2010 Schedule

Zeppelin Gopher

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas on who will fill the 2 open spots on the 2010 schedule? I know its standard operating procedure with the procrastinating Maturi in charge, but its still a bit unusual to have 2 open spots with about 15 months to go.

I'm assuming they won't be filled by a BCS Power or a 1-AA school since we already have those covered (USC and South Dakota).

Does anyone have any ideas on who will fill the 2 open spots on the 2010 schedule? I know its standard operating procedure with the procrastinating Maturi in charge, but its still a bit unusual to have 2 open spots with about 15 months to go.

I'm assuming they won't be filled by a BCS Power or a 1-AA school since we already have those covered (USC and South Dakota).

Unfortunately I think this is becoming more common now that small schools are demanding larger guarantee payments in return for traveling to your school. Michigan and Iowa each have 1 TBA...Wisky has 2 TBA's.

I don't have any inside information, but the 2 remaining teams should be MAC teams, or possibly Sun Belt or other lower FBS-level teams that don't require a check (or require only a small check).

I'd like to see them take on Wyoming or Iowa State. They aren't exactly "big time" schools and they're close enough to draw regional interest.

Syracuse?

When is the return game against Syracuse at TCF scheduled?

The Gopher schedule is available above in the Gopher football link.
2010-TBA, South Dakota, USC, TBA
2011-USC, NDSU, Miami-O, TBA
2012-UNLV, Cal, Syracuse, TBA
2013-UNLV, Cal, W. Illini, San Jose St
2014-Miami-O, Oregon State, San Jose St
2-15-South Dakota State, Oregon State, Ohio

I'd like to see them take on Wyoming or Iowa State. They aren't exactly "big time" schools and they're close enough to draw regional interest.

I'd love for us to play ISU as well but they don't have a non conference opening until 2018.

The Gopher schedule is available above in the Gopher football link.
2010-TBA, South Dakota, USC, TBA
2011-USC, NDSU, Miami-O, TBA
2012-UNLV, Cal, Syracuse, TBA
2013-UNLV, Cal, W. Illini, San Jose St
2014-Miami-O, Oregon State, San Jose St
2-15-South Dakota State, Oregon State, Ohio

One edit to this post - you have Cal written in for 2012 and 2013. I think you meant Colorado.

Thanks ParkingLot. I made the correction.

Blame it on Social Security!

Iowa State has stated that they will not schedule 2 games against Big Ten opponents...and I don't see them ending their annual matchup with Iowa anytime soon.

One year I spent hours combing through other schools schedules in search of other teams that were unscheduled on the same Saturday as us in order to figure out who we could play. Eventually we found an opponent who simply reshuffled their calandar. My point is that it is hard for the casual fan to predict the discussions and decisions amongst AD's.

My hope is that we can find a couple of well known non-BCS teams (like Southern Miss, Colo State, Wyoming, Hawaii, etc.) rather than a school of a lesser pedigree (like UAB, UTEP< Middle Tennessee, etc.).

If I were scheduling I would go after Hawaii very hard. They have an OOC Away game free for next year and the road game returned can be a 13th regular season game and played in December 2012. It effectively "doesn't count" towards the one OOC road game Minnesota plays every year. Not sure the Big Ten allows 13 games though.

Also, it would be nice to play someone better than South Dakota as a tune-up before USC. So I hope that date gets moved. Hawaii on 9/11 and South Dakota on 9/25.

And if you really want a great schedule, go to Salt Lake City and play Utah on 9/4 in exchange for a return-trip to TCF in 2011. If not Utah, it looks like Virginia also has the dates available. And Hawaii/ Virginia would have the added bennefit of being the same OOC schedule that USC has. Not to mention, there's a lot of talent in Virginia.

Anyway- probably just dreaming. Smart money is on a 2 for 1 with someone like UTEP and a paid-game against a MAC oppenent.

I remember hearing Brewster say at a luncheon or function that he would try to complete "filler" games with mid-tier teams that might do 2-for-1's and that are located in the heart of his featured recruiting territories.

I think he specifically mentioned teams like SMU, Houston, and TCU in Texas; Fresno State, San Jose State, and San Diego State in California, and a couple of different Florida schools.

I have no idea if that will happen but maybe they are looking to those type of schools.

I think he specifically mentioned teams like SMU, Houston, and TCU in Texas; Fresno State, San Jose State, and San Diego State in California, and a couple of different Florida schools.

"One of these things is not like the others...one of these things is different."

There's no way he mentioned TCU with the rest of those teams, unless he forgot his head for a moment. They are much, much better than any of the rest (including Fresno) and are certainly not the type of team we'd look to schedule if we're looking for some easy victories. And they are definitely not a "mid-tier" team.

"One of these things is not like the others...one of these things is different."

There's no way he mentioned TCU with the rest of those teams, unless he forgot his head for a moment. They are much, much better than any of the rest (including Fresno) and are certainly not the type of team we'd look to schedule if we're looking for some easy victories. And they are definitely not a "mid-tier" team.

Well, he never claimed "they were all the same." No two schools are the same. He was specifically talking about going into recruiting hotbeds where there are mid-tier schools (relative terms) to play. Sure, TCU is good, but they aren't Texas or Oklahoma or Texas Tech, etc. He never said he was looking for "easy wins." He mentioned he'd like to schedule "winnable games" in recruiting hotbeds at schools who would be willing to schedule us. He admitted TX and others probably wouldn't, but these other mid-tiers probably would. TCU probably would, but I doubt they'd agree to a 2-for-1.

And, I've got news for you, if he wanted "easy wins" then he'd likely have to exclude Fresno State, SMU, and Houston, too. It would not be a picnic to go play there. But, Brewster likes the recruiting advantages it could bring.

At least that was his line of thinking then. He had mentioned this at an event that was at least 18 months ago, maybe even 2 years ago.

OOC

As long as ISU wants to go with the (only play one Big 10 team a year), they will never schedule us again. They are mandated to play ioweeeeee every year by their politician's.

I'd like to see Rice down here in Houston. Makes sense if there's an opening. It'll also be interesting to see what
shakes out after the moratorium on FCS-to-FBS moves ends in 2011. If schools like Texas State and UTSA find
themselves in the FBS, they could make sense, as would North Texas.

I thought Timmy had sign Texas, for next year. :)

How 'bout you check back once ND actually ends up on your schedule? I do want to applaud Barry for getting the Madison press off his back with his clever press release though. Its pretty neat how everyone gave you props for trying to schedule the Domers rather than, ya know, actually scheduling them. Especially since it was based on the assumption that Purdue would quietly give up their best NC game to a B10 rival (that always seemed REAL likely btw). In the meantime please enjoy those tasty cupcakes.

How 'bout you check back once ND actually ends up on your schedule? I do want to applaud Barry for getting the Madison press off his back with his clever press release though. Its pretty neat how everyone gave you props for trying to schedule the Domers rather than, ya know, actually scheduling them. Especially since it was based on the assumption that Purdue would quietly give up their best NC game to a B10 rival (that always seemed REAL likely btw). In the meantime please enjoy those tasty cupcakes.

:clap::clap::clap:

Top Bottom