2010 Recruiting

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
With all the JC players Brewster signed last year, it will set up very nice for next years recruiting. I count about 31 seniors on the team next year. I will need help in knowing how many are on scholarship, but that is a great sign knowing the MN HS class has some excellent recruits in it next year.

It'll be a big class. Good ranking which will pacify some. Hopefully they'll take another step forward in quality like this year. combine that with the quantity of the previous year and we've got something special. Plus the Minn kids will make it even better.

Brew was quoted as saying that class should be a full one of 25 or so.

Here is a grid that I keep updated. (I've been accused of being a nerd, but I can deal with that!) I'm never going to claim this is 100% accurate, but it should be pretty dang close. By my count we'll have 24 seniors on scholarship next year, and that includes Brock. So I think we definitely will have our full allotment of 25 to give out.

http://robb.dominodeveloper.net/robb/gopherroster.nsf/RosterFB

That's really nice work CDuff. Thank you for providing it for us.

Good info cduff! One nitpick: Bennett was granted a medical redshirt and thus will be a redshirt soph in 2009.

Did he get the medical RS? Cool, it seemed as though earlier in the year that he wouldn't qualify. Very nice and great news for this program, as with most athletes with this injury it takes a while to get the confidence back in lateral movement, the next year is kinda wasted.

Good info cduff! One nitpick: Bennett was granted a medical redshirt and thus will be a redshirt soph in 2009.

The official roster (which looks like it was updated pretty recently) still lists Bennett as a junior. I was looking for media reports about this, but haven't heard anything.

Hey Cduff, any interest in putting something together for Minnesota HS talent. Say a top five per conference kinda thing. something to help bring visiblity to who the gophs might be paying attention to?

Here is a grid that I keep updated. (I've been accused of being a nerd, but I can deal with that!) I'm never going to claim this is 100% accurate, but it should be pretty dang close. By my count we'll have 24 seniors on scholarship next year, and that includes Brock. So I think we definitely will have our full allotment of 25 to give out.

http://robb.dominodeveloper.net/robb/gopherroster.nsf/RosterFB

the whole nerd thing was tongue in cheek. i'm pretty sure you got that, but i just want to make sure.

sometimes this board can get a little too serious:D

Stommes isn't a walk-on, but I guess that doesn't matter for the 2010 calculation. I saw on another thread that it appears OL James, a walk-on out of Edina from last year, is no longer on the team. Insight on that?

Stommes isn't a walk-on, but I guess that doesn't matter for the 2010 calculation. I saw on another thread that it appears OL James, a walk-on out of Edina from last year, is no longer on the team. Insight on that?

'
There's another thread on that fifty. Seems he wanted to play and didn't see the opportunity. Appears headed to the tommies.

Saw that. Thanks Schnoodler. Sorry if I wasted kilobytes. LOL.

Very nice. Completely awesome that you do that.

I see you made some corrections recently. The only thing I see on there that I would change is Keanon Cooper is an OLB, Royston is playing Safety instead of CB, and Pittman played WR last season. Not really a big deal with any of them.

I'm guessing some of the lineman will change positions (Wynn to LG?) and the projected starters will need to be updated but I'm not confident guessing them yet.

I think I'm probably stating the obvious but there is no way all 20 true freshman RS next year.

Very nice. Completely awesome that you do that.

I see you made some corrections recently. The only thing I see on there that I would change is Keanon Cooper is an OLB, Royston is playing Safety instead of CB, and Pittman played WR last season. Not really a big deal with any of them.

I'm guessing some of the lineman will change positions (Wynn to LG?) and the projected starters will need to be updated but I'm not confident guessing them yet.

Cooper is listed at FS on the latest roster. Not sure that it means much but the rosters were updated fairly recently.

I think I'm probably stating the obvious but there is no way all 20 true freshman RS next year.

I think he moves them once they play and lose that status. Just a guess, but that would be the correct nerd approach. And the right one from a datat perspective. Not that I know anything about data.

I think he moves them once they play and lose that status. Just a guess, but that would be the correct nerd approach. And the right one from a datat perspective. Not that I know anything about data.

Correct, I'll move them over once they've burned their redshirt. As a general rule, I use any hard data I can find. Right now the GS.com roster still lists Pittman as a QB, so I'll keep him there on the grid until he's moved on the roster or official depth chart.

The only time I speculate on things is when I have to, like if someone is listed as "DB" on the roster, and they haven't played, I need to file them under either SS, FS or CB, so I'll just guess. Otherwise if I start projecting that a redshirt freshman is going to play, or that someone is playing a different position, I'll lose track of things in a hurry.

Is Lee Campbell going to be at MLB? I wonder if he will be in the DE mix.

Campbell should stay at MLB

I suppose the new co-DCs could move Campbell again, but I don't see it. The DE switch was out of necessity to fill a hole two years ago. He went from marginal DE to effective MLB. I don't see the point of moving him. Maresh will hopefully be a force at MLB in the not-too-distant future, but we don't have that many experienced LBs for next year.

Campbell should be the starting MLB, unless someone beats him out. Then he becomes experienced depth.

I met the defensive quality control guy, as well as some of the other coaches, down in Nashville last month and I asked them this same question. They said there is no way he is moving to DE. The MLB spot is his to lose.

I thought Campbell did pretty well last year. And a year of slowly working Maresh in is probably the best thing for him.

People expect way too much out of freshmen. Give them a year to adjust. It's rare to see freshmen play as much as we saw this last year. That was necessity. It's not as necessary this year. It's a good sign if freshmen don't play. Freshmen playing says little about the recruits themselves and more about the depth of the team.

Top Bottom