2019 FCS Defensive Player of the Year enters portal.

Did we go a complete pass on him in HS? He went to North and pet his 247 profile had offers from UNI (where he’s transferring from), NDSU and Indiana - If accurate, maybe he wanted to be closer to home vs. than going to Indiana -

This is all I personally know about him. Haven't a clue if he redshirted etc.
  • CLASS2019
  • COMMITTED2/6/2019
General rule seems to be based on recruiting year:

2017-1 year left if you redshirted
2018- 2 years left if you redshirted
2019-3 years left if you redshirted
2020-4 years left if you redshirted in 2021

after that not sure if Covid year still applies so would guess that starting with 2021 guys we would be back to old rule of 5 years to play 4. But who knows at this point. I am just guessing based on how it seems to be going with players.

Brown has played 3 years so probably has 3 years to play 2 as a 2019 guy

He played as a true freshman in 2019, they had seven games in spring 21 (their 2020 covid season) which doesn't count, and then played in 2021.

So should be three two years left. Edit: 4-2 =2, I can't count.

Would seem like a great candidate to return home, if Fleck feels like he's a good fit culture and talent wise!

Last edited:

I wouldn't come to Minnesota if I were him. We already have two grad transfers at CB this year and a returning freshman All-American.

I wouldn't come to Minnesota if I were him. We already have two grad transfers at CB this year and a returning freshman All-American.
Maybe he locks down the outside opposite Walley and the other two battle for the nickel spot. If he's that good he shouldn't be scared off by the other two transfers.

Maybe he locks down the outside opposite Walley and the other two battle for the nickel spot. If he's that good he shouldn't be scared off by the other two transfers.

Sure, you can look at it that way - especially if he really wants to be a Gopher specifically. But if he just wants playing time at the P5 level, I'd guess there are many opportunities where there is a clearer path to playing time.

My take is that I don't think we will be in the picture at all on him and if he weren't from Minneapolis, we wouldn't even be discussing him on a deeper level.

Plus, the CB room has two young guys with tremendous potential/upside in Glaze and Ortiz. I think we would be playing with fire by taking a 3rd transfer CB in the same year. Like it or not, perception is reality with the transfer portal. If a young player thinks recent moves are cutting off their legitimate shot to playing time, there is nothing stopping them from leaving. I'd be much more bummed to lose Glaze or Ortiz (3 and 4 years left respectively) than I'd be excited to get this transfer with 2 years.

Sure, you can look at it that way - especially if he really wants to be a Gopher specifically. But if he just wants playing time at the P5 level, I'd guess there are many opportunities where there is a clearer path to playing time.

My take is that I don't think we will be in the picture at all on him and if he weren't from Minneapolis, we wouldn't even be discussing him on a deeper level.

Plus, the CB room has two young guys with tremendous potential/upside in Glaze and Ortiz. I think we would be playing with fire by taking a 3rd transfer CB in the same year. Like it or not, perception is reality with the transfer portal. If a young player thinks recent moves are cutting off their legitimate shot to playing time, there is nothing stopping them from leaving. I'd be much more bummed to lose Glaze or Ortiz (3 and 4 years left respectively) than I'd be excited to get this transfer with 2 years.
Good take. I agree that I don't think it is an important add at this point, unless he is just too good to turn down. I definitely don't think the plan is/was to take 3 transfer cbs. I think 1 would've been enough to be honest.

Top Bottom