2010 Gophers TV Schedule Predictions

gophersfan

Reaction score
9/02 At Middle Tennessee State ESPNU (Night game)
9/11 South Dakota BTN
9/18 Southern California ABC (Night game)
9/25 Northern Illinois BTN
10/2 Northwestern BTN
10/9 At Wisconsin ESPN
10/16 At Purdue BTN
10/23 Penn State ESPN
10/30 Ohio State ESPN
11/6 At Michigan State BTN
11/13 At Illinois BTN
11/27 Iowa ESPN

These are guesses. i did this last year for last season.

Does the BTN coverage only apply to home Big Ten games?

I guess I was assuming that the MTSU game would be on the BTN (IU's Thursday night game to open last season was, but it was a home game).

nope

no games on espnu this year...could have a game on CBS.

no games on espnu this year...could have a game on CBS.

CBS????? What game? Not unless they somehow get into the cotton bowl. CBS????? Ridiculous statment. What B10 team has had a regular season game on CBS the last 5 years?

Since the MTSU game is on the road it will not be on BTN. MTSU is not in conference USA so I doubt CBS College Sports would pick it up. I would hope ESPNU picks it up - that would be the most likely option.

wait I was wrong

I think one will be on the Discovery channel.

Does the BTN coverage only apply to home Big Ten games?

I guess I was assuming that the MTSU game would be on the BTN (IU's Thursday night game to open last season was, but it was a home game).

Yes. BTN only broadcast Big Ten team home games, no road games. since MTSU is on the road. it cannot be on the BTN.

MTSU = Road Trip. It should be a good game and tell us a lot about this team.

Thursday September 2

Here are the confirmed games for opening Thursday according to http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm (which is a very good site and a reliable source):

ESPN: Southern Miss @ South Carolina
ESPN: USC @ Hawaii
CBS/Colege Sports Network: Pitt @ Utah

I am 99% certain that the Big Ten Network will carry Marshall @ Ohio State

So that leaves an opening on ESPN2 and the following games involving "big 6" teams:

Florida A&M @ Miami
Norfolk State @ Rutgers
Northern Illinois @ Iowa State
Presbyterian (who???) @ Wake Forest
Minnesota @ Middle Tennessee

3 of these are against FCS (1-AA) teams in games that shouldn't be competetive. So that leaves either us vs MTSU or Iowa State vs Northern Illinois for The Deuce. I'm guessing that we are the less attractive of those two games and will, therefore, end up on ESPNU or ESPN360. Yuck.

Here are the confirmed games for opening Thursday according to http://www.lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm (which is a very good site and a reliable source):

ESPN: Southern Miss @ South Carolina
ESPN: USC @ Hawaii
CBS/Colege Sports Network: Pitt @ Utah

I am 99% certain that the Big Ten Network will carry Marshall @ Ohio State

So that leaves an opening on ESPN2 and the following games involving "big 6" teams:

Florida A&M @ Miami
Norfolk State @ Rutgers
Northern Illinois @ Iowa State
Presbyterian (who???) @ Wake Forest
Minnesota @ Middle Tennessee

3 of these are against FCS (1-AA) teams in games that shouldn't be competetive. So that leaves either us vs MTSU or Iowa State vs Northern Illinois for The Deuce. I'm guessing that we are the less attractive of those two games and will, therefore, end up on ESPNU or ESPN360. Yuck.

Minnesota = Iowa State. But MTSU > Northern Illinois. I smell an ESPN2 game for the Gophers.

Minnesota = Iowa State. But MTSU > Northern Illinois. I smell an ESPN2 game for the Gophers.

In terms of football product in 2010:
Minnesota = ISU (they won in December (barely), but they lose more talent than we do)
MTSU > NIU

In terms of television market:
Minnesota > ISU
NIU ???? MTSU - obviously Chicago is bigger than Nashville, but I don't know which team has a larger following in their market.

I really see this game as a toss of the coin for ESPN2.

But, we have been getting more and more national coverage, so some executives must like the way we draw viewers.

You overlooked one very important word in that article. Consider the following:

Beyond the season-opener with Marshall on Thursday, Sept. 2, no other Ohio State football home games will be played at night this season. That means no night game when Miami (Fla.) comes to town the next weekend.

"I already made that decision, and we communicated with TV that we're not playing any other night games," Smith said.

Smith said night games double the cost of putting on a game for Ohio State, while the Buckeyes pull in no extra revenue. He said he expects he'll approve another night game for 2011, but he was wary of doing anything to harm what could be a national title run in 2010.

"I hope this team does have a special opportunity," Smith said, "and I would prefer not to put them at night where they're sitting around all day. So now I'm thinking like a football guy."

OK, so they won't have any night games at home after LDW. However, no one said anything about night AWAY games...

forgot about the home game thing,

also i got 1 right so far. that MTSU game on ESPNU.

Top Bottom