2018 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Wonder who will get traded today.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24238769/deadline-day-questions-which-big-names-move-today

What about Brian Dozier?

The Minnesota Twins have traded Escobar, Lance Lynn, Ryan Pressly and Zach Duke, so Dozier is a possibility, although he's certainly more of a franchise icon than anyone in that group. He's a free agent and given his age (32 next season) and down year, the Twins may elect to let him walk after the season. While Dozier is hitting just .224/.306/.404, he has finished strong the past two seasons, slugging 17 home runs the final two months in 2017 and 23 the final two months in 2016. He could fit two teams:

Indians: Ranking 24th in the majors in wOBA at second base (.221/.299/.351), Cleveland also could use a center fielder, and trading for Dozier could mean shifting Jason Kipnis there, as they did last season.

Mariners: Ranking 22nd in the majors in wOBA at second base (.270/.318/.352), the Mariners have struggled to score runs in July, averaging just 3.47 per game entering Monday's game against Houston. They have Dee Gordon, and Robinson Cano will be back from his PED suspension on Aug. 14, but they could move Gordon back to center field, and Cano has already been told to break in a first baseman's glove.

Apparently close to a deal sending Dozier to Cleveland. That will make for an awkward next couple days.

Apparently close to a deal sending Dozier to Cleveland. That will make for an awkward next couple days.
That's a big middle finger to the fans. Our slim chance to catch Cleveland dwindles to zero.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's a big middle finger to the fans. Our slim chance to catch Cleveland dwindles to zero.

Dozier hasn't been very good this year. Shouldn't the fans anger be towards the players? They're the ones who have caused this to happen.

Dozier hasn't been very good this year. Shouldn't the fans anger be towards the players? They're the ones who have caused this to happen.
Bingo. Although, you can't blame players who have produced for things out of their control: Buxton, Sano, Santana, Castro. Those were 4 guys that were being counted on to be significant contributors. On a team with a thin margin, that's too much.

Sure they should. But this would be a signal that the team is giving up. We'll see what kind of deal can be made.....but it's a poor sign. Since Target Field has been open....how many times has the team made the postseason? Once? This is their ninth year. That's sad. And now they are going to blow up the team and say "a couple more years!"? I think it's bogus. They still have eight more games against the Indians. The FO is pretty much begging people to dump their tickets.

Sure they should. But this would be a signal that the team is giving up. We'll see what kind of deal can be made.....but it's a poor sign. Since Target Field has been open....how many times has the team made the postseason? Once? This is their ninth year. That's sad. And now they are going to blow up the team and say "a couple more years!"? I think it's bogus. They still have eight more games against the Indians. The FO is pretty much begging people to dump their tickets.

Trading a guy who's a FA in November is not blowing up the team. I don't want Dozier back next year at $18 million which is what will happen if they extend him a Qualifying Offer.

They've been to the postseason twice. 2010 and last year. Like howeda7 said, they are hardly blowing the team up. 3 of the 4 players traded already will be free agents in a few months. Dozier and Rodney have expiring contracts as well. The job of the front office is to try to win championships, not keep a team together that has less than a 5% chance of sneaking into the playoffs, then lose right away.

Agreed. It almost makes it simpler. If you don't extend the qualifying offer he just walks away and they will catch flak for that. Extend the offer and now you have him at 18. Yuck.

If he is not traded, it makes you wonder if the Twins are thinking they can resign him at a much lower rate than he was talking in spring training?

Done deal. Dozier to LA. Logan Forsythe and two very average prospects in return.
Aaron Gleeman says that the Twins got more for Escobar.

Done deal. Dozier to LA. Logan Forsythe and two very average prospects in return.

As they should have. Escobar is a better hitter, a better defender and can play multiple positions.

Escobar is a much better player this year. Dozier seemed to be a shadow of what he has been during the last 2-3 seasons. Appeared to me that his head wasn't in the game much of the time after he didn't get an extension. Maybe the change of scenery will give him new life.

As they should have. Escobar is a better hitter, a better defender and can play multiple positions.

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with Gleeman. Escobar was more valuable right now. And since the Twins sat on their hands a little bit, teams filled their 2B needs (Philly, Boston, Milwaukee) and brought down his value about as far as it could go.

Bingo. Although, you can't blame players who have produced for things out of their control: Buxton, Sano, Santana, Castro. Those were 4 guys that were being counted on to be significant contributors. On a team with a thin margin, that's too much.

Sano was beyond his control?? Try coming into camp without looking like a Panda bear- so disappointed in his lack of professionalism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sano was beyond his control?? Try coming into camp without looking like a Panda bear- so disappointed in his lack of professionalism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I worded my comment poorly. Rosario, Berrios, Escobar, Mauer, Garver, Rodney, Gibson, etc. did what they were supposed to do. Those guys I mentioned (Buxton, Sano, Santana, Castro) did not.

Congrats to Dozier going to my "other" team. Brian was a very good player for the Twins, but he really needed to be traded. Forsythe has been terrible the last two years so I don't expect him to be a Twin next year.

You gotta hope that te return will be good for these guys. Small sample size, but worth noting that the 3 pitchers we got for Garcia and Kintzler last year have been awful and 2 are candidates for outright release.

Winners and Losers From the MLB Trade Deadline - The Ringer

Good-News-Bad-News Propositions

Minnesota Twins (49–56, 8 GB in AL Central, 13.5 GB in AL wild card)

In: CF Gilberto Celestino, RHP Jorge Alcala, OF Luke Raley, 2B Logan Forsythe, LHP Devin Smeltzer, 1B/OF Tyler Austin, RHP Luis Rijo, RF Ernie De La Trinidad, CF Gabriel Maciel, RHP Jhoan Duran, RHP Chase De Jong, 1B Ryan Costello

Out: RHP Lance Lynn, RHP Ryan Pressly, 2B Brian Dozier, LHP Zach Duke, INF Eduardo Escobar

I guess the good news is that the Twins got a lot of prospects back, and they at least got something for all of their notable free-agents-to-be. By sheer volume, at least one of these guys should turn out to be good. While this fire sale doesn’t include anyone the Twins were building around, and they got back the best prospects they could, it’s still a bummer for a 2017 wild-card team that was supposed to be on the rise and turned out to be one of baseball’s biggest disappointments.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/...rs-manny-machado-chris-archer-dodgers-pirates

Was just looking through the minor league teams. Alex Kirilloff is hitting .381 for Ft Myers. Combined between there and Cedar Rapids he’s hitting .350 with 34 doubles, 7 triples, and 16 HRs.

I really like what the Twins did at the deadline. They traded players they had no interest in keeping beyond this season and got the best players they could for them. There was zero chance they were going to catch Cleveland.

I don't know why, but this just drives me nuts. There is no such word as "velo." If you mean velocity, say velocity. Every time Cory Provus on the Twins' radio network says "exit velo," I want to hit him with a tire iron.

There is such a word as velo - it's a town, a bike, a car; there's even an upscale apartment complex in Minneapolis named Velo.

I really like what the Twins did at the deadline. They traded players they had no interest in keeping beyond this season and got the best players they could for them. There was zero chance they were going to catch Cleveland.

Unfortunately I agree with this. It would be better if they were actually in the playoff race but the aren't so get what you can for what you had. Hopefully in a couple years we are at a point where we can then trade some of these prospects for a player that may make the difference in our playoff run.

Unfortunately I agree with this. It would be better if they were actually in the playoff race but the aren't so get what you can for what you had. Hopefully in a couple years we are at a point where we can then trade some of these prospects for a player that may make the difference in our playoff run.
Both Escobar and Dozier are free agents after the season. We could have both back if we want them and still keep what we traded them for. Very good moves by the Twins.

Both Escobar and Dozier are free agents after the season. We could have both back if we want them and still keep what we traded them for. Very good moves by the Twins.

Casual fans seem to have a hard time understanding this. The moves they made did not really negatively affect the team in 2019 and beyond. 4 of the 5 guys will be free agents in a few months, just like they would have if they weren't traded.

While none of the guys they received in the trades were high end prospects, they're still good enough that at least a few should help the team in some way (either on the field or in a trade later on).

I agree with the moves in general as we weren't keeping these guys and weren't going to win this year, but I don't know what evidence we have yet that Falvey and Levine are getting "the best players" we could for them. Everybody who exists in the Twins stratosphere makes these moves at the deadline, some have a record getting the better prospects than others. Our group has almost no history and the little they do have do not point to striking gold. It will be interesting to follow these guys in the next few years and see if any of these guys pan out. OVerall though, yeah you gotta make these moves.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
This is very disappointing to me. What a total lack of enthusiasm and future orientation. There's some talent down there that I personally would like to see, as much of a bummer as it's been to lose these well-liked and familiar players. I'll say it: it feels to me like Paul thinks he's bigger than the organization and has a hard time humbling himself to work within a power structure where he has to answer to people who are younger than him and who have never played in the bigs, much less don't have a bust in the Hall of Fame.

Top Bottom