2017 Prediction - Table Turns, crowing concern Patino may leave.

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
Imagine for a moment a relatively drama free 2016-2017 basketball season (admittedly it's been a while). Then consider the following scenario:

-Mason, McBryer, Murphy, Lynch, Coffey put it all together.
-Another player besides above turn out to be a Murphy type player from last year or a Morris type from the year before.
-The Gophers finish 1 game above .500 in the Big Ten.
-They go on to be in the Final 4 in the Big Ten tourni
-Invited to the dance and win 1 game.
-Pitino has 2 top 150 players, 1 is top 50, ready to sign for 2017-2018, people actually begin to appreciate his recruiting skill (realizing no coach hits 100%)
-At end of 2017 season - after next year, view of Gophers is they will contend (win, questionable) for a Big Ten Championship in 2018 with all top 8 players back.

Because My wife tells me I'm never right, I will take credit for getting two previous Gopherhole predictions correct. 1) back around November I said the Gophers would win 3-4 Big10 games this year - ok, a little optimistic, 2) after Wisky made their 1st Final 4 run 2014, I said Bo Ryan would retire after the 2015 season - again a little optimistic, it happened 1 month into the 2016 season. I predict the table will turn at this time next year 2017 and everyone (ok, most) will be wondering how we can retain Pitino.

This is Gopherhole, the most bipolar place in the world. If the gophers are successful next year OF COURSE everyone will turn a 180 and discuss when Pitino will leave.

I will take credit for getting two previous Gopherhole predictions correct. 1) back around November I said the Gophers would win 3-4 Big10 games this year - ok, a little optimistic, 2) after Wisky made their 1st Final 4 run 2014, I said Bo Ryan would retire after the 2015 season

How can you take credit for getting these predictions correct when you didn't get either prediction correct?

This is an April fool's joke!

This is Gopherhole, the most bipolar place in the world. If the gophers are successful next year OF COURSE everyone will turn a 180 and discuss when Pitino will leave.

Pitino will be long gone win 2-4 years. He probably would be fired for sure, but Norwood and Beth saved his ass with that awful extension. Now, he will get fired eventually, or if he has some modest success he will bail out as soon as he can.

why?
-He will go somewhere where he can get guys into school easier
-He will move west or back east
-Get out of the Big Ten where he has realized it is very hard to sustain any winning momentum if you are not one of the top 5, premier teams
-Will seek out lower pressure situations where it is easier to be perceived as a winner
-follow daddy around
-Move somewhere there are lot more great players floating around that he can get a few into school like Monson has done at LBSU

The reality is Ricky took the job here because they offered him something no one else would, a power conference job for a guy with a nothing resume and daddy's name. Not even Rutgers, Washington State, or the dregs of the top conferences would have made that call.

I still do like some of the players he is bringing in but I still doubt he can coach.

Pitino will be long gone win 2-4 years. He probably would be fired for sure, but Norwood and Beth saved his ass with that awful extension. Now, he will get fired eventually, or if he has some modest success he will bail out as soon as he can.

why?
-Get out of the Big Ten where he has realized it is very hard to sustain any winning momentum if you are not one of the top 5, premier teams
-Will seek out lower pressure situations where it is easier to be perceived as a winner
-follow daddy around
-Move somewhere there are lot more great players floating around that he can get a few into school like Monson has done at LBSU

The reality is Ricky took the job here because they offered him something no one else would, a power conference job for a guy with a nothing resume and daddy's name. Not even Rutgers, Washington State, or the dregs of the top conferences would have made that call.

I still do like some of the players he is bringing in but I still doubt he can coach.

Perhaps, but I doubt it. My guess is that if he has a good year next year, which I think he will, and if he has another good recruiting class, he will stick around.

This is one of the worst threads we have had in a while.

People who have never taken over a poor organization or company and worked to turn it around really underestimate how much work it really is. That is why I have so much respect for Kill and his guys who did it 3 times.

Eventually he will leave. When or how is any ones guess at this point. What I doubt is that he leaves here for another top conference project. If he can bring in top 20 classes and compete for a top 5 Big Ten finish and make the dance most years at MN, then eventually he'll get the call from a Blue Blood. Until then, why replace your current project after doing the hardest part of the job with a new project. Plus the new practice facility will open next year. He is here through 2018 unless he gets fired (which aint going to happen as his buyout is still $6 mil after next season).

People who have never taken over a poor organization or company and worked to turn it around really underestimate how much work it really is. That is why I have so much respect for Kill and his guys who did it 3 times.

Eventually he will leave. When or how is any ones guess at this point. What I doubt is that he leaves here for another top conference project. If he can bring in top 20 classes and compete for a top 5 Big Ten finish and make the dance most years at MN, then eventually he'll get the call from a Blue Blood. Until then, why replace your current project after doing the hardest part of the job with a new project. Plus the new practice facility will open next year. He is here through 2018 unless he gets fired (which aint going to happen as his buyout is still $6 mil after next season).

If he can get the program up to, for example, a Michigan State level, and gets compensated accordingly, why would he want to leave?

If he can get the program up to, for example, a Michigan State level, and gets compensated accordingly, why would he want to leave?

If I can become, for example, the Queen of England, why would I keep my current job?

If I can become, for example, the Queen of England, why would I keep my current job?

Because it maybe pays more and is easier? Closer to home? More flexible hours? Or was this a rhetorical question? Sorry.

Not everyone wants to become the Queen of England. It's a position that comes with obligations and responsibilities that can be oppressive. So too, taking over a blue blood program can be oppressively demanding with less tolerance for performance laps. If Pitino turns the Gophers into a competitive program, he'll be worshiped like a god.

Not everyone wants to become the Queen of England. It's a position that comes with obligations and responsibilities that can be oppressive. So too, taking over a blue blood program can be oppressively demanding with less tolerance for performance laps. If Pitino turns the Gophers into a competitive program, he'll be worshiped like a god.

The point was that I have about the same chance of becoming the Queen of England as the Gophers do of reaching Michigan State's level. We don't need to concern ourselves with what Pitino will do if that happens, because it's not going to. We should be ecstatic just to make the Tournament at this point.

The point was that I have about the same chance of becoming the Queen of England as the Gophers do of reaching Michigan State's level. We don't need to concern ourselves with what Pitino will do if that happens, because it's not going to. We should be ecstatic just to make the Tournament at this point.

dp - I think the real question involves ceilings - what is Pitino's ceiling as a coach, and what is MN's ceiling as a program?

I'm not going to say it's impossible for MN to reach the levels of Mich State. Obviously, it hasn't happened yet, but I suppose it's possible with the right coach, AD, administrative support, fan support, etc. That's a lot of dominoes to line up, but it is at least theoretically possible.

As far as Pitino's ceiling, that's a lot harder to predict. Can he develop into one of those rare coaches who can recruit and win, and do it without breaking the rules? I don't know. If I'm being honest, as of right now, I don't see Pitino leading the Gophers to the promised land. Maybe he can become a great coach - but he's got a long way to go.

More like a 540 or a 720. The spin is higher and faster in the 'Hole.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dp - I think the real question involves ceilings - what is Pitino's ceiling as a coach, and what is MN's ceiling as a program?

I'm not going to say it's impossible for MN to reach the levels of Mich State. Obviously, it hasn't happened yet, but I suppose it's possible with the right coach, AD, administrative support, fan support, etc. That's a lot of dominoes to line up, but it is at least theoretically possible.

As far as Pitino's ceiling, that's a lot harder to predict. Can he develop into one of those rare coaches who can recruit and win, and do it without breaking the rules? I don't know. If I'm being honest, as of right now, I don't see Pitino leading the Gophers to the promised land. Maybe he can become a great coach - but he's got a long way to go.

I think the biggest ceiling is commitment. With adequate resources and strong fan support I don't see any inherent barrier to the Gophers becoming competitive at a high level. The Athlete's Village is a strong step in the right direction.

Imagine for a moment a relatively drama free 2016-2017 basketball season (admittedly it's been a while). Then consider the following scenario:

-Mason, McBryer, Murphy, Lynch, Coffey put it all together.
-Another player besides above turn out to be a Murphy type player from last year or a Morris type from the year before.
-The Gophers finish 1 game above .500 in the Big Ten.
-They go on to be in the Final 4 in the Big Ten tourni
-Invited to the dance and win 1 game.
-Pitino has 2 top 150 players, 1 is top 50, ready to sign for 2017-2018, people actually begin to appreciate his recruiting skill (realizing no coach hits 100%)
-At end of 2017 season - after next year, view of Gophers is they will contend (win, questionable) for a Big Ten Championship in 2018 with all top 8 players back.

Because My wife tells me I'm never right, I will take credit for getting two previous Gopherhole predictions correct. 1) back around November I said the Gophers would win 3-4 Big10 games this year - ok, a little optimistic, 2) after Wisky made their 1st Final 4 run 2014, I said Bo Ryan would retire after the 2015 season - again a little optimistic, it happened 1 month into the 2016 season. I predict the table will turn at this time next year 2017 and everyone (ok, most) will be wondering how we can retain Pitino.

I like this scenario.

why?
-follow daddy around

We get it, you don't like our coach. I think you are wrong, but I guess you are allowed to dream.

He will never get the blue blood call without winning the Big 10. Not a single AD of a top 25 program has him on any kind of short list. There are at least 150 better candidates minimum. He has not done anything impressive.

It can be done. The critical factor is hiring that extraordinary coach . That has not been done here.

It can be done. The critical factor is hiring that extraordinary coach . That has not been done here.

The extraordinary rarely show themselves until they do something extraordinary. Not saying I think Pitino is extraordinary, just saying you're a dink for making that claim as a badger fan on a gopher board.

He will never get the blue blood call without winning the Big 10. Not a single AD of a top 25 program has him on any kind of short list. There are at least 150 better candidates minimum. He has not done anything impressive.

It's hilarious how important and "in the know" you think you are. Such wisdom you bring to us lowly Gopher fans. You have yet to provide any actual substance to this board.

I want the Gophers to win ! i have season tickets here since 1992, Kohl Center since 1998. Hardcore basketball people like Jerry West, Al Maguire knew the Bennetts would build a winner. They were the ones Richter turned to at UW , then Bob Knight and West foe Sterk at WSU and Littlepage at UVA. Minnesota turned to Norwood Teague, emough said. Coach K and Boehiem went to bat for Tony Bennett at UVA. Pick spmeone who has won at places where winning was hard, really hard, regardless of level. Vet through people who have been to their clinics and who have coached against them. Quit hiring to win the news conference. Hire to win games.

Checklist for Gophers to establish residency in top of B1G conference in Men's Basketball:

1. Get lucky hiring a young coach who has ties to the state and would be happy freezing (living) in Minny.
2. Ride a few passed over blue bloods to the top of the conference for three or four years in a row and have them succeed in the pros. (drafted high)
3. Improve the stadium to match the Athlete's village.
4. Have a coaching staff that is loyal and can recruit like crazy until young coach has an established name.
5. Ride this coach till he retires.

Could this happen? Sure. Will it happen with Pitino? I don't know what would tie him to Minnesota. Musselman was the guy I thought could hitch himself to Minny for a career. Not aware of any Gopher grads that are young and are coaches who could fill the requirement.

Top Bottom