2012 - Drake Michaelson LB Eden Prairie

Nice, slick video package. :)

I'm no expert, and it's hard to get a good fix on how fast a guy is when he's coming unblocked as Michaelson was in many of those clips. But he seems to know where he's going on the field. He doesn't show explosive tackling - he looks like more of a wrap-up guy than a blow-up guy. But I'm sure we'll hear his name a lot, and I hope he wants to be a Gopher, because the Gophers will probably always be open to signing the two best players from EP.

I don't want to start a new thread on this (and I don't mean to hijack this thread), but does anyone know where a former Eden Prairie LB, Blake Sorensen of the Badgers, will end up in the draft? I would guess that he will get an undrafted free agent contract and be invited to a camp, but is a long shot to make a roster. My mother was asking me the other day since she works with Blake's mother, and I am curious now.

My buddy in EP said he is hearing from Gophs. Looks like a nice OLB prospect in our backyard. Has the speed, can add the size. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak2tyXJTOSQ

Definitely looks like a good prospect, he'll add speed and size over the course of a year.

On a side note, what software package are people using to create those highlight video's? Been trying to make some for my son and can't really figure out one that highlights the player. Could be that I'm cheap and looking for freeware. :)

Definitely looks like a good prospect, he'll add speed and size over the course of a year.

On a side note, what software package are people using to create those highlight video's? Been trying to make some for my son and can't really figure out one that highlights the player. Could be that I'm cheap and looking for freeware. :)

I'm not sure Hoop33, but one thing that i've heard is that coaches are annoyed when certain parts of the tape are sped up to make him look faster. If you watch this type, a large portion of it is in fast forward and it's really difficult to get a good look at how fast he is. Supposedly, that is a pet peave.

I'm not sure Hoop33, but one thing that i've heard is that coaches are annoyed when certain parts of the tape are sped up to make him look faster. If you watch this type, a large portion of it is in fast forward and it's really difficult to get a good look at how fast he is. Supposedly, that is a pet peave.

Interesting, I've never noticed, but of course I'll be looking for that now. Thanks for the heads up!

I don't want to start a new thread on this (and I don't mean to hijack this thread), but does anyone know where a former Eden Prairie LB, Blake Sorensen of the Badgers, will end up in the draft? I would guess that he will get an undrafted free agent contract and be invited to a camp, but is a long shot to make a roster. My mother was asking me the other day since she works with Blake's mother, and I am curious now.

Sorenson will at least be in someone's camp. Anyone who is as productive as he was in college (especially in a big-time conference) is going to get a shot. I doubt he gets drafted, but I was a bit surprised when Triplett was drafted. Of course, Triplett is bigger and as fast and that does count for something, especially in the eyes of scouts.

So, I'd be a bit surprised if he got drafted and if he does, it would likely be in the sixth round at the highest. He plays like someone who could be a real special teams dynamo.

Sorenson will at least be in someone's camp. Anyone who is as productive as he was in college (especially in a big-time conference) is going to get a shot. I doubt he gets drafted, but I was a bit surprised when Triplett was drafted. Of course, Triplett is bigger and as fast and that does count for something, especially in the eyes of scouts.

So, I'd be a bit surprised if he got drafted and if he does, it would likely be in the sixth round at the highest. He plays like someone who could be a real special teams dynamo.

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking as well -- a Nate Tripplett type player (except with a longer track record).

Yeah, at 190 lbs at the age of 16 this kid will certainly have the size to play LB.

If he is going to play in the Big 10, it will be at LB and then the real question will be his strength.

What is so remarkable about Sorensen's productivity? I didn't think he was a guy that would be worthy of even an invite.

I don't know if it's remarkable, but he led a pretty good defense in tackles. I think the Triplett comparison was probably pretty accurate.

I don't know if it's remarkable, but he led a pretty good defense in tackles. I think the Triplett comparison was probably pretty accurate.

Blake would have been better served red-shirting his freshman year. He could have finished as a solid two-year starter had BB not wasted his freshman year playing him on special teams.

It's hard to tell how fast a kid is on a video, but I will take your word at it. Does he have the frame to add 30 lbs?

I am not sure if he has the frame to add 30 lbs...
My initial reaction may have been a little strong, maybe there is a chance he could be a SS years down the road. It would be a real big gamble to bring him in thinking SS....if you were gonna bring him in as a safety may as well bring in a Veldman (eastview) or Rada (Eagan)....they are much better safety prospects. Veldman may be an NDSU verbal. Rada has a bunch of D2 offers and was getting lots of attention from the acadamies. Though These guys are different classes and are going to be in college next year.

Top Bottom