2019 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Well, on the positive side of things, the Packers have to go on the road. Lord knows how badly a zimmer playoff team would have been pounded in GB next weekend. That would have been a free trip for GB to the SB.

Well, on the positive side of things, the Packers have to go on the road. Lord knows how badly a zimmer playoff team would have been pounded in GB next weekend. That would have been a free trip for GB to the SB.
I think Seattle takes care of that tomorrow.

If there is anything I know as a MN sports fan, is that bad things usually happen to my teams and great things usually happen to the teams I dislike most. Part 1 of 2 complete today.
I can almost assure the Packers are not winning the Super Bowl. Baltimore, KC and SF are all clearly better.

Also why I'm not that upset about today. SF was just better than we were. And we weren't winning the Super Bowl even if we won today.

Cut the old guys on D. Fix the $%^ offensive line for once. If Rick can't do it, get someone else.

I can almost assure the Packers are not winning the Super Bowl. Baltimore, KC and SF are all clearly better.

Also why I'm not that upset about today. SF was just better than we were. And we weren't winning the Super Bowl even if we won today.

Cut the old guys on D. Fix the $%^ offensive line for once. If Rick can't do it, get someone else.
Rick has had numerous years to do something about the OL. He hasn’t. Time for a new GM.

Rhodes can go. O line needs total overhaul. Team is moving in wrong direction

Looked like one team wanted the season to end. What an ass kicking. The score is deceiving, it wasn’t that close.

The game plan on offense was atrocious. It’s almost as if your offensive coordinator being distracted with interviews the week of a big playoff game is a bad thing. Oh and it was a short week too.

The Vikings have now lost 10 playoff games in a row after winning a playoff game. The last time they won 2 playoff games in a row was 1987. Now 9-17 in the playoffs since 87.

Rick has had numerous years to do something about the OL. He hasn’t. Time for a new GM.
I'm good with that. Hell let Kubiak be the GM. He did quite well as Elway's assistant last year.

Bye bye Rhodes, Barr, Griffen, Reiff, Elflein.
Elflein isn’t going anywhere, doesn’t he still have one year left on his rookie deal (I.e. cheap)? I was rather disappointed Barr didn’t go to the Jets. Why are you paying him 3-4 rush end money and using him as a 4-3 OLB? He’s a good athlete, but now grossly overpaid. The others should be good as gone, unless Griffin takes another big paycut to stay.

Elflein isn’t going anywhere, doesn’t he still have one year left on his rookie deal (I.e. cheap)? I was rather disappointed Barr didn’t go to the Jets. Why are you paying him 3-4 rush end money and using him as a 4-3 OLB? He’s a good athlete, but now grossly overpaid. The others should be good as gone, unless Griffin takes another big paycut to stay.

Keeping Barr was a mistake, but I assume we can't cut him 1 year into his new deal. We'd probably gain almost no cap space doing so. Have to keep him at least one more year.

Frankly, OL doesn't bother me. An elite QB can get by without a great OL. The Vikings have perpetually operated with "good enough" or less at QB. The Spielman regime has not drafted a QB since 2014. It's so damn important, and this organization continues to look for ways around finding a franchise QB. The Tannehill story is nice, but that's not the norm.

Frankly, OL doesn't bother me. An elite QB can get by without a great OL. The Vikings have perpetually operated with "good enough" or less at QB. The Spielman regime has not drafted a QB since 2014. It's so damn important, and this organization continues to look for ways around finding a franchise QB. The Tannehill story is nice, but that's not the norm.
Today’s game shows how important an OL is to a teams success. KC never had time to make throws nor did Dalvin have any room to run. All of that was because our OL got manhandled all game.

Today’s game shows how important an OL is to a teams success. KC never had time to make throws nor did Dalvin have any room to run. All of that was because our OL got manhandled all game.
This. It would't have mattered if Lamar Jackson was our QB today, we'd have lost. Likely even if it was Mahomes.

At least on passing downs, Barr should take over for griffin

This. It would't have mattered if Lamar Jackson was our QB today, we'd have lost. Likely even if it was Mahomes.
I disagree with that, at least with mahomes. Kirk's biggest downfall is inability to make off schedule plays

Still would be nice to have QB create time and or run a bit

Keeping Barr was a mistake, but I assume we can't cut him 1 year into his new deal. We'd probably gain almost no cap space doing so. Have to keep him at least one more year.
True. He's still in his prime too. Id keep him around. Would like to see him line up as DE on 3rd downs next season

It is, but at the end of the day, more than half the teams in the league are subpar on the OL, maybe more than 3/4 of the league. The issues run deeper.

Let's face it, the 49ers front 7 is loaded, absolutely loaded, with 1st round picks and high draft picks. Everybody is going to struggle with that defense. They're going to make most teams in the playoffs look bad.

The Vikings need to address the OL in the offseason, no doubt about it, but for everyone to make it sound like the Vikings front office is one of the only ones around the league that has been dropping the ball is just plain stupid.

There are only so many good OL to go around. It's a major league wide deficiency right now, not just in MN

Looked like one team wanted the season to end. What an ass kicking. The score is deceiving, it wasn’t that close.

The game plan on offense was atrocious. It’s almost as if your offensive coordinator being distracted with interviews the week of a big playoff game is a bad thing. Oh and it was a short week too.

The Vikings have now lost 10 playoff games in a row after winning a playoff game. The last time they won 2 playoff games in a row was 1987. Now 9-17 in the playoffs since 87.
To expand on this, they lost those 10 games by an average of about 17 points.

Looks like Stefanski is going to be the man in Cleveland. Good for him. We'll see how that affects the Purple

True. He's still in his prime too. Id keep him around. Would like to see him line up as DE on 3rd downs next season
They should have done that all along, IMO. Obviously Zimmer doesn't agree.

I wasnt impressed with his creativity. So not sad to see him.go
How creative can you be when your OL can’t hold up?
I thought he got much better as the year went on he started to really get a feel for how the offense could be run with the outside zone and play action.
new OC next year means we’ll have a new offensive philosophy for the third straight year. Maybe Adam Weber can coach the QB’s and help them through another transition

Getting completely owned on in the trenches. Spielman's repeated failure to address the O-line rearing it's ugly head. And they need to cut the old wood out of the defense (Rhodes, Griffin etc.)
How are we going to address all of that at once? We have a lot of money tied up in high level defensive players, and Cousins.

Elflien does not seem to be getting it done. Do we hope we can draft a couple more starting OL??

Hey @howeda7 , remember when you said Baltimore was clearly better?

You and I both know that, goddamned or not, the Packers are going to win today. Just that simple.

But I have faith that the 9ers are going to the SB this year.

Eric Wilson has played pretty well. Maybe we don't need a guy like Barr, at that cost, at that position?

Frankly, OL doesn't bother me. An elite QB can get by without a great OL.
Unless you have Russell Wilson running bootlegs out of the pocket every play, that won't hold up.

You can't have your interior OL getting b___-slapped around, like the 9ers and Packers did to ours' at times.

Now of course .... you have Cousins with his short drop-backs and as soon as someone gets a mitt on him he folds over. That doesn't help.

Top Bottom