2018 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

I'm very ok with this since I feared it would be for longer and more. One year at the minimum is really perfect. His play against Houston (only against Houston) showed he was worth a contract but the last 3+ years showed he isn't worth anything more than what he got.

He also had a very good game against Memphis in the Wolves next to last game of the season.

Not sure how you missed it but Rose will get $16.9 million with all but the $2.4 he's getting from the Wolves, coming from Adidas.

That is a very good deal for both Rose and the Wolves. Not sure that Adidas is gonna feel the same way.

He also had a very good game against Memphis in the Wolves next to last game of the season.

Not sure how you missed it but Rose will get $16.9 million with all but the $2.4 he's getting from the Wolves, coming from Adidas.

That is a very good deal for both Rose and the Wolves. Not sure that Adidas is gonna feel the same way.

I saw that. I don't care how much he gets as long as only 2.4 comes from the Wolves.

I see that they are talking to Nick Young and Amir Johnson. Is Thibs purposely trying to hurt me?

LeBron is headed to the western conference ... Lakers.

Also think Lonzo is now useless to the Lakers since LeBron likes to take the ball up and Lonzo can't shoot. Too bad no one will want him in a trade because of his dad.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I saw that. I don't care how much he gets as long as only 2.4 comes from the Wolves.

I see that they are talking to Nick Young and Amir Johnson. Is Thibs purposely trying to hurt me?

Could be worse. Bet J.R.Smith and Tristan Thompson are available... ;)

Does Leonard get traded to the Spurs? The Spurs will try to play hardballl obviously, even though they have very little leverage.

I hope Kahwi Leonard stays with the Spurs, plays about 15 games for them this year, and walks next year with the Spurs getting nothing. Popovich’s BS finally catches up with him.

Does Leonard get traded to the Spurs? The Spurs will try to play hardballl obviously, even though they have very little leverage.

I hope Kahwi Leonard stays with the Spurs, plays about 15 games for them this year, and walks next year with the Spurs getting nothing. Popovich’s BS finally catches up with him.

That's kind of interesting. Pop is universally well respected in the league as a person and a coach. What's your complaint?

That's kind of interesting. Pop is universally well respected in the league as a person and a coach. What's your complaint?

It seems to be widely reported/known (from the talking head NBA insiders on sports talk radio) that Pop was the one behind Tony Parker (and Ginobili?) for outing Kahwi Leonard during the season, calling out Leonard for not playing, his injury wasn't that bad, et al. If true, and nobody seems to be disputing it, that's pretty bush league by Pop. Leonard is a different cat, no doubt about it, but Pop has seemed to handle this like a low-class jackass.

He's a brilliant coach who has had the luxury of coaching Duncan throughout his career but maybe it's time to hang it up if you're that crusty and angry all the time.

It seems to be widely reported/known (from the talking head NBA insiders on sports talk radio) that Pop was the one behind Tony Parker (and Ginobili?) for outing Kahwi Leonard during the season, calling out Leonard for not playing, his injury wasn't that bad, et al. If true, and nobody seems to be disputing it, that's pretty bush league by Pop. Leonard is a different cat, no doubt about it, but Pop has seemed to handle this like a low-class jackass.

He's a brilliant coach who has had the luxury of coaching Duncan throughout his career but maybe it's time to hang it up if you're that crusty and angry all the time.

You have trouble with Parker telling the press that he doesn't get how Leonard can take a paycheck and not play than Leonard milking, or flat-out pretending to still be injured, to try and force a trade to L.A.?

You have Pop being the villain for wanting Kwahi to honor his contract and you're perfectly fine with Leonard not honoring it. Collecting his $19.8 million while sitting on his butt. A "butt" that wasn't even on the sidelines?

Kind of surprising.

We really disagree.

You have trouble with Parker telling the press that he doesn't get how Leonard can take a paycheck and not play than Leonard milking, or flat-out pretending to still be injured, to try and force a trade to L.A.?

You have Pop being the villain for wanting Kwahi to honor his contract and you're perfectly fine with Leonard not honoring it. Collecting his $19.8 million while sitting on his butt. A "butt" that wasn't even on the sidelines?

Kind of surprising.

We really disagree.

Ogee hates Pop because he spoke out against King Trump. That's why you won't see any other posts from him in this thread. Only Pop hate posts.

Ogee hates Pop because he spoke out against King Trump. That's why you won't see any other posts from him in this thread. Only Pop hate posts.

I suspect that if Pops and Jamele Hill were on fire and Ogee had one bucket of water, he'd dump it on himself and drive away.

Kind of surprising.

We really disagree.

Hey, I'm just going by what I hear on sports talk radio, and I"m not talking once or twice. It appears to be no secret. I've heard that Pop essentially "tasked" a few of the players to publicly call out Leonard. Right or wrong that Leonard continued to sit, I think that seems pretty bush for a head coach.

I like Leonard, he's a phenomenal player who came to the league with a certain skill set and made himself a much better player/scorer.

STrib: Butler receives maximum extension offer

The New York Times reported the Wolves immediately informed Butler and his agent that they will offer him a maximum four-year contract extension worth about $110 million when they are eligible to extend his contract on July 9.

It’s a good-faith gesture that’s unlikely to convince Butler to commit now, because he is eligible to earn nearly $80 million more from the Wolves if he opts out of his current contract and becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer.

The Wolves are intent on signing All-Star center Karl-Anthony Towns to a contract extension as well, a five-year deal expected to be worth as much as $187 million.

On Thursday, Wolves coach/president of basketball operations Tom Thibodeau called communication with Butler important and said he talks daily to a player whom he coached five seasons in Chicago.

“Every day we work at it,” Thibodeau said. “We know how important he is and we feel he’s one of the best players in the league. How you manage that on a daily basis is important.”

Asked if there is a path to extending Butler’s contract yet this summer, Thibodeau said, “There are options that we have, yeah.”

http://www.startribune.com/timberwo...r-receives-maximum-extension-offer/487074671/

Howl Wolves!!

RandBall: LeBron to the Lakers was worst-case scenario for Wolves

LeBron James signed with the Lakers on Sunday, which as I wrote a few weeks back was the worst-case scenario for the Timberwolves for a couple of reasons.

First, and quite obviously, it creates another almost guaranteed playoff team (and title contender) in an already loaded Western Conference.

The Wolves, who slipped into the postseason as the No. 8 seed (albeit with an impressive 47 wins) on the last day of the season, would not have made it had the Lakers — not a playoff team a year ago — finished above them. So it will be harder to flat-out make the playoffs next year, and it will certainly be harder to conceive of competing in a more meaningful way with the Lakers figuring to join Golden State and Houston as big-time contenders.

Second, the Lakers already had a salary slot for LeBron. It would have potentially been better for the Wolves had he gone someplace where they needed to create cap room by dealing away potentially enticing players. There could still be a trickle-down effect as teams who hoped to land LeBron turn to other options — particularly in a year where the salary cap is only increasing by $2 million — but more volatility could have helped the Wolves make deals and sign players at discounted rates.

Maybe the only sort of good news, at least for fans, is that LeBron could make two visits to Target Center instead of just one a year now that he’s with the Lakers.

http://www.startribune.com/lebron-to-the-lakers-was-worst-case-scenario-for-wolves/487116861/

Howl Wolves!!

RandBall: LeBron to the Lakers was worst-case scenario for Wolves

LeBron James signed with the Lakers on Sunday, which as I wrote a few weeks back was the worst-case scenario for the Timberwolves for a couple of reasons.

First, and quite obviously, it creates another almost guaranteed playoff team (and title contender) in an already loaded Western Conference.

The Wolves, who slipped into the postseason as the No. 8 seed (albeit with an impressive 47 wins) on the last day of the season, would not have made it had the Lakers — not a playoff team a year ago — finished above them. So it will be harder to flat-out make the playoffs next year, and it will certainly be harder to conceive of competing in a more meaningful way with the Lakers figuring to join Golden State and Houston as big-time contenders.

Second, the Lakers already had a salary slot for LeBron. It would have potentially been better for the Wolves had he gone someplace where they needed to create cap room by dealing away potentially enticing players. There could still be a trickle-down effect as teams who hoped to land LeBron turn to other options — particularly in a year where the salary cap is only increasing by $2 million — but more volatility could have helped the Wolves make deals and sign players at discounted rates.

Maybe the only sort of good news, at least for fans, is that LeBron could make two visits to Target Center instead of just one a year now that he’s with the Lakers.

http://www.startribune.com/lebron-to-the-lakers-was-worst-case-scenario-for-wolves/487116861/

Howl Wolves!!

Meh. Wolves need to take care of themselves before they worry about other teams. Need to get Towns and Wiggins to be stars

[URL="[/URL]

Like Rubio, I look forward to seeing what NB can do away from Thibs

Hey, I'm just going by what I hear on sports talk radio, and I"m not talking once or twice. It appears to be no secret. I've heard that Pop essentially "tasked" a few of the players to publicly call out Leonard. Right or wrong that Leonard continued to sit, I think that seems pretty bush for a head coach.

I like Leonard, he's a phenomenal player who came to the league with a certain skill set and made himself a much better player/scorer.

So, again, you're siding with the guy who refuses honor his contract but continues to take the money.

That was the "no secret" item from the last post.

[URL="[/URL]

David Aldridge Verified account

@daldridgetnt

Anthony Tolliver to sign with Wolves, per source. Great get for Minnesota.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Howl Wolves!!

Verified account

@JonKrawczynski
1m1 minute ago

Anthony Tolliver saw the way the league was evolving and changed his game to go with it. Took 365 3s last year and knocked down 43.6 percent of them.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Howl Wolves!!

[URL="[/URL]

Um, the Wolves waived NB to sign Tolliver (who I like) for $5 million or so. Wolves could have used another $3 million in space so they could have use the full $9 mil mid level. This was done to stay under the luxury tax line. Those deals to JT and Gibson really hurt this year.

Um, the Wolves waived NB to sign Tolliver (who I like) for $5 million or so. Wolves could have used another $3 million in space so they could have use the full $9 mil mid level. This was done to stay under the luxury tax line. Those deals to JT and Gibson really hurt this year.

Yep; that's how Krawczynski saw it too. Don't have a problem with that. Like you, I like Tolliver. Also think that Bjelica is a valuable player if he's alongside a PG who can get him the ball in places where he can score. He's not gonna get that here.

Any improvement in the roster will have to come in a trade and improvement from guys on the roster. Those I'm not that optimistic about.

Jon Krawczynski:

Wolves had somewhere in the area of $5.3 million to play with to avoid the tax. Figure it's right in there.

Can we get a new PG? Teague is not the answer.

Howl Wolves!!

Howl Wolves!!

Top Bottom