2011 All-Minnesota Team

Fun stuff, thanks for putting it together. But let's keep it FBS and FCS players...none of this MIAC crap

Fun stuff, thanks for putting it together. But let's keep it FBS and FCS players...none of this MIAC crap

I kind of agree. I don't mind an MIAC kid if he is one of the best players in the entire division, because I think those guys could play FCS and possibly FBS, but just a good MIAC player shouldn't be on the list.

+1

I think a lot of people don't realize how vast a gap there is between DIII and DI-A. The MIAC is the same or slightly better than 5A HS football in Minnesota. A good Florida or Texas HS team would absolutely destroy most/all MIAC teams.

I didn't put any MIAC players on the list.

+1

I think a lot of people don't realize how vast a gap there is between DIII and DI-A. The MIAC is the same or slightly better than 5A HS football in Minnesota. A good Florida or Texas HS team would absolutely destroy most/all MIAC teams.

Not true. St. Thomas could beat any high school team in the nation. And one of the best Florida or Texas HS teams could beat many MIAC teams and all UMAC teams, but no high school team would absolutely destroy a MIAC team other than maybe Carleton and Hamline.

I didn't put any MIAC players on the list.

Not true. St. Thomas could beat any high school team in the nation. And one of the best Florida or Texas HS teams could beat many MIAC teams and all UMAC teams, but no high school team would absolutely destroy a MIAC team other than maybe Carleton and Hamline.

It's sort of arguing something that can never be proven, but I kind of agree with Dpo.

Look at a team like Miami Central...just their senior class has 8 guys who will be playing D1 football next season. Every single one of those players would join the St. Thomas football team and be a starter, day 1 (probably not the QB), so 7 of the 8.

Almost every kid who starts for Wayzata, Cretin, Eden Praire, etc is good enough to play in the MIAC. Some of them choose not to and some of them choose to play another sport. But for the most part, i'd say 9/10 players at those schools are good enough to play in the MIAC. The best players are better than almost anyone in the MIAC. It bothers people for some reason, but I think JR's Wipson and Wright would be All-MIAC players THIS season. I think Lauer would go to an MIAC school and be a 4 year starter.

Now, Miami Central would blow any of those schools of the field.

I think Paul Cornick should get more consideration for the all-Minnesota team. He was named first team OT on both the AP All American list and the AFCA Coaches All-America list.

Marcus Williams was also named to the first team AP All-America list at CB.

I think Paul Cornick should get more consideration for the all-Minnesota team. He was named first team OT on both the AP All American list and the AFCA Coaches All-America list.

Marcus Williams was also named to the first team AP All-America list at CB.

Congratulations to both Marcus and Paul on being named All-Americans. On Cornick being put on the All-Minnesota Team, you're probably right. Cornick probably should have got the nod over Ed. I only spend an hour coming up with the players to put on the team, and an hour or two finding and writing down their accolades. If I followed the Bison whatsoever or noticed that Cornick was an All-American (the All-American listings came out after I posted the team), Cornick would have for sure made the All-Minnesota Team for sure (I put him on honorable mention). So, don't feel like I have a grudge against NDSU or Cornick.

It's sort of arguing something that can never be proven, but I kind of agree with Dpo.

Look at a team like Miami Central...just their senior class has 8 guys who will be playing D1 football next season. Every single one of those players would join the St. Thomas football team and be a starter, day 1 (probably not the QB), so 7 of the 8.

Almost every kid who starts for Wayzata, Cretin, Eden Praire, etc is good enough to play in the MIAC. Some of them choose not to and some of them choose to play another sport. But for the most part, i'd say 9/10 players at those schools are good enough to play in the MIAC. The best players are better than almost anyone in the MIAC. It bothers people for some reason, but I think JR's Wipson and Wright would be All-MIAC players THIS season. I think Lauer would go to an MIAC school and be a 4 year starter.

Miami Central over St. Thomas??
in certain aspects of the game, where speed and raw athleticism rule ( kick returns, speed rushing, etc), Central would have the edge.
but in all other aspects, St. Thomas would dominate... execution, etc. 22 year old men vs. 17 year old kids.
football is a team game..

tommies win: 40 - 14.

These kind of assumptions lead to folks thinking a highschool team made up of 15-18 years can beat a college team made up of 18-23 year olds. The assumption? The starters on Wayzata, Cretin and EDP are good enough to play in the MIAC. I will stick with CDH; the truth is there are kids on CDH football teams who couldn't make the JV teams at some Mn Highschool teams. However, they have team mates who will play at an elite level in college and the teams they play against usually don't have a player who will play D3 let alone D1.

Florida may have elite athletes with elite speed (the speed is vastly overestimated) but grown ass men with technique and college level schemes will win everytime.

These kind of assumptions lead to folks thinking a highschool team made up of 15-18 years can beat a college team made up of 18-23 year olds. The assumption? The starters on Wayzata, Cretin and EDP are good enough to play in the MIAC. I will stick with CDH; the truth is there are kids on CDH football teams who couldn't make the JV teams at some Mn Highschool teams. However, they have team mates who will play at an elite level in college and the teams they play against usually don't have a player who will play D3 let alone D1.

Florida may have elite athletes with elite speed (the speed is vastly overestimated) but grown ass men with technique and college level schemes will win everytime.

Good point Sportsfan24. It's not about the best players on these teams. Antonio Ford or Andrew Larson probably could have been in the top tier of running backs in the MIAC as high school seniors, but college teams are going to have more consistency across all positions than high school teams and that is going to trump (big time) the weaker links on a high school squad, especially given the age and technique differences.

Agreed. An average MIAC team would beat the best 5A Minnesota school by 70. Can't believe people argue otherwise.

I have to disagree with you Sportsfan24.

It's 16,17,18 year olds playing against 18,19,20,21 year olds. Teams cannot redshirt in the MIAC.

I also think your numbers are wrong on the amount of players who CDH plays against who will be playing college football. Lets just look at Wayzata...Antonio Ford (RB - D1 caliber), Underhill - RB (Probably a D2 kid, hurt most of the year. If he went D3, he would play immedietly) - Wright (sure fire D1 kid) - Lauer (D1) - Wipson (D1) - their QB (D2 QB) - the other RB (could certainly play MIAC at the minimum) - Their S (D2 minimum).

St. Thomas is an elite D3 school, so i'm not saying Wayzata could play with them. I'm not even saying that Wayzata would dominate the MIAC. I'm saying that the average D3 team would have a hard time with Wayzata.

I think some people here either played D3 or had a brother play D3 or don't follow MIAC football. If any of those players on that list went to Carlton / Crown / St. Scholastica / Gustavus....they would play and most of them would be the best players on the team RIGHT NOW. If Ford went to the MIAC, he'd be the best RB in the league the second he joined, Laeur and Wright would be All Conference caliber OL, the second they joined the team. Wipson, a JR, would be All Conference.

It's really common (much more than D1 or D2) for kids to contribute right away at the D3 level (especially the leagues that don't RS)

For instance, look at the numbers that a good FB Owen Schmitt put up at River Falls as a True Freshman. He was an all-conference, 1,000 yard rusher as a FB (and WIAC is better than the MIAC, they allow RS and WI does not have a D2 system).

Then when you substitute Miami Central in for Wayzata, I don't think Carlton would have the guns to stick with them.

Well its not as crazy as Alabama fans claiming that they could beat the Colts this year

It's not even in the same ballpark as that kind of crazy.
That kind of crazy would be like saying Eden Praire could beat Minnesota, they couldn't, they would get killed.

Saying Wayzata could beat a lot of MIAC schools is like saying LSU could beat some Arena Football teams.

I have to disagree with you Sportsfan24.

It's 16,17,18 year olds playing against 18,19,20,21 year olds. Teams cannot redshirt in the MIAC.

I also think your numbers are wrong on the amount of players who CDH plays against who will be playing college football. Lets just look at Wayzata...Antonio Ford (RB - D1 caliber), Underhill - RB (Probably a D2 kid, hurt most of the year. If he went D3, he would play immedietly) - Wright (sure fire D1 kid) - Lauer (D1) - Wipson (D1) - their QB (D2 QB) - the other RB (could certainly play MIAC at the minimum) - Their S (D2 minimum).

St. Thomas is an elite D3 school, so i'm not saying Wayzata could play with them. I'm not even saying that Wayzata would dominate the MIAC. I'm saying that the average D3 team would have a hard time with Wayzata.

I think some people here either played D3 or had a brother play D3 or don't follow MIAC football. If any of those players on that list went to Carlton / Crown / St. Scholastica / Gustavus....they would play and most of them would be the best players on the team RIGHT NOW. If Ford went to the MIAC, he'd be the best RB in the league the second he joined, Laeur and Wright would be All Conference caliber OL, the second they joined the team. Wipson, a JR, would be All Conference.

It's really common (much more than D1 or D2) for kids to contribute right away at the D3 level (especially the leagues that don't RS)

For instance, look at the numbers that a good FB Owen Schmitt put up at River Falls as a True Freshman. He was an all-conference, 1,000 yard rusher as a FB (and WIAC is better than the MIAC, they allow RS and WI does not have a D2 system).

Then when you substitute Miami Central in for Wayzata, I don't think Carlton would have the guns to stick with them.

Great points but I still disagree. Because I'm Lazy let's stick with 2 teams I'm familiar with. The 2003 Wayzata team and the 2005 CDH team.
Very few if any highschool teams have this much talent and future college players/stars on it.

The 2003 Wayzata team had Tommy Becker, James Laurantis and Dom Barber. Three awsome football players...okay that's 3 of 22 starters (not even counting special teams). Maybe I missed one or two players but you get my drift. Who were the other 19?

The 2005 CDH team had much more upper echelon talent. Kim Royston (He's my son you know?) Shady Solomon, John Lance, Mike Floyd, Broderick Binns and Matt Slater (starter on Boise State team). That's 6 D1 recruits on 1 team. 5 of whom would start! 4 all-conference players at the college level (yes..I'm counting Mike Floyd even though he doesn't play in a conference). And guess what? They lost to a Wayzata team who only had a marginal D1 player in Tommy Becker. Interestly enough Becker would go on to start at St. Thomas. So you telling me that CDH team would have beaten a MIAC team when they couldn't even win a State Championship? Hell they loss to Whitebear Lake that season...can you even name one player off that team? I know I can't. That team was super talented at more than a fewe positions but there were some kids on that team in the starting line up that couldn't make the sophomore team at Wayzata or EDP (White Bear Lake for that matter.)

No sir...I can't agree with you. SOME highschool teams may have better talent (higher ceiling) at one or two positions but MIAC schools have conciderable more talent across the board (higher floor). It's the kids who can barely chew bubble gum and walk at the same time that is the difference. Those kids don't exist in the MIAC and if they do they are light years better than their counter parts who suck on the highschool level.

When I was a freshman club hockey player at USC we got smoked by the best club team in the country, U of Arizona. We found out after the game that earlier that season they had beaten a D1 team, Alaska Fairbanks, 3-2.

Based on that totally irrelevant anecdote, and the fact that this argument will never be objectively resolved, I'll state unequivocally that Miami Central would beat St. Thomas by a TD if they were to play.

Great points but I still disagree. Because I'm Lazy let's stick with 2 teams I'm familiar with. The 2003 Wayzata team and the 2005 CDH team.
Very few if any highschool teams have this much talent and future college players/stars on it.

The 2003 Wayzata team had Tommy Becker, James Laurantis and Dom Barber. Three awsome football players...okay that's 3 of 22 starters (not even counting special teams). Maybe I missed one or two players but you get my drift. Who were the other 19?

The 2005 CDH team had much more upper echelon talent. Kim Royston (He's my son you know?) Shady Solomon, John Lance, Mike Floyd, Broderick Binns and Matt Slater (starter on Boise State team). That's 6 D1 recruits on 1 team. 5 of whom would start! 4 all-conference players at the college level (yes..I'm counting Mike Floyd even though he doesn't play in a conference). And guess what? They lost to a Wayzata team who only had a marginal D1 player in Tommy Becker. Interestly enough Becker would go on to start at St. Thomas. So you telling me that CDH team would have beaten a MIAC team when they couldn't even win a State Championship? Hell they loss to Whitebear Lake that season...can you even name one player off that team? I know I can't. That team was super talented at more than a fewe positions but there were some kids on that team in the starting line up that couldn't make the sophomore team at Wayzata or EDP (White Bear Lake for that matter.)

No sir...I can't agree with you. SOME highschool teams may have better talent (higher ceiling) at one or two positions but MIAC schools have conciderable more talent across the board (higher floor). It's the kids who can barely chew bubble gum and walk at the same time that is the difference. Those kids don't exist in the MIAC and if they do they are light years better than their counter parts who suck on the highschool level.

I do realize you were joking and actually thought it was funny but I must add....I can see your example and agree with it. I can see a football team at a college prep school beating an MIAC team. These kids are some of the best 18-19 year old football players (basicly an allstar freshmen team) in the country.

I'm a Cretin guy too, just a little older than your son. Go Raiders!
But that 2005 team, had some guys you are forgetting about:
Matt Carufel - D1 starter
Joe Schafer - WI, transferred back to St. Thomas
Ned and Rafael were a year earlier

Now we aren't even counting the number of kids who play D3, for instance, just a quick scan at this years All-MIAC team...3 kids are Cretin graduates. If you look at the NSIC this year....2 kids who are all conference are Cretin graduates.

So I would say, it's safe to say that on a really good Cretin football team, there are usually a handful of D1 kids, a handful of D2 kids who are ELITE D2 athletes, a handful of D3 kids who are some of the best D3 kids, then there are also the kids who play football who play a different sport in college (baseball, hockey, etc.).

Couple of other players to consider:

Jake Fahrenkrug (6'4 315) from Robbinsdale Cooper/NDSCS is the starting center for Florida State.

Collin Carroll from Edina (6'3 225) is a LS at Virginia Tech

In addition to Waiwaiole at Air Force, Alex Means from Mankato East (6'5 230) had 71 tackles, 9 tackles for a loss, 6 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 2 fumbles recovered and 2 blocked kicks.

Carter Bykowski (6'7 295) is listed in the two-deep at Iowa State.

Couple of other players to consider:

Jake Fahrenkrug (6'4 315) from Robbinsdale Cooper/NDSCS is the starting center for Florida State.

Collin Carroll from Edina (6'3 225) is a LS at Virginia Tech

In addition to Waiwaiole at Air Force, Alex Means from Mankato East (6'5 230) had 71 tackles, 9 tackles for a loss, 6 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 2 fumbles recovered and 2 blocked kicks.

Carter Bykowski (6'7 295) is listed in the two-deep at Iowa State.

Thanks Vames. It always helps when people post who I miss, so I don't miss the same people next year. Also, I was aware of Bykowski and Carroll, but I will definitely add Means and Fahrenkrug to honorable mention.

Thanks Vames. It always helps when people post who I miss, so I don't miss the same people next year. Also, I was aware of Bykowski and Carroll, but I will definitely add Means and Fahrenkrug to honorable mention.

As one of the locals, who tracks our top players from the state, here is the complete list I have for the previous 4 recruiting years. Although some have since departed or transferred to other schools.

2011 BCS/FBS

Tom Olson, 6’4 285, OL, Mahtomedi – Committed to Minnesota.
James Farrow, 6’0 170, DB, Minnetonka - Committed to Virginia Tech.
Peter Westerhaus, 6’4 225, TE, Holy Family Catholic – Committed to Minnesota.
Tyler Marz, 6’8 280, OL, Springfield – Committed to Wisconsin.
Anthony Hayes, 6’3 290, DL, St. Thomas Academy (4A) –Committed to Stanford.
Devin Crawford-Tufts, 6’2 180, WR, Edina - Committed to Minnesota.
Josh Campion, 6’5 300, OL, Fergus Fall/Fork Union - Committed to Minnesota.
Joe Bjorklund, 6’5 285, Rosemount – Committed to Minnesota.
Brian Athey, 6’4 215, Eden Prairie (5A) - Committed to West Virginia.
Grayson Levine, 6’0 190, DB, Eden Prairie – Committed to Minnesota .
Jake Fahrenkrug, 6’4 315, OL Robbinsdale Cooper/NDSCS - Florida State University (DI - FBS)
Myles Barnes, 6’5 215, Benilde-St. Margaret’s – Committed to Air Force.
Alex Meier, 6’2 200, LB, Anoka – Committed to Army.
Jimmy Manuel, 6’2 265, OL, Eden Prairie – Committed to Air Force.
Shane Taylor, 5’10 175, WR, Concordia Academy (3A) – Committed to Holy Cross.
Clay Horne, 6’7 200, TE, - Committed to Villanova.
Tyler Hamblin, DB, Cretin-Derham Hall – Committed to Columbia.
Colby Kratch TE University of Toledo (DI - FBS)
Cecil Doe WR University of Hawaii (DI - FBS)
Chase Nelson OL University of Toledo (DI-FBS)
Ernie Heifort, 6’5 225, Bemidji (4A) – Committed to Minnesota as a preferred walk-on.
Austin Harrington, 6’0 185, WR, Minnetonka – Attended prep school.
Torsten Rotto, 6’3 230, DE, Woodbury (5A) – Committed to Stanford as a preferred walk-on.
Jon Christensen, 6’4 275, OL, Minnetonka (5A)- Committed to Minnesota as a preferred walk-on.
David Platner, 6’0 160, K, Eden Prairie (5A) - Committed to Minnesota as a preferred walk-on.
Gavin Bronson, TE, Apple Valley (5A) - Committed to Minnesota as a preferred walk-on.
Jeff Hartman, LS, Cretin-Derham Hall (5A) - Committed to Minnesota as a preferred walk-on.
Mitch Hall, LS, Lakeville South – Committed to Missouri as a preferred walk-on.

2011 FCS
Wyatt Peiffer, 6’4 240, DE, Chaska (5A) – Committed to Northern Iowa.
Ezekiel Okeleye, 5’10 160, RB, East Ridge (5A) – Committed to Drake
Frank Veldman, 6’4 200, DB, Eastview – Committed to NDSU.
Joey Sonnenfeld, 6’4 200, DB, Osseo – Committed to North Dakota State.
Lyle Norman, 6’3 230, DE, Roseau – Committed to North Dakota State.
Josh Colville, 6’3 285, Minnetonka – Committed to NDSU.
C.J. Smith, 6’0 175, RB, Burnsville (5A) – Committed to NDSU.
Reggie Gandy, 5’11 185, RB, De La Salle – Committed to SDSU.
Eric Kline, 6’4 195, QB, Blaine – Committed to SDSU.
Cam Jones, 6’6 200, TE, Burnsville – Committed to SDSU.
Luke Marks, 6’6 245, OL, St. Thomas Academy – Committed to SDSU.
Nick Olson 6’5 250, OL, Richfield – Committed to South Dakota.
Nick Jacobs, 6’5 275, OL, Delano (4A) – Committed to South Dakota.
Jameer Jackson, 6’3 215, WR, Osseo – Committed to North Dakota.
Rumeal Harris, 5’9 170, DB, Eden Prairie – Committed to North Dakota.
Brandon Anderson, 6’5 285, DL/OL Sartell – Committed to North Dakota.
Weslee Kavanaugh, 6’2 270, Orono (4A) – Committed to North Dakota.
Will Ratelle, 5’11 225, St. Thomas Academy (4A) – Committed to North Dakota.
Dayo Idowu, 6’0 190, East Ridge (5A) – Committed to North Dakota.
Alex LaVoy, 6’1 200, RB, Mahnomen – Committed to NDSU as preferred walk-on.
Dan Wood, 6’4 250, DL, Pelican Rapids – Committed to NDSU as preferred walk-on.
Jake Lesar, 6’6 310, OL, Hermantown – Committed to NDSU as a preferred walk-on.
Joe Haeg,6’5 245, OL, Brainerd – Committed to NDSU as a preferred walk-on.
Tyler Finness, 6’4 180, QB, Andover (5A) - Committed to South Dakota State as a Walk-On.

2010 BCS/FBS
Seantrell Henderson, 6’8 330, OL (Cretin-Derham Hall) - Committed to Miami. Received offers from Notre Dame, USC, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, Florida State, USC, UCLA, Oregon.
Jimmy Gjere, 6’7 295, OL (Irondale) - Committed to MN. Received other offer from Wisconsin.
Beau Allen, 6’2 300, DL (Minnetonka) - Committed to Wisconsin. Received offers from Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Stanford, and UCLA.
Toby Okuyemi, 6’3 250, DE (Wayzata) - Committed to Nebraska. Received offers from Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Michigan State, and Wisconsin.
LaMonte Edwards, 6’2 215, LB/RB (Woodbury) - Committed to MN. Received offers from Iowa and Wisconsin.
AJ Tarpley, 6’2 215, LB (Wayzata) - Committed to Stanford. Received offer from Kansas State.
JD Pride, 6’1 190, QB (Totino-Grace) - Committed to MN.
Evan Williams, 6’0 190 RB - Committed to Wyoming - Did not qualify. Enrolled at Iowa Western.
Dylan Bungum, 6’4 230, DB (Triton) - Air Force Academy
Sean Marben, 6’5 275, OL (Eastview) - Navy
Connor McFadden, 6’3 265, OL (St. Thomas Academy) - Stanford Walk-on
Gage Schaeffer, 5’10 188, RB (Eden Prairie) - Iowa State Walk-on
Evan McMillan, 6’5 190, QB (Saint Paul Academy) - Walk-on Iowa Walk-on
TJ Fisher, 6’2 195, LB (Eden Prairie) - Iowa Walk-on
Jordan Prince, 5’9 175, DB (Eden Prairie) - Iowa Walk-on
James McGuire, 6’1 2’15 (Cretin-Derham Hall) - Wisconsin Walk-on
Gabe Mezzenga, 6’4 235, LB (Totino-Grace) - Minnesota Walk-on
Alex Bisch, 6’6 210, TE (Northfield) - Minnesota Walk-on

2010 FCS
Billy Turner, 6’5 290, OL (Mounds View) - NDSU
Grant Olson, 6’1 215, LB (Wayzata) - NDSU
Zach Vraa, 6’2 185, WR (Rosemount) - NDSU
Adam Schueller, 6’4 295, OL (Fergus Falls) - NDSU
Andy Pfeiffer, 6’0 190, RB (Mankato West) - NDSU
Carlton Littlejohn, 5’11 175, DB (Mpls North) - NDSU
Mohmamed Kromah, 6’3 300, DL (Totino-Grace) - Northern Iowa
Max Busher, 6’1 215, LB (Rosemount) - Northern Iowa
Brad Losee, 6’3 230, DE (Eastview) - Columbia
Eddie Hitchcook, 6’0 200, LB (Cretin-Derham Hall) - Columbia
Jason Schneider, 6’5 210, WR (Andover) - SDSU
DiJon Starr, 6’2 255, DL (Blaine) - SDSU
Nick Lee, 6’5 220, TE (Blue Earth) - SDSU
Zach Zenner, 6’0 210, RB RB (Eagan) - SDSU
Erik Dahl, 6’7 285, OL (Bloomington Jefferson) - SDSU
Isaac Rinehart, 6’4 260, OL (St. Thomas Academy) - Illinois State
Elliot Owusu, 6’4 200, WR (Cretin-Derham Hall) - Georgetown
Dan Freund, 6’0 185 (St. Thomas Academy) - Princeton
Spencer Cummings, 6’4 240, DE (White Bear Lake) - UND
Darryl Brown, 5’10 160, DB (Wayzata) - UND
Taylor Grant, 6’4 225, TE (Eden Prairie) - UND
Darren Peterson, 6’6 305 OL, (Maple Grove) - UND
Adam Shaugabay, 6’1 190, RB (Roseau) - UND

BCS Offers/Commitments (10)
Ra Shede Hageman, 6’6 290, TE (Minneapolis Washburn) - Committed to MN
Matt Garin, 6’4 220, DE (Eastview) - Committed to MN
Bryce McNeal, 6’2 170, WR (Breck) - Committed to Clemson
Moses Alipate, 6’5 230, QB (Bl. Jefferson) - Committed to MN
Ed Olson, 6’7 285, OL (Mahtomedi) - Committed to MN
Josh Campion, 6’5 265, OL (Fergus Falls) - Committed to MN.
Nick Rengel, 6’3 225, ATH (Sartell) - Committed to MN. No longer with team.
Casey Dehn, 6’6 265, OL (Owatonna) - Committed to Wisconsin
Corey Frazier, 6’1 175, DB (Eden Prairie) - Committed to Rice
Fritz Rock, 6’1 200, WR (Wayzata) - Committed to Illinois

BCS Walk-Ons
Reed Hornung, 6’2 250, LS (Anoka) – BYU.
Marcus Binns, 5’9 200, RB (Cretin-Derham Hall) - Committed to North Dakota. Iowa Walk-on
Taimon Moran-Hoyne, 6’4 265, OL (Bloomington Jefferson) –Iowa State Walk-on
AJ Barker, 6’1 180, WR (De La Salle) - Minnesota Walk-on
Zach Mottla, 6’2 280, OL (Cretin-Derham Hall) - Minnesota Walk-on
Joe Marek, 6’2 225, DE (Cretin-Derham Hall) – Notre Dame Walk-on

2009 FCS Offers
Cooper Wahlo, 6’2 175, DB (Woodbury) - NDSU
Leevon Perry, 6’4 270, NG (St. Agnes) – NDSU – In 2010, had 32 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 3 Sacks.
Cole Jirik, 6’4 220, DL (Northfield) - NDSU
Taylor Nelson, 6’5 230, TE (Minnetonka) – NDSU
Tyler Gimmestad, 6’3 285, OL (Marshall) - NDSU
AJ Voorhis, 5’9 190, DB (Champlin Park) - NDSU
Joey Blackmore, 6’2 190, DB (Albany) - NDSU
Andrew Nack, 6’2 300, OL (Osakis) - NDSU
Kevin Vaadeland, 6’4 245, TE (Park Rapids) - NDSU
Marcus Williams, 6’1 180, DB (Hopkins) – NDSU – 47 tackles, 4 INT, 12 PBUs.
Terrell Sinkfield, 6’1 190, RB (Minnetonka) - Northern Iowa
JJ Swain, 6’0 170, DB (Holy Angels) - Northern Iowa – 37 tackles (25 solo), 2 TFL, 4 PBU.
Varmah Sonie, 5’10 160, DB (Apple Valley) - Northern Iowa
John Onwualu, 6’2 215, LB (Cretin-Derham Hall) - Penn
Colin King, 6’4 225, TE (Holy Family) - San Diego Transferred from AFA.
Mark Kaczor, 6’3 230, TE (Saint Cloud Tech) - Yale
Rob Bathe, 6’3 290, OL (Wayzata) - Dartmouth

Michael Floyd, 6’3 195, WR (Cretin-Derham Hall) - Notre Dame
Willie Mobley, 6’3 275, DL (Eden Prairie) - Ohio State. Transferred to Arizona. -
Sam Maresh, 6’2 240, LB (Champlin Park) - Minnesota. Transferred to Iowa CC.
Joe Schaeffer, 6’5 265, OL (Cretin-Derham Hall) - Wisconsin. Transferred to St. Thomas.
Royzell Gayden, 6’7 285, OL (Cooper) - Minnesota. Two years JUCO. Transferred to Auburn.
Shady Salamon, 5’10 175, RB (Cretin-Derham Hall)
Brendan Kelly, 6’6 245 (Eden Prairie) - Wisconsin
Carter Bykowski, 6’7 290 (Eden Prairie) - Iowa State
Ryan Grant, 6’2 225, LB (Eden Prairie) - Minnesota
Brian Arnfelt, 6’5 240, DE (Stillwater) - Northwestern
Weston Peiffer, 6’4 230, DE (Chaska) - Western Michigan
Jon Caspers, 6’5 295, OL (BOLD/NDSCS) - Iowa State.
John Nance, 6’4 185 QB (Cretin-Derham Hall) - Minnesota. Transferred to St. Thomas.
Jordan Waiwaiole, 6’3 210, DE (Spring Lake Park) - Air Force
Alex Means, 6’6 220, LB (Mankato East) - Air Force
RJ Speidel, 5’8 185, DB (Cretin-Derham Hall) – Army
Justin Trejo, 6’4 304, OL (Cretin-Derham Hall) – Texas Christian University
Dan Edem, 6’2 220, TE (Eastview) - Northern Illinois
Mike Rallis, 6’2 215, LB (Edina) - Minnesota Walk On
Derek Earls, 6’3 220, LB (Waconia/NDSCS) - Arizona
Ben Kall, 5’9 224, FB (Rochester John Marshall) – Kansas State

2008 FCS
Tim Sauer, 6’8 290, OL (Rosemount) - Northern Iowa
Will Jackson, 6’0 235, LB (Eastview) - Northern Iowa
Hakeem Bourne-McFarlane, 6’3 200, WR (Bloomington Kennedy) - NDSU
Jason Obarski, 6’0 190, P/K (Apple Valley) - NDSU
Matt Veldman, 6’7 255, TE (Becker) – NDSU
Paul Cornick, 6’6 300, OL (Orono) - NDSU
Isaac Kolstad, SS, (Mankato East) - NDSU
R.C. Kilgore, 6’2 220, LB (Park) - SDSU
Zach Buchner, 6’4 300, OL (Coon Rapids) - SDSU
Dominique Clare, 5’11 200, RB (Delano) - SDSU
Thomas O’Brien, 6’2 190, QB (Winona Cotter) - SDSU
Cory Christianson, 6’2 280, OL (Holy Family) - Committed Illinois State
Sean Burns, 6’3 225, RB (The Blake) - Brown
Foley Schmidt, 5’9 190, K (St. Thomas Academy) - Dartmouth
Alex Schneider, 6’7 250, TE (St. Thomas Academy) - Holy Cross
Mark Muston, WR, (Benilde-St. Margaret’s) - Columbia

I'm a Cretin guy too, just a little older than your son. Go Raiders!
But that 2005 team, had some guys you are forgetting about:
Matt Carufel - D1 starter
Joe Schafer - WI, transferred back to St. Thomas
Ned and Rafael were a year earlier.

Now we aren't even counting the number of kids who play D3, for instance, just a quick scan at this years All-MIAC team...3 kids are Cretin graduates. If you look at the NSIC this year....2 kids who are all conference are Cretin graduates.

So I would say, it's safe to say that on a really good Cretin football team, there are usually a handful of D1 kids, a handful of D2 kids who are ELITE D2 athletes, a handful of D3 kids who are some of the best D3 kids, then there are also the kids who play football who play a different sport in college (baseball, hockey, etc.).

How could I possible forget Matt Carufel! Thanks for reminding me of the guys I forgot. That strengthens by point. A team with that much talent lost 2 games to high school teams, if they played a MIAC schedule they may have been competitive in a few games, maybe even have pulled an upset. However I don't see them winning more than 1 games.

I think you are right on the money Sportsfan24. You KNOW your football and you KNOW about the development of young adults, physically and emotionally and socially. You know that "mental toughness" and total committment and pride also are important factors. Logic, reason and ALL KINDS of reps at their positions also teach older dogs a few new tricks that those 17 and 18 year old "seniors" in high school just haven't had a chance at YET. Experience means a whole bunch! Raw talent and potential can be factors...but...I'd have to say that you totally win the argument here Sportsfan24...17 and 18 year old young men are just kids in so many ways...and that's exactly what they are supposed to be! They have FANTASTIC futures ahead of them if they put in the work, the time and have the chance to mature physically, to LEARN and grow and to gain from the expereince that only the next few years can give them.

Yes, it's true, youngsters: sometimes, talent and potential GROWS and expands with the "fullness of time..." Life is great...and...someties with time it even gets better!

And if you are lucky enough...you get to be really old, like me. Some things start heading the "other way" but, you realize that each and every stage of life has some truely remarkable gifts! It's NOT all down-hill after age 17 or 18. Not by any means. Why, I'm still having a lot of fun with 65 closing in on me!I will admit, though, that the 17 an 18 year old kids from EP or CDH would literally KILL me out on the football field... ; 0 )

Don't dis the MIAC: they have got the "student-athlete" thing down to a science...and there is a lot of good ball played at the DIII level all over the nation! In a lot of ways...I wish DI was a LOT more like DIII...

; 0 )

It's not even in the same ballpark as that kind of crazy.
That kind of crazy would be like saying Eden Praire could beat Minnesota, they couldn't, they would get killed.

Saying Wayzata could beat a lot of MIAC schools is like saying LSU could beat some Arena Football teams.
Not if they actually played Arena Football. LSU'd have to be able to score!
I take offense to this statement!
/sarcasm

No offense to Mottla or Wynn, but as Fahrenkrug started all 12 games for 8-4 Florida State, I think he should be the number ranked center.

Paul Cornick, OT, made two more all-american lists, the SportsNetwork/FatHead and the Walter Camp All-American. He has now been named to four all-american lists.

Top Bottom