2010 Rankings and Schedule

Goldmember

Reaction score
No one can say that Minnesota isn't going to be playing the best teams in college football in 2010.

The competition in the circle of rivals that I like to call the Big Ten West (Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota) should probably be better than it has ever been. Mark Schlabach has both Iowa and Wisconsin ranked in the Top 10 of his Way-Too-Early 2010 Top 25.

He also has Ohio State ranked #2, behind only Alabama. Minnesota will play all three of these teams. On top of that, Minnesota plays Penn State and USC who he has ranked in the Top 20.

This will not be exactly what the preseason polls will look like. But it will still have 5 Minnesota opponents ranked, with Wisconsin and Iowa ranked about as high as they ever have been in a preseason poll.

No one can say that Minnesota isn't going to be playing the best teams in college football in 2010.

The competition in the circle of rivals that I like to call the Big Ten West (Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota) should probably be better than it has ever been. Mark Schlabach has both Iowa and Wisconsin ranked in the Top 10 of his Way-Too-Early 2010 Top 25.

He also has Ohio State ranked #2, behind only Alabama. Minnesota will play all three of these teams. On top of that, Minnesota plays Penn State and USC who he has ranked in the Top 20.

This is not be exactly what the preseason polls will look like. But it will still have 5 Minnesota opponents ranked, with Wisconsin and Iowa ranked about as high as they ever have been in a preseason poll.

+1 Minnesota's SOS next year will be second to none

It'll be a great boost when determining which teams should be in the National Chamionship game :D

In all seriousness though lol, that is gonna be tough.

It is a really tough schedule. I guess if he ends up fired after next season he might have wished he has scheduled a few cupcakes.

It is a really tough schedule. I guess if he ends up fired after next season he might have wished he has scheduled a few cupcakes.

The Big Ten schedule will be the toughest of any team in the conference. However, that's not something Brewster or Minnesota can control.

Then you look at the 4 non-conference games:

Middle Tennessee State
South Dakota
Northern Illinois
Southern Cal

MTSU and Northern Illinois were bowl teams last year but they still play in the Sun Belt and MAC. Any school from a BCS conference has no good reason to lose to them. Then add in D1AA South Dakota. That's the definition of a cupcake.

Finally we have USC. That is the only game where one could objectively say they could have scheduled a cupcake instead. However, who would pass up the opportunity to play USC at home in a year of complete transition for that program? If there ever were a time to knock off big brother USC, it's next year. It about the most attractive NC game someone could hope for next year. Possibly the most successful program the past 10 years comes to TCF wounded. They still have unbelievable talent but new coach, new scheme, and a dinged image coming off a year where they played in the Emerald Bowl and got trounced (understatement) by Stanford and Oregon.

Brewster's first 2 years were filled with cupcakes in the NC. Last year, the only tough NC game he scheduled was Air Force and that was a home game against a WAC team. The Cal game was scheduled well before he arrived.

So over the course of Brewster's first 4 years, an objective person could look at his NC schedule and say the only games he scheduled that weren't cupcakes were Air Force and USC. The former was the opener of the brand new stadium against a WAC team and the latter is a matchup at home that is about as juicy of a non-conference game as a team could hope for...the best bet in 10+ years to beat possibly the best program in CF since the late 90's.

So over the course of Brewster's first 4 years, an objective person could look at his NC schedule and say the only games he scheduled that weren't cupcakes were Air Force and USC. The former was the opener of the brand new stadium against a WAC team and the latter is a matchup at home that is about as juicy of a non-conference game as a team could hope for...the best bet in 10+ years to beat possibly the best program in CF since the late 90's.

I don't think this is a fair criticism. If you don't give him credit for Cal (rightly as it was before his time) you can't give him guff for the weak parts of the NC schedule over the past 3 years as the majority of that schedule was also set before he got here.

I wasn't giving Brewster guff. I was responding to dburton's assertion that Brewster would be better off by scheduling more cupcakes. From my standpoint there are only 2 games in 4 years that could have been scheduled differently and in my opinion neither makes sense to switch

Can anyone tell me why we are playing at Middle Tennessee?

Couldn't tell you why necessarily that specific opponent (probably just dates matched up), but we can't open at home due to the State Fair contract issues, which I believe go away in like 2012. This wasn't a problem when we were at the Dome, but now that we're back on campus, it has become one. We opened @ Syracuse this past season, and will open up @ USC in 2011, and @ UNLV in 2012. Then we will be able to open up at home again.

It kinda sucks cause it's not the easiest of tasks to start off your season on the road, especially against decent opponents. These guys gotta be ready to go from the start of fall practice.

That guy has the Badgers at number 10? Not bad for a program in decline.

In all seriousness, the Gophers have an amazing home schedule and overall schedule in general. Shows the strength of the Big 10.

That is as good of a home schedule as I have seen. The funny thing is, it is the perfect time to be playing USC and an upset would still carry the same weight. Crazier things have happended.

I know the people that pay for season tickets at Camp Randall are jealous of that schedule.

Anyone that does not renew their tickets does not like football.

Don't sleep on Northern Illinois. They beat Purdue and played the Badgers tough.

"It kinda sucks cause it's not the easiest of tasks to start off your season on the road, especially against decent opponents. These guys gotta be ready to go from the start of fall practice."

Right around half of the teams do it.

That guy has the Badgers at number 10? Not bad for a program in decline.

In all seriousness, the Gophers have an amazing home schedule and overall schedule in general. Shows the strength of the Big 10.

That is as good of a home schedule as I have seen. The funny thing is, it is the perfect time to be playing USC and an upset would still carry the same weight. Crazier things have happended.

I know the people that pay for season tickets at Camp Randall are jealous of that schedule.

Anyone that does not renew their tickets does not like football.

Don't sleep on Northern Illinois. They beat Purdue and played the Badgers tough.

I thought for sure Iowa was the worst top ten team ever, but it looks like you guys are going to give them a run for their money! ;) After your bowl game, I certainly believe you are deserving of preseason top 25. Top ten, not so much. Our worst B10 home game is against the #5 team in the B10 from last year. It will be a great season for home games, indeed. Sadly, we have very few easy W's, which could provide plenty of fodder for Brewster bashers. 7-5 or 8-4 with that schedule will be an accomplishment, but will not be recognized as such by many. 5-7 or 6-6 could be disappointing (and disastrous for Brewster), but realistic outcomes.

"It kinda sucks cause it's not the easiest of tasks to start off your season on the road, especially against decent opponents. These guys gotta be ready to go from the start of fall practice."

You're hilarious.

How many teams do it several years in a row?

How many Big Ten teams did it last year? One, us. The year before? Two, MSU and Illinois (neutral site). The year before? Two, Iowa and Purdue. I'm not gonna look at all the BCS conferences, but I don't think you see too many BCS conference teams start their seasons on the road, and definitely not four years in a row. Usually BCS schools are playing the patsies at home, except for the few big games on opening week matching up BCS squads. But to do it four years in a row, that's tough.

How many Big Ten teams did it last year? One, us. The year before? Two, MSU and Illinois (neutral site). The year before? Two, Iowa and Purdue. I'm not gonna look at all the BCS conferences, but I don't think you see too many BCS conference teams start their seasons on the road, and definitely not four years in a row. Usually BCS schools are playing the patsies at home, except for the few big games on opening week matching up BCS squads. But to do it four years in a row, that's tough.

I based my original statement on my thought that in every game there is a home team and an away team. Therefore the percentages would be 'close' to 50-50.

In regards to your point that most BCS teams open at home(which I'm sure is correct)....what does that say about the non-BCS teams?

I wasn't giving Brewster guff. I was responding to dburton's assertion that Brewster would be better off by scheduling more cupcakes. From my standpoint there are only 2 games in 4 years that could have been scheduled differently and in my opinion neither makes sense to switch

My bad! I misread your point. :) We are in agreement on the above.

I based my original statement on my thought that in every game there is a home team and an away team. Therefore the percentages would be 'close' to 50-50.

In regards to your point that most BCS teams open at home(which I'm sure is correct)....what does that say about the non-BCS teams?

They usually start 0-1 lol.

NO. There is absolutely no reasonable excuse for this scheduling blunder.The "State Fair contract" excuse for this is like saying I "had to" cut off my hands becuase my fingers were so cold. But I know of plenty of reasons why it makes no sense.

It's true that most BCS teams open at home. And it is true that it's a very difficult thing to do. Look at what happened to Oregon @ Boise State. But this is exactly why this slot on the schedule was one of the most valuable in college fotball. So few teams from major conferences are willing to travel that week. It makes no sense to give the date away to a Sun Belt program.

NO. There is absolutely no reasonable excuse for this scheduling blunder.The "State Fair contract" excuse for this is like saying I "had to" cut off my hands becuase my fingers were so cold. But I know of plenty of reasons why it makes no sense.

It's true that most BCS teams open at home. And it is true that it's a very difficult thing to do. Look at what happened to Oregon @ Boise State. But this is exactly why this slot on the schedule was one of the most valuable in college fotball. So few teams from major conferences are willing to travel that week. It makes no sense to give the date away to a Sun Belt program.

I'm confused. Are you saying they should have scheduled at home State Fair contract be damned? Or are you saying we should have played a better opponent (read: BCS or Boise State/TCU type non BCS) on the road?

I'm confused. Are you saying they should have scheduled at home State Fair contract be damned? Or are you saying we should have played a better opponent (read: BCS or Boise State/TCU type non BCS) on the road?

MTSU is deceptively good. They are in a different class than most of the Sunbelt. Most Sunbelt team repeatedly get blown-out by BCS-conference teams. MTSU has been competetive in the last few years. They beat Maryland twice. But no one in Minnesota is going to recognize this -- or care. Minnesota has a lot to lose by playing this game and not much to gain. I would think we would want to avoid games like this.

AD's complain about the ridiculous demand of non-AQ schools like MTSU. Yet, they continue to do business with them.

IMO, a game against a low-end/struggling BCS-conference opponent like Texas A&M or Virginia wouldn't have been a significantly more difficult road trip and creates some value on the return trip. And most teams would jump at the opportunity to host a Big Ten sopponent in the opening weekend.

Top Bottom