2017 Prediction - Table Turns, crowing concern Patino may leave.

Did Joe Pa knock up Rick Pitino's wife creating a basketball coached named Richard Patino?

Checklist for Gophers to establish residency in top of B1G conference in Men's Basketball:

1. Get lucky hiring a young coach who has ties to the state and would be happy freezing (living) in Minny.
2. Ride a few passed over blue bloods to the top of the conference for three or four years in a row and have them succeed in the pros. (drafted high)
3. Improve the stadium to match the Athlete's village.
4. Have a coaching staff that is loyal and can recruit like crazy until young coach has an established name.
5. Ride this coach till he retires.

Could this happen? Sure. Will it happen with Pitino? I don't know what would tie him to Minnesota. Musselman was the guy I thought could hitch himself to Minny for a career. Not aware of any Gopher grads that are young and are coaches who could fill the requirement.

1) partly, you do need an up and comer IMO, but someone who sees this as the sleeping giant that it is. I suppose some with ties here would be more likely, but as far as I am concerned Clem, Dutch and Mussulmen didn't have ties to the state. If they did, please correct me.
2) Agreed can't just go straight for five stars, need to find kids initially that are under the radar that fit your system and secure the top talent in your home state. It's definitely to our advantage to recruit those good three to four year guys, recruiting can improve with success. It seemed like every year Clem would send someone to the NBA in the 90's.
3) Agreed, The village will get us on par with our competitors and give our players the 24/7 acces to do things like get shots up or watch film that they haven't had, but other school's do. The barn definitely needs some work, be cool to give it some sort of modern look, where it can keep it's old charm. Keep the raised floor.
4) Having guys that recruit like crazy is important, these guys contrary to popular belief know the game, but talent always makes a coach look smarter. I think churning head coaches and having a coaching tree makes the job attractive too.
5) If it's Pitino great, if not hopefully the next guy etc until we find him.

Top Bottom