09-22 - Ioway - Loss
10-13 - Northwestern - Win
10-20 - Wisconsin - Loss
10-27 - Purdue - Win
11-03 - Michigan - Loss
11-10 - Illinois - Win
11-14 - Nebraska - Loss
11-24 - Michigan State - Loss

So there you have it. I think I'm being conservative, predicting 6 wins. 4 wins would be really disappointing, but with a couple of upsets the Gophers could tally an 8-4 record.

Am I being unrealistic? Somebody burst my bubble.

A bit early for predictions, but I think you're on the right track.
Spring ball will tell the story further, depth is still a serious issue here.
Injuries to several positions would hurt badly, especially in the secondary and at WR/TE

I see NW slipping this season a bit and for us to have a shot at Syracuse/Iowa/PU/ILL
W. Mich is not a gimme, but UNLV and New Hampshire better be if Gray is healthy.

I'll say 5-7 at this point, but anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4 could happen.

The way I see it, taking into account the skill level and inconsistency we've had the past years, nobody should be expecting anything better than 6-6.

Ok, I am not an expert but why would they lose to Syracuse?
Is there something I don't know about them, 1-6 in the Big East is certianly a worse record than 2-6 in the Big Ten.

I think 6-6 is likely but would a 4-0 non-conference and then a 2-6 conference schedule.

09-01 - UNLV - Win
09-08 - New Hampshire - Win
09-15 - Western Michigan - Win
09-22 - Syracuse - Loss
09-22 - Ioway - Loss
10-20 - Wisconsin - Loss
10-27 - Purdue - Win
11-03 - Michigan - Loss
11-10 - Illinois - Win
11-14 - Nebraska - Loss

So there you have it. I think I'm being conservative, predicting 6 wins. 4 wins would be really disappointing, but with a couple of upsets the Gophers could tally an 8-4 record.

I'm of the 8-4 glass half full variety.

I think they beat (very mild upset if at all) Syracuse and will beat either Iowa and/or Mich St. though I also agree it is still early for predictions.

If there is anything else I would predict, it is that they play very solid football and I highly doubt there will be any blowouts. I think the players are starting to believe in themselves.

I've been feeling 5-7 is a more adequate guess, but I'm secretly hoping for that upset game that gets us to a bowl. Kind of like the Iowa game this year...but without the losses in the nonconference schedule. Even the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl, I'd be happy for the progress. Plus, that bowl game is in my back yard. ;)

09-01 - UNLV - Win
09-08 - New Hampshire - Win
09-15 - Western Michigan - Win
09-22 - Syracuse - Loss
09-22 - Ioway - Loss
10-20 - Wisconsin - Loss
10-27 - Purdue - Win
11-03 - Michigan - Loss
11-10 - Illinois - Win
11-14 - Nebraska - Loss

Perhaps AdamWeberforPresident will chime in on this one.

Sagarin would have the Gophers as slight favorites, about 2 points, with the game played at home. I'm not saying this means the Gophers will win, only that I don't think it will be an upset for the Gophers to win.

Sagarin would have the Gophers as slight favorites, about 2 points, with the game played at home. I'm not saying this means the Gophers will win, only that I don't think it will be an upset for the Gophers to win.

Agreed. I'd be surprised if the Gophers are underdogs if both teams enter at 3-0 (I can't find Syracuse's schedule so I don't know how realistic that is or even if they play 3 games before then). If either team enters with a loss they will be the underdog I would think. I don't see Syracuse as any powerhouse that is for sure going to be favored.

As for the overall record, I hope we make a bowl, but as long as I keep seeing progress on the field I'm ok if we miss one. I would think by 2013 we should be bowl bound (even if the NCAA requires 7 wins as was brought up in a different thread).

I can't find Syracuse's schedule so I don't know how realistic that is or even if they play 3 games before then

Syracuse plays both USC and Northwestern before us, so they will for sure have at least 1 loss, and probably at least 2. Bizarrely, their 4th non-con game (which will be played in less than 8 months) is not even scheduled at present.

Given that they play a pretty powerhouse non-con relative to their status, it's probably safe to assume the game before us will be against the Upper Central NY School for the Deaf or some other such patsy.

Their schedule isn't finalized, but it looks like Syracuse plays Northwestern in week 1, and USC in week 2. Everything else is listed as TBA.

Syracuse's leader rusher A. Bailey 1100 of their 1700 yards rushing--graduated. Returning RB complement has 351 career yards, topped by J. Smith's 139.

QB Nassib, who was 2nd leading rusher with 194 yards and passed for 2685--graduated. Their other QBs didn't take a snap last year. Their entire QB roster has 5 college passing attempts total.

Top receiver Lemon 834 reception yards returns, but 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th leading receivers--graduated.

Three of their starting linemen--graduated.

Starting TE--graduated.

Nearly their entire offense will be brand new.

Orange's D is OK. Their 3 top tacklers return to a defense that gave up 28.5 ppg, 22 FD, 128 rushing pg and 258 passing pg, forced 21 turnovers and had 28 sacks.

I'd say we got a shot at home.

Their schedule isn't finalized, but it looks like Syracuse plays Northwestern in week 1, and USC in week 2. Everything else is listed as TBA.

Given the changes in the Big East they could very well end up with a Big East game the third week.

I predict 8-0, undefeated going into November and ranked in the Top 15. Wins over both major rivals. The unthinkable.

Then a loss to Michigan followed all sorts of "he can't win the big one" talk by the local media, and all of the late-October bandwagon-jumpers calling for a new coach and wonderwing why we don't hire Tony Dungy.

I'm feeling 12-0 at this point. I reserve the right to change my opinion.

I'm feeling 12-0 at this point. I reserve the right to change my opinion.

Nah, I'm probably selling us short, but we'll probably slip up somewhere, 11-1 is likely, 12-1 after the championship game. 13-1 after our BCS bowl win.

guys guys guys, were going 19-0 and a victory in NY for the SUPERBOWL

No way, it's going to be 15-0. Finish the regular season 12-0, win the conference title and the national championship game. Plus, the Gophers get bored during the bye week and decide to play an NFL team for a total of 15 wins.

The spirit of AdamWeberforPresident lives here!

I think you guys are forgetting the heat our boys will have to deal with in the desert for the opener, UNLV will have us right where they want...

I think you guys are forgetting the heat our boys will have to deal with in the desert for the opener, UNLV will have us right where they want...

hopefully KILL will stay hydrated...

Hopefully their starting quarterback doesn't play poker with a booster in a retirement home.

Both of the past two years, a lot of people had written off all of our non-conference opponents not named USC as automatic wins. I'm just hoping we can make it through that part of the schedule unscathed for once. September can't come soon enough!

Ok, I am not an expert but why would they lose to Syracuse?
Because teams constantly lose to teams they aren't "supposed" to. People should not simply expect us to run the table OOC.

I'm thinking 5-7 for now. I'd be happy with 6-6 and a return to a bowl game.

Both of the past two years, a lot of people had written off all of our non-conference opponents not named USC as automatic wins. I'm just hoping we can make it through that part of the schedule unscathed for once. September can't come soon enough!

Bingo. A 4-0 run would be a fantastic start, just getting that culture of reeling off a few wins at a time would be nice to get back to.

Bingo. A 4-0 run would be a fantastic start, just getting that culture of reeling off a few wins at a time would be nice to get back to.

Not only would a 4-0 start be nice I think it should be expected given the caliber of opponents we are playing in the non-conf schedule. 3-1 should be the absolute floor in that stretch. From there you would hope that 3 Big Ten wins would be doable but I would like to see more of what those teams are going to look like next year and also how we fill in the current question marks before making a conference prediction.

It would be nice to see an undefeated home record. We would have to win some tough matchups but I think we've got to do a better job of defending the Brickhouse.

They won't lose to Cuse.....nice 4-0 start for Kill and a Bowl game @ 7-4. Oh and Gray will move to WR after realizing that is the best position for him to make NFL $$$

Top Bottom