2015 Recruiting Border Wars - Who Won Each State?

MisterGopher

Reaction score
The Battle for Each State
From MSN Sports
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/recruiting-2015-–-who-won-each-state/ar-AA92Lsq

Every college football coach talks about building a fence around his particular state. Or in the case of the most talent-rich regions of the country, it’s absolutely imperative to out recruit your in-state rivals for the region’s blue-chippers. In most instances, save for maybe Oregon, if you can’t bring aboard the best and the brightest from your own backyard, it’s unlikely that championships will be in your future.

Now that the dust has begun to settle on another National Signing Day, which schools actually followed through on the edict to win the local area? And which rivals are already a step behind before the first game of 2015 has even been played?

From Rivals
https://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=506348

Every year some of the best recruiting battles around the country happen within the borders of individual states between schools within those states. Rivals.com has taken a look at the early returns of some of these state contests and declared winners in most.​

From the MSN article:
Who won the state of Minnesota?

No one. Sure, the Golden Gophers added a pair of future building blocks in the trenches, O-linemen Nick Connelly and Bronson Dovich, but they whiffed on their two biggest targets. Four-star DE Jashon Cornell is off to Ohio State, while heralded OG Drayton Carlberg is headed west to play for Oregon.

Who won the state of North Dakota?

Minnesota. Jerry Kill and the Gopher staff plucked from Fargo the state’s highest-rated recruit, RB James Johannesson.

The Rivals link is for 2006. I read Tim Tebow and did a double take.

Oops. I just glossed over that one since it didn't have anything specific to Minnesota. Sorry.

Looking back in a few years we will see we won Maryland.

Who was the last Minnesota kid to sign with Wisconsin that we were also after? Maybe it is just me, but it seems as though we have seen a lot less of the MN kids going to Wisconsin or Iowa. The last kid that left and went to one of those schools I can think of was Malik Rucker who went to Iowa. But, maybe my memory is way off.

EDIT: I am too lazy to search Rivals as I am trying to finish up some work at the office before the weekend. :drink:

Tyler Marz from Springfield (my neck of the woods) has been starting on the Oline for wisconsin. He's a big boy.

Who was the last Minnesota kid to sign with Wisconsin that we were also after? Maybe it is just me, but it seems as though we have seen a lot less of the MN kids going to Wisconsin or Iowa. The last kid that left and went to one of those schools I can think of was Malik Rucker who went to Iowa. But, maybe my memory is way off.

EDIT: I am too lazy to search Rivals as I am trying to finish up some work at the office before the weekend. :drink:

That same year Keelon Brookins went to Wisconsin.

Top Bottom