2013-14 season

Interesting that there was no mention of Buggs for that PF spot. Or maybe Pitino did mention him, but Rothstein only tweeted the most interesting/surprising parts.

My guess is that the mention of Wally and Austin at the 4 were a discussion of how to add depth at the position if King is not eligible this year. Probably no knock on Buggs.

My guess is that the mention of Wally and Austin at the 4 were a discussion of how to add depth at the position if King is not eligible this year. Probably no knock on Buggs.

Good call. Must have been assumed that Buggs would be there either way and those two were the top candidates to replace King's minutes if he isn't eligible. That eases my mind. I am hoping for a good season from Buggs.

Interesting that there was no mention of Buggs for that PF spot. Or maybe Pitino did mention him, but Rothstein only tweeted the most interesting/surprising parts.
Pitino talked about Buggs a couple of months ago. He said something to the effect of, he has a chance to make the biggest improvments of any player, but that he is raw and needs to get stronger.

The tweet about Mo makes me think I shouldn't expect much from him this year at all.

Regardless if King is eligible or not, we are going to shoot A LOT of 3's this year and the majority of the time play 4-out and 1-in on offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dre lead the big ten in scoring this year. Malik Smith took over 8(!) 3's a game last year. Pitino gives his best shooters a green light and Dre is a better shooter than Smith. As others have said, it could be a roller coaster type year where we upset a team or two but also play some ugly games when our shots aren't falling. I'm really excited to watch Dre Hollins play in this system for 2 years.

Ok, Mav as a Captain is fine but the kid turns the ball over way too much and he's not a shooting guard. He gives great energy off the bench but I don't see him as a starter and any kind of threat from 3pt land. Hopefully Smith and Hollins' can provide the scoring from the outside. If King gets to play, I see giving Rick solid productive minutes.

Regardless if King is eligible or not, we are going to shoot A LOT of 3's this year and the majority of the time play 4-out and 1-in on offense. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dre lead the big ten in scoring this year. Malik Smith took over 8(!) 3's a game last year. Pitino gives his best shooters a green light and Dre is a better shooter than Smith. As others have said, it could be a roller coaster type year where we upset a team or two but also play some ugly games when our shots aren't falling. I'm really excited to watch Dre Hollins play in this system for 2 years.

Hopefully we see a lot of this...

Ok, Mav as a Captain is fine but the kid turns the ball over way too much and he's not a shooting guard. He gives great energy off the bench but I don't see him as a starter and any kind of threat from 3pt land. Hopefully Smith and Hollins' can provide the scoring from the outside. If King gets to play, I see giving Rick solid productive minutes.

Who is saying Mav will start? Also, he was one of our better 3 pt shooters last year. That may say more about the crappiness of our 3 pt shooting than anything, but he was arguably our best 3 pt shooter at times.

Wally!

I've always said, an athletic, active player in the 4 spot can be a substitute for beef and brawn. Elliott will have to put a body on people and play some help defense.

I would like to see Wally play tough defense and grab boards in the 4 spot. Undersized but he could contribute with energy and his obvious jumping ability. Maybe he worked on his shot this summer, instead of dunking...

Any particular reason why you think that? It's just a tweet but makes it look like his abilities aren't up to par.

Means he has things to work on, but so does everyone else. My feeling is he will contribute, but won't be a star.

Any particular reason why you think that? It's just a tweet but makes it look like his abilities aren't up to par.

1. It's just a tweet.
2. He didn't say anything about his abilities.
3. Mo has already played well for us when he was healthy and in mediocre shape.
4. We are lacking big guys so he will get A LOT of playing time.
5. I can't believe I had to lay this out for you.

As I said the other day- if Wally commits to rebounding he can carve out some nice playing time at the 3 or 4 this year. I like the creativity that Pitino is showing (or at least talking about)- not just slotting guys by size but instead trying to find ways to get the job done.

A lot of the trick is to create matchup problems on offense that don't turn out to be matchup problems on defense. Assuming a guy like Wally can make his shot more consistent, four long range shooters on offense shapes up as a matchup problem.

I saw somewhere that there are only a few hundred student tickets left.. awesome how many does William arena seat.

1. It's just a tweet.
2. He didn't say anything about his abilities.
3. Mo has already played well for us when he was healthy and in mediocre shape.
4. We are lacking big guys so he will get A LOT of playing time.
5. I can't believe I had to lay this out for you.

Since you thought not expecting much from Mo this year is foolish I would assume you do expect big things from him even after his coach was quoted as saying basically he has some work to do before that happens (whether is is just basketball knowledge or what coach P wants from him on the court or who knows what). Mo has never been a major contributor for the gophers so I'm tempering my expectations of him anyway. Mo has played well in spot duty and inconsistently in his extremely limited floor time so far. He has also played poorly at times as well. We lack depth in the paint so likely he will get minutes anyway but that in no way means he will be a major contributor. As I've already stated though it is just a tweet so leaves it pretty open to interpretation but it is far from a ringing endorsement of Mo as being a big contributor, starter, being consistent, playing a certain position, etc. like he has done with Andre and Austin.

Hopefully we see a lot of this...

"DREW HOLLINS!!!!" haha

That game was just so much fun to watch. Not just Dre going off, but it was just entertaining from the jump. I'd love it if we're in more games like that this season.

Since you thought not expecting much from Mo this year is foolish I would assume you do expect big things from him even after his coach was quoted as saying basically he has some work to do before that happens (whether is is just basketball knowledge or what coach P wants from him on the court or who knows what). Mo has never been a major contributor for the gophers so I'm tempering my expectations of him anyway. Mo has played well in spot duty and inconsistently in his extremely limited floor time so far. He has also played poorly at times as well. We lack depth in the paint so likely he will get minutes anyway but that in no way means he will be a major contributor. As I've already stated though it is just a tweet so leaves it pretty open to interpretation but it is far from a ringing endorsement of Mo as being a big contributor, starter, being consistent, playing a certain position, etc. like he has done with Andre and Austin.

How many players on the Gophers do you think the coach would say have no work left to do?

I take it as a challenge from coach to player to take the next step- now that he is in shape- to make himself a better all around ballplayer. Just as he told Elliot that he has to get stronger, the guards that they have to learn to take care of the ball, and so on. Hard to say what the coach thinks about Mo but it sounds like he thinks that Mo has a lot more potential to tap- and that's a good thing.

How many players on the Gophers do you think the coach would say have no work left to do?

I take it as a challenge from coach to player to take the next step- now that he is in shape- to make himself a better all around ballplayer. Just as he told Elliot that he has to get stronger, the guards that they have to learn to take care of the ball, and so on. Hard to say what the coach thinks about Mo but it sounds like he thinks that Mo has a lot more potential to tap- and that's a good thing.

Sounds like a believable interpretation of the tweet. It's up to Mo to show up and make himself into a good player.

STrib chimes in on line-up options:

A few possibilities of how the guards could fit in:

Lineup 1: Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Wally Ellenson, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

Lineup 2: Maverick Ahanmisi, Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

Lineup 3: Andre Hollins, Maverick Ahanmisi, Austin Hollins, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

Lineup 4: Andre Hollins, Malik Smith, Austin Hollins, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

Lineup 5: Deandre Mathieu, Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

Lineup 6: Andre Hollins, Daquein McNeil, Austin Hollins, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/226776731.html

Go Gophers!!

Lineup 1: Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Wally Ellenson, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

Lineup 2: Maverick Ahanmisi, Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

Lineup 3: Andre Hollins, Maverick Ahanmisi, Austin Hollins, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

Lineup 4: Andre Hollins, Malik Smith, Austin Hollins, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

Lineup 5: Deandre Mathieu, Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

Lineup 6: Andre Hollins, Daquein McNeil, Austin Hollins, Joey King, Elliott Eliason

Go Gophers!!

STrib is mighty high on Joey King.

Go Gophers!!

Some major editing issues going on at the STrib. Looks like the first half of the article was the rough draft (mistakenly said Frontcourt when talking about the Backcourt) and the 2nd half was the "final" version. Wonder how long it will take them to realize they posted two versions of the same article right after eachother.

STrib: Joey King decision could dramatically affect the Gophers' look

There is a good chance the Gophers will get some news this week about whether Joey King will be available this season.

The University of Minnesota has submitted a waiver request for King to be eligible right away – based on a family situation – and is now waiting for the NCAA to make a decision.

It’s an announcement that could dramatically affect how the 2013-14 Gophers will look.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/226920661.html

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Brilliant. That's a lot of words to say that the starting lineup likely will consist of Hollins, Hollins, King, and Eliason, with nearly everyone on the team a possibility for the fifth spot. LOL

Top Bottom