2016 MN Class

Jaykay

Reaction score
With some of these guys getting drafted, I was looking back at the 2016 in-state class on 247 to see how they were ranked and was pretty shocked at how loaded this class was. Best MN high school class ever? Let's lay it out.

I won't spend too much time on the Gophers in this class because we all know them well, but they included Carter Coughlin, Tyler Johnson, Kamal Martin, Thomas Barber, Sam Schlueter, Conner Olson, and Phillip Howard. That's a pretty incredible haul.

Other guys who went the Big 10 route include future Gopher JD Spielman (wink), Ramaud Bowman who was had a decent career at Northwestern, Patrick Kasl who was considered one of the best players in the class and went to Madison but quit the team to focus on academics, and possibly the best player in the whole class in Amani Hooker who went to Iowa and already has a year in the NFL under his belt.

Other standouts from this class:
-Dillon Radunz an O lineman from Becker was ranked as the 39th best prospect in the state; he was the FCS offensive lineman of the year last season playing LT at NDSU. Should be drafted next year.
-Tommy Doyle from Edina is the starting left tackle for Miami (Ohio) and was named first team All-Mac last season.
-Kayode Awosika from Maple Grove is the starting right tackle at Buffalo and was second team All-MAC last season.
-Elerson Smith from Minneapolis South was the 52nd ranked prospect in the class. He finished with 14 sacks for Northern Iowa last season and was a second team All-American; he's 6'7 and I imagine could also be a NFL draft pick next year.
-Isaiah Weston, another guy who ended up at UNI, by way of St. Michael-Albertville, led Northern Iowa in receiving with 1053 yards and 10 TDs.
-Added UNI note, because they are killing it recruiting in the Twin Cities, true freshman Omar Brown from Minneapolis North picked off 6 passes and was a third-team FCS All American as an 18 year old.

I remember this class being considered loaded at the time but it might look even better in retrospect, how would you rank these guys now??

Last edited:

Seth Green also deserves at least 50/50 Minnesota status as he was essentially an in-state kid who ended up finishing his high school career in Texas.

It was a crazy deep and talented class for Minnesota High School football. Definitely the exception and not the rule when it comes to typically Minnesota classes. That is not to say there are not good players in this state but the numbers each year are usually very limited, especially at the higher end of the class. Lots of developmental guys who go to smaller schools and turn into good players after multiple years.

Last edited:

Not sure how you missed him but Amani Hooker absolutely should be on that list as well. Went to Iowa, 4th round draft pick last year.

Seth Green also deserves at least 50/50 Minnesota status as he was essentially an in-state kid who ended up finishing his high school career in Texas.

It was a crazy deep and talented class for Minnesota High School football. Definitely the exception and not the rule when it comes to typically Minnesota classes. That is not to say there are not good players in this state but the numbers each year are usually very limited, especially at the higher end of the class. Lots of developmental guys who go to smaller schools and turn into good players after multiple years.

I listed Hooker, good call on Seth Green though, he's worth a mention as well.

Wow, what a nice job by Kill to make an emphasis to keep the MN kids home. I had no idea looking back at that class.

Quick add-in, I know Kill isn't Fleck, but he was doing good things here and had us more consistent. I think Kill would have had us consistently around 8 wins. PJ is more of a 9-11 and beyond guy. Row the boat ?‍♂️

Wow, what a nice job by Kill to make an emphasis to keep the MN kids home. I had no idea looking back at that class.

Quick add-in, I know Kill isn't Fleck, but he was doing good things here and had us more consistent. I think Kill would have had us consistently around 8 wins. PJ is more of a 9-11 and beyond guy. Row the boat ?‍♂️
Jerry said he would never sign a qb from mn again.

Antoine Winfield Jr actually did the same. Played youth football in Minnesota and finished in Texas. I believe Antoine played as a freshman at Eden Prairie before his pops got cut by the Vikings and moved to Texas. So, I would count Winfield 50-50 in-state, as well. He was same recruiting class of 2016.

To add to it, Drew Hmielewski of Marshall was also part of that '16 class. Ended up not staying with football, but a great athlete.

Last edited:

Top Bottom