player injuries.

Their history says they won't.

Dane Moore @DaneMooreNBA

The Timberwolves are "continuing to gather information" on the sore left leg of D'Angelo Russell that will again keep Russell out tonight. When asked what "sore left leg" means, Ryan Saunders said: "He's been playing heavy minutes. Ankle, knee, you get sore left leg."

Aaron Gleeman @AaronGleeman 1h

D'Angelo Russell is averaging 29.2 minutes per game this season, which is 102nd in the NBA. He's sat out 26% of the Wolves' games, so he ranks 152nd in total minutes. And he's played a total of five minutes in the past two weeks. What is going on here?

Last edited:

"Heavy minutes"? Speculation revolves around tendinitis. Starting to wonder if Timberwolves fans will ever see the planned T-Wolves starting five play together this year. Or if the Wolves will ever tell the truth about player injuries.

Their history says they won't.

Dane Moore @DaneMooreNBA

The Timberwolves are "continuing to gather information" on the sore left leg of D'Angelo Russell that will again keep Russell out tonight. When asked what "sore left leg" means, Ryan Saunders said: "He's been playing heavy minutes. Ankle, knee, you get sore left leg."

Aaron Gleeman @AaronGleeman 1h

D'Angelo Russell is averaging 29.2 minutes per game this season, which is 102nd in the NBA. He's sat out 26% of the Wolves' games, so he ranks 152nd in total minutes. And he's played a total of five minutes in the past two weeks. What is going on here?
I don't believe anything they say about injuries anymore.

Wonder if the fans in Seattle will be more understanding?

Russell, who has missed the last three games due to left leg soreness, will undergo arthroscopic surgery tomorrow to remove a loose body from the left knee. Russell will remain out between 4-6 weeks and further updates to his progress will be issued when available.

In 20 games (19 starts) this season, Russell is averaging 19.3 points on 42.6% shooting and 5.1 assists.

In the third quarter of the Monday, Jan. 25 game at Golden State, Culver sustained a left ankle sprain. As part of his ongoing rehab and reconditioning, Culver has been upgraded to on-court activity this week. He is expected to be reevaluated next week with potential to return to play late next week. Updates on his progress will be issued when available.

In 16 games (7 starts) this season, Culver is averaging 8.1 points on 45.9% shooting and 5.0 rebounds.

Wonder if the fans in Seattle will be more understanding?

Russell, who has missed the last three games due to left leg soreness, will undergo arthroscopic surgery tomorrow to remove a loose body from the left knee. Russell will remain out between 4-6 weeks and further updates to his progress will be issued when available.

In 20 games (19 starts) this season, Russell is averaging 19.3 points on 42.6% shooting and 5.1 assists.

In the third quarter of the Monday, Jan. 25 game at Golden State, Culver sustained a left ankle sprain. As part of his ongoing rehab and reconditioning, Culver has been upgraded to on-court activity this week. He is expected to be reevaluated next week with potential to return to play late next week. Updates on his progress will be issued when available.

In 16 games (7 starts) this season, Culver is averaging 8.1 points on 45.9% shooting and 5.0 rebounds.
So, as some of you may recall, before the draft this year, I put together a post on the top 18 draft misses by the TWolves over the course of their history. I'm afraid we're cruising towards a nice round number of 20 real quickly.

Anthony Edwards appears like he could grow into a real solid NBA player. LaMelo Ball is running away with the Rookie of the Year race and lifting a pedestrian franchise into relevance. It might be too early to use the term transcendent, but the buzz around Ball is pointing towards a superstar at the point guard position. Boy, it'd be nice to have one of those. While the TWolves brass said all the right things about Edwards, I have to think DLo's presence on the team may have steered them away from Ball, who many pointed to as the best player in the draft.

DLo could turn out to be the cherry on this sh_t sundae of a franchise. Not only can one speculate that the team passed on Ball because he was on the team, but whether it's this upcoming draft or 2022, when the first round pick is unprotected-really mind blowing that there weren't any stronger protections put in place for a player with a similar contract to Wiggins with a similarly spotty pro career. But he's KAT's friend. Which will be worth a bucket of beans when this team lurches towards yet another putrid completion of the season. What's the pool on KAT asking for a trade? This upcoming off-season? Beginning of next season? Would KAT see a brighter future in MN with LaMelo Ball as his young point guard?

And while I'm not writing off Edwards, who at his best looks special, I am ready to write off Culver. I count five players (minimum) drafted in the first round after Culver was chosen whose present and future excite me more at this point (Coby White, Rui Hachimura, Tyler Herro, Brandon Clarke, and Darius Bazley). Culver appears to be another guy in the NBA-he'll stick around the league for some time as the 8th, 9th, or 10th man on a team, but it doesn't seem to be much more than that.

With Ball and Herro in the backcourt, I imagine we wouldn't be worrying so much about where the picks land in 2021 and 2022. Gawd, what a depressing franchise.

So, as some of you may recall, before the draft this year, I put together a post on the top 18 draft misses by the TWolves over the course of their history. I'm afraid we're cruising towards a nice round number of 20 real quickly...

Remember that column and again, thank you for it.

Towns and Russell were drafted 1-2 in the 2015 Draft. Towns hasn't had a bad year, with the possible exception of last season when he only played in 35 games. That said his numbers in those games were good.

Russell has only had 3 good years. Who the heck knows if they'd be any good together. 5 games in over a year doesn't tell us anything. Looks like the may not play again this season!

Edwards should be good and as you said Ball might be great. He's been pretty great this month after a so-so January. He's certainly got a better roster to play with. 7 guys in double figures and an 8th that is at 9.9 per game. 6 of those 8 guys shooting about 45%. Ball is at 43.

All that is a roundabout way of saying can't really look at the Wolves season and draw any conclusions about it, because the "team" they planned on having has played together what 2-3 times at most.

They had Russell already. Drafting Ball would have been a gamble and pretty sure Ball wouldn't have looked at good as he has in Charlotte surrounded by the bunch of non-shooters on the Wolves roster.

That said, still wish they had taken Wiseman. ;)

Anthony Edwards has monster game but Lakers too much for Timberwolves at Target Center

It has been over a year and the D'Angelo Russell-Karl Anthony Towns chapter of the Timberwolves hasn't been able to get off the ground fully.

The tandem have played just five games with each other since Russell came to the Wolves in a trade over a year ago, and on Tuesday the Wolves learned takeoff will be delayed again at least another four to six weeks as Russell needs arthroscopic surgery to repair a "loose body" in his left knee.

The upshot of Russell being out is it means rookie Anthony Edwards gets to have the ball in his hands a lot more than he might otherwise with Russell on the floor -- and maybe he can develop chemistry with Towns. Edwards had the ball in his hands plenty during the Wolves' 112-104 loss to the Lakers.

But try as Edwards might -- and he certainly did during an electric second half --the defending champion Lakers, even though they were without the injured Anthony Davis, were just too deep and too talented.

LeBron James of course spearheaded the attack with 30 points, 13 rebounds and seven assists but the Lakers also got 24 from Dennis Schroder and 17 off the bench from Montrezl Harrell. Edwards had 28 for the Wolves while Towns had 15. Malik Beasley finished with just 11 on 4 of 15 shooting.

The Lakers gave the Wolves an opening early in the form of 10 first-quarter turnovers, and early on the Wolves were up to the challenge. Edwards scored seven early as he had the ball in his hands plenty from the start.

But Towns would get in foul trouble later in the quarter as he picked up his second on a questionable call for bumping Montrezl Harrell..

It appears that the wolves have decided to turn Ant into a star, whether he is one or not. Last night KAT was clearly the second option down the stretch. (WTF is wrong with a franchise that has consistently turned away from its best player by a mile at key points in games throughout his career? They did it with Butler, Wiggins and now Ant. Perfect strategy to lose.) At this point Ant could turn into a top five or top 100 NBA player. Neither would surprise me. DLo is likely untradable this year because of the injury, so maybe they are trying to show KAT that Ant can be a viable partner. Whatever they are doing, it's hard to see a successful outcome.

Yes, Culver is another bust.

Wolves give up another late lead, and lose in overtime to Indiana

The Wolves have had a knack for making you feel like they might lose from ahead multiple times throughout the season, and that was in play again Wednesday when the Wolves led by six entering the fourth.

The Wolves relinquished a double-digit lead in the fourth quarter Wednesday night -- only to get it back again, then lose it again, only drawing out the anguish in a 134-128 overtime loss to Indiana.

Malcolm Brodgdon's top of the key three-pointer with 9.1 seconds left in the extra session clinched the win for Indiana as he and Domantas Sabonis feasted on the Wolves for 32 and 36 points respectively.

Karl-Anthony Towns had 30 for the Wolves but couldn't score in overtime, while Malik Beasley had 32..

Timberwolves fall in overtime after Edwards’ potential winner in regulation won’t fall

Advantage Edwards.

The rookie created enough separation to get off a look at a straight-on 3-pointer. The ball rattled, and rattled and rattled. And then it popped out. Somehow, it popped out.

That was the story of the night for Edwards, who went 3 for 15 from the field and 0 for 4 on 3-pointers.

Indiana went on to beat the Timberwolves 134-128 in overtime. Minnesota trailed by three with 30 seconds to go, but Malik Beasley turned the ball over, and Malcolm Brogdon drained a triple on the other end to essentially ice the game.

Domantas Sabonis starred for the Pacers, finishing with a triple-double of 36 points, 17 rebounds and 10 assists. Brogdon had 32 points, nine rebounds and seven assists..

A brief evaluation of Ant Edwards from The Athletic regarding an early checkup on this years rookies.;

Anthony Edwards, Minnesota (1st pick) — Edwards had a horrific start to his season, and his warts are obvious: He stands around off the ball, constantly loses awareness on defense and clangs rushed jump shots early in the shot clock. For his first 20 or so games, he delivered occasional flashes of brilliance but otherwise was a destructively bad player.

Lately, he’s turned the corner. One positive from the T’Wolves’ season going sideways is that they’ve had almost no choice but to hand Edwards the ball, let him run a jillion pick-and-rolls and hopefully develop his decision-making. It’s starting to bear fruit, as his last seven games, in particular, have been much more complete performances: He’s averaging 18.3 points with an uptick in efficiency in that stretch while boosting what had been a non-existent assist rate — 25 dimes against 10 turnovers. Even his bad games, such as a 3-for-15 against Indiana on Wednesday, have featured more plus passing and fewer head-slap mistakes.

Edward still settles for jumpers far too often, especially pull-ups inside the arc, which is maddening.

Nobody else in this class is capable of (some of the things that Edwards does physically). Edwards is 19 and still harnessing his impressive physical tools, and it may remain frustrating for quite a while going forward. But after a worrisome start, Minnesota has to be pleased with his recent progress. If there was a redraft tomorrow, he wouldn’t be the top pick, but he’d still probably go second
.<<<<

Pretty even-keeled review, and fairly spot-on from what I've seen.

I don't understand why the last two shots in regulation were taken by Rubio and Edwards. This. Is. KAT's. Team.

I don't understand why the last two shots in regulation were taken by Rubio and Edwards. This. Is. KAT's. Team.

Was a lane to KAT open for both? Didn't understand the 10-12ft shot that Rubio took either. Edwards? He had a good look and the shot rimmed out. Not gonna complain about that. KAT had 19 shots from the field, 12 from the line and 2 turnovers.

Not gonna go back and count, but that means he had a minimum of 26-28 touches. Nobody was ignoring him.

My complaint was Jaden McDaniels fouling Sabonis with a 2pt lead and 11 seconds left. That was also directly responsible for the loss.

A game where Beasley got 31, KAT had 30 and 10 rebounds along with just 2 turnovers and Rubio gets 20 with 13 assists and a single turnover? Yeah, they should win that game.

Would only say that Okogie, Vanderbilt and McLaughlin went 1-9. Edwards went 3-15. Though McLaughin did have 7 assists and a couple of steals and Edwards 5 rebounds and 4 assists.

Those guys combining to go 4-26?

THAT is what cost the Wolves a win last night.

Last edited:

Was a lane to KAT open for both? Didn't understand the 10-12ft shot that Rubio took either. Edwards? He had a good look and the shot rimmed out. Not gonna complain about that. KAT had 19 shots from the field, 12 from the line and 2 turnovers.

Not gonna go back and count, but that means he had a minimum of 26-28 touches. Nobody was ignoring him.

My complaint was Jaden McDaniels fouling Sabonis with a 2pt lead and 11 seconds left. That was also directly responsible for the loss.

A game where Beasley got 31, KAT had 30 and 10 rebounds along with just 2 turnovers and Rubio gets 20 with 13 assists and a single turnover? Yeah, they should win that game.

Would only say that Okogie, Vanderbilt and McLaughlin went 1-9. Edwards went 3-15. Though McLaughin did have 7 assists and a couple of steals and Edwards 5 rebounds and 4 assists.

Those guys combining to go 4-26?

THAT is what cost the Wolves a win last night.
Rubio's shot was hubris. He hit a couple of late shots, so he was feeling it. It was in traffic and the Pacers would give him that shot every time. I don't remember where KAT was on that play. The last play in regulation looked like a specifically designed set for Ant. My point is that it should have been specifically designed for KAT and that the wolves have a history of going away from KAT in end of game situations.

In terms of your other points, there's a multitude of other reasons the wolves lost. That's always going to be the case because it's not only one or two plays.

KAT is easily a top ten offensive player in the league and easily the wolves' best player. Let him make the final deciding play at the end--unless it's tank time.

Rubio's shot was hubris. He hit a couple of late shots, so he was feeling it. It was in traffic and the Pacers would give him that shot every time. I don't remember where KAT was on that play. The last play in regulation looked like a specifically designed set for Ant. My point is that it should have been specifically designed for KAT and that the wolves have a history of going away from KAT in end of game situations.

In terms of your other points, there's a multitude of other reasons the wolves lost. That's always going to be the case because it's not only one or two plays.

KAT is easily a top ten offensive player in the league and easily the wolves' best player. Let him make the final deciding play at the end--unless it's tank time.

Sure..:rolleyes:

This is just the team that keeps on giving ineptitude.
Jim Pete in a nice way was practically begging Saunders to play J-Mac at the end. His point was that Rubio's lack of speed and shooting didn't put any pressure on the defense when they really needed to get a couple of open looks.

Ant had one of the best dunks I've ever seen at the end of the third quarter.

Jim Pete in a nice way was practically begging Saunders to play J-Mac at the end. His point was that Rubio's lack of speed and shooting didn't put any pressure on the defense when they really needed to get a couple of open looks.

Ant had one of the best dunks I've ever seen at the end of the third quarter.

Yes he did he was also 3-14 including 0-7 from 3 and a -13.

Saunders late game issues have been well documented. He single handedly cost them that game against Orlando in January by not calling a timeout after a rebound and player positioning during the free throw that was missed.

this whole organization is a steaming pile of crap and it just never changes. KAT is a nice player but to think he’s a top 10 player in the NBA is a joke he lucky if he’s in the top 30 anymore. Combine that with his injury issues and pathetic defensive ratings and it’s not a good combination. Not sure exactly but it appears KAT took 2 shots in the fourth quarter which is just laughable.

I like using this website to view rookie rankings. They have Ball at 1 and Haliburton at 2.

Edwards is 10th and McDaniels is 17th

Saunders late game issues have been well documented. He single handedly cost them that game against Orlando in January by not calling a timeout after a rebound and player positioning during the free throw that was missed.

this whole organization is a steaming pile of crap and it just never changes. KAT is a nice player but to think he’s a top 10 player in the NBA is a joke he lucky if he’s in the top 30 anymore. Combine that with his injury issues and pathetic defensive ratings and it’s not a good combination. Not sure exactly but it appears KAT took 2 shots in the fourth quarter which is just laughable.

- Yep, Edwards was 3-14 including 0-7 from 3 and a -13. He was pretty bad last night. So was the team. Yet his dunk was the highlight shown everywhere. That's the NBA.

- At the 4 minute mark of the 2nd Quarter Raptors were ahead 40-23. Wolves took the lead, 59-58 with a minute left in the 3rd.

- Around the 4 minute mark of the 4th, announcer said that it looked like the whole team was "sucking wind". That everybody was just walking-up the floor. Probably because of all the energy expanded closing that deficit and getting the lead. KAT took a pass rom Rubio to lay in a shot at the 3:40 mark of the 4th. It made the game 81-75 Wolves.

It was the last points of the game for the Wolves

- KAT reentered the game at the 7:35 mark of the 4th. He did only take 2 shots in the 4th. Though it wasn't all he did:

6:24
i
Karl-Anthony Towns bad pass (Stanley Johnson steals)

Karl-Anthony Towns makes finger roll layup (Ricky Rubio assists)
Karl-Anthony Towns personal foul
Karl-Anthony Towns misses 26-foot three point jumper
Karl-Anthony Towns offensive foul
Karl-Anthony Towns turnover
Karl-Anthony Towns personal take foul (intentional)

- Jake Layman was located! He was 3-4 from the floor, had 8 points and was +14! Problem is the only other plus player was Naz Reid who was +1. And he was only 2-8 from the field.

- Rubio, Beasley and Okogie were -2 but think about that. In only a 5 point loss. Only 2 players were on the plus side. Geesus..

Last edited:

- Yep, Edwards was 3-14 including 0-7 from 3 and a -13. He was pretty bad last night. So was the team. Yet his dunk was the highlight shown everywhere. That's the NBA.

- At the 4 minute mark of the 2nd Quarter Raptors were ahead 40-23. Wolves took the lead, 59-58 with a minute left in the 3rd.

- Around the 4 minute mark of the 4th, announcer said that it looked like the whole team was "sucking wind". That everybody was just walking-up the floor. Probably because of all the energy expanded closing that deficit and getting the lead. KAT took a pass rom Rubio to lay in a shot at the 3:40 mark of the 4th. It made the game 81-75 Wolves.

It was the last points of the game for the Wolves

- KAT reentered the game at the 7:35 mark of the 4th. He did only take 2 shots in the 4th. Though it wasn't alone did

6:24
i
Karl-Anthony Towns bad pass (Stanley Johnson steals)

Karl-Anthony Towns makes finger roll layup (Ricky Rubio assists)
Karl-Anthony Towns personal foul
Karl-Anthony Towns misses 26-foot three point jumper
Karl-Anthony Towns offensive foul
Karl-Anthony Towns turnover
Karl-Anthony Towns personal take foul (intentional)

- Jake Layman was located! He was 3-4 from the floor, had 8 points and was +14! Problem is the only other plus player was Naz Reid who was +1. And he was only 2-8 from the field.

- Rubio, Beasley and Okogie were -2 but think about that. In only a 5 point loss. Only 2 players were on the plus side. Geesus..
Yup everyone came together to lose another winnable game.

KAT isn't a top ten player overall. (Probably top 30-35.) However, he is still a top ten offensive player because of his versatility. His injury issues are a problem and he looks out of shape. It doesn't help that the wolves pg's aren't a threat, so defenses can really focus on KAT.

Ant can really make some spectacular plays, but he's nowhere near ready to lead an NBA team. I'm not sure why they are trying to feature him so much--unless it's tank time.

Their losses are really predictable. If fans were allowed in TC, I'd bet actual live attendance would be around 2,500-3,000/game unless LBJ or Steph Curry was the opponent.

Zach LaVine is probably gonna be an All-Star this year. Thibs on June 22, 2017: Traded Zach along with Kris Dunn and Lauri Markkanen to the Chicago Bulls for Jimmy Butler and Justin Patton.

The Bulls still have LaVine and Markkanen. The Wolves?

Butler played here for a year, got the Wolves to the playoffs and then along with Thibs & Gersson Rosas destroyed the Wolves roster. And Thibs ends up with the Knicks.

"Lavine is shooting more 3s than ever (8.2 per game) and making them at a career-high 44 percent clip. His free throw shooting is hovering just below 85 percent, which is the only thing preventing him from posting a 50/40/90 season so far. LaVine’s effective field goal percentage is above 60 percent, and only four other players who are attempting 15 shots or more per game have a higher eFG% than he does—and the only guard in that group is Steph Curry.

“It’s really impressive because a lot of times it looks like he doesn’t think anybody is in front of him,” Donovan said of LaVine’s shotmaking. “He just gets it off so easy.”

LaVine’s workload has also grown this season, with his minutes up above 35 per game for just the second time in his career and his usage rate at 30.7 percent. And while Donovan has made a point to say the Bulls can’t rely on him to keep scoring at this rate, between injuries and absences, it’s exactly what the Bulls have needed to stay afloat.

As far as LaVine is concerned, this is the type of season he’s been working toward—the result of the kind of drive and work ethic that Donovan now praises every time LaVine has a big game. “I expect to do that. I put in the time and effort,” LaVine said after scoring a season-high 46 points against the Pelicans last week. “You guys know I’m not scared to miss those shots or take them.”

This season, LaVine already has 13 games of 30 points or more. He had 19 all of last season. His 46-point performance last week was preceded by 35- and 39-point performances. In his past two games, he’s combined for 67 points.."

“You see it so much, countless numbers of times,” White said after LaVine’s outing against the Pelicans. “From this year and last year, I’ve seen him come out blazing hot to where it’s like, ‘Is he really blazing hot, or is that just him?’”

Zach Lavine:
38 pts. - 15 for 20 -5 of 5FT - 3 for 6 3s - 4RB - 3AST - 3ST- 3TO Bulls 122 Kings 114

Markkanen
Out with strained RT shoulder

Butler
24 pts- 8 for 20- 10 of 12FT - No 3s taken -8RB- 5AST - 2ST - 5TO Heat 96 - Lakers 94

LaMelo Ball
7pts - 3 for 10- No FT - 1 for 5 3s - 3RB - 7AST - 2ST - 5TO Hornets 102 - GS 100

Wiseman
DNP-SPRAINED LEFT WRIST

Last edited:

The Knicks coach had a season of success in Minnesota, but his moves left the team struggling to recover.

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor fired Tom Thibodeau as coach and president of basketball operations a little more than two years ago. When the Wolves take the floor Sunday against Thibodeau's new team, the Knicks, only two players — Karl-Anthony Towns and Josh Okogie — who were on the team for Thibodeau's last day on the job will suit up.

That fact, combined with the Wolves' 7-23 record, underscores the reality of where the Wolves are as they try to get themselves out from under the decisions Thibodeau made using the president portion of his job title — a title he doesn't have with the Knicks.

Wolves President Gersson Rosas has been diplomatic when discussing the roster he inherited from Thibodeau. But there were a few times he let his thoughts filter out.

One time came shortly after the Wolves traded for several players, including D'Angelo Russell, in multiple deals last February and held a pomp-and-circumstance-filled news conference at City Center.

Rosas was asked when he realized the roster needed such an overhaul. He replied, "May 1," referring to his first day on the job in 2019. Then shortly after the Wolves won the No. 1 pick in August's draft lottery, Rosas was discussing what kind of timeline the Wolves might be on to be competitive again.

"For this organization, patience is probably more important than anything because as the Jimmy Butler-Tom Thibodeau experiment showed, the benefit of being all in and getting in the playoffs one year set this organization back," Rosas said.

Looking back, it's easy to say Thibodeau's gamble on Butler was the wrong move, given that Butler didn't mix with Towns and Andrew Wiggins. Thibodeau's foresight that Butler could turn a franchise into a title contender — something not a lot of people in the NBA thought when Thibodeau traded for him in 2017 — turned out to be a prudent prediction of Butler's leadership and talent. Except Butler took Miami, not Minnesota, to the finals last season..

9 point game and KAT can’t stop yapping at an official for a foul that was a foul. Gets a technical and it’s now a 21 point game. That’s some great leadership from you max franchise player right there. If Saunders had any stones at all he would sit KAT to start the next game to teach him to shut up on the court and play.

Top Bottom