2-Deeps 2010

goldfan24

Reaction score
I am curious to hear from people in the know what the status is with several players I think could contribute next season to really make a change talent-wise for the Gophers. Some of these players appeared to be on the verge of starting this season but were injurred at some point in the off-season. Some were red-shirted because they were freshmen. Some of these players saw very limited time on the field this season.

I have a feeling some of the players will change positions to get on the field, especially on defense. I would like to see Salamon and Cooper move to the safety position to compete with Dandridge and Theret. I would also like to see Royston move to CB with Carter, Lewis and Watkins. I think there could be some changes with the O-Line also.

I would love to hear some of the holers view-points on these players and some future changes or 2 deep predictions for next year.

OL Ed Olson
OL Ryan Wynn
OL Josh Campion
OL Brooks Michel
QB Moses Alipate
WR Xzavian Brandon
DE Ra 'Shede Hageman
RB Shady Salamon
WR Nick Rengel
DT Eric Jacques
DE Matt Garin
DE Kendall Gregory-McGhee
LB Sam Maresh
LB Spencer Reeves
LB Brent Singleton
LB Keanon Cooper
LB GaryTinsley
SS Tim Dandridge
CB Kenny Watkins
CB Kerry Lewis

Lots and lots of competition entering spring and fall practice. Here are the players I see at each position competing for a starting job or a spot on the 2-deep

QB: Weber, Gray, Alipate
RB: Whaley, Bennett, Eskridge, Salamon, Edwards, Kirkwood, Huff
WR: Stoudermire, Green, Allen, McKnight, Keise, Brandon, Carpenter, Hawkins, Hill
TE: Lair, McGarry, Rengel(maybe), KGM(if moved from DE)
OL: Wills, Carufel, Davis, Burris, Bunders, Wynn, Orton, Alford, Olson, Michel, Campion, Gjere, Mottla
DE: Jacobs, Wilhite, Hageman, Garin, KGM (if he stays at DE)
DT: Edwards, Kirksey, Jacques, Searcy (if he enrolls), Glickstein, Willis, Tauaefa
LB: Cooper, Tinsley, Reeves, Maresh, Rallis (if he moves to LB) Singleton, Grant, Hill, Tatum, Mitchell, Edwards (if he moves from RB)
CB: Carter, C Lewis, K Lewis(could be safety), J Johnson, A Lewis, Veazie
S: Royston, Collado, Theret, Dandridge, Watkins, Manuel

I suspect the majority of true freshman I listed above will redshirt but they'll at least be in competition for playing time. The true freshman I did not list I suspect will be redshirted.

QB-Weber/Gray- QB battle in the spring
HB-Whaley, Bennett, Eskridge - Huff plays if he is physically ready, Whaley could easily emerge
FB-Hoese, Rengel - Rengel is a specimen, could be a solution for TE depending on size
WR1-Green, Keise, Carpenter - Keise might be a contributor early, Carpenter = Pittman II?
WR2-Mcknight, Hawkins, Brandon -Hawkins will play, Mcknight could come on strong
WR3-Stoudemire, Allen, Hill - I'd like to see these 3 athletes used more on reverses and screens
TE-Lair, McGarry, Hughes -Rengel could be here, Lair needs to emerge, Hageman on goalline possibly
LT-Alford/Michel-The RSFr is a big, strong kid, I wouldn't be suprised to see him win the spot
LG-Bunders/Olson- See above, though Olson needs more muscle than Michel
C-Wynn/Davis/Burris -One needs to emerge, someone better bulldoze some bodies in spring camp
RG-Carufel/Orton/Gjere- The Fr will probably RS, but he needs to be mentioned, Orton has a shot
RT-Wills/Alford- Hope the big guy can come in at a sleek 330 with more strength

DE-Jacobs/Wilhite- Wilhite has a nice role in a 3rd down guy, Jacobs has shown flashes
DT-Edwards/Willis-The big freshman spells Edwards from time to time, look for a pass rusher on 3rd and longs(Jacobs, Hageman, Searcy)
DT-Kirksey/Searcy/Jacques- Kirksey can really prove himself as a starter, should be great
DE-Hageman/KGM/Garin-The kids get a shot, all have great speed, Garin might be a Wilhite type(pass rusher)
OLB-Cooper/Singleton-The quick yet undersized LB's can fly, Cooper is an impact player
MLB-Tinsley/Maresh-Tinsley showed up big time @ Iowa, these two can plug the middle
OLB-Rallis/Reeves/Grant-Rallis might slide down to LB, he would have all the tools for a great OLB
CB-Carter/K. Lewis- Youth is served, Lewis can hit, run support will be better from CB next year
CB-C. Lewis/Bouie- JUCO kid hopefully can do an 08 Simmons job, Bouie will be here for spring ball
FS-Royston/Dandridge-Hope for an emergence of Dandridge or a big senior year for Kim.
SS-Theret/Collado- Collado replaces Rallis, could play nickel/slot, Theret will be better with more speed around him
K-Ellestad - Did a great job this year, work on consistent kickoffs
P-Oreske- Will be a great one, booming kicks, got a taste of experience

Wildcards- Henderson would step in right away @ LT, Beau Allen would allow Willis to RS, Edwards will give the RB position size if he's ready, Gjere probably isn't ready as a Fr, but I'm willing to bet he gets a shot depending on his size/strength next falls

I think we may see Collado at CB early on. And while I'm really interested to see where Rengel and Edwards end up I think a two deep for either might be a little ambitous as freshmen. I wouldn't be surprised to see Edwards RS if he makes the switch to LB. He's prime for that, huge upside with a lot to learn and a plethora of talent ahead of him that needs to get as many reps as possible. Which of course is an argument to be on the O side also.

With the exception of CB I think all the two deeps are already on the roster with the lone exception being Searcy and of course SH if he does come our way. If one of the RB's looks capable they will play but likely will not move ahead of either bennet or whaley for the first half of the season. All of course IMHO.

Good insights. My two cents . . . KGM is not likely to move to TE since he has looked good at DE and has certainly put on some size since getting on campus. If no one else steps up, Sahr Ngekia is a guy that could eventually find his way onto the field at TE, assuming Rengel becomes a full-time FB. Ngekia has a nice size/athleticism combo. At WR, Victor Kiese has looked really good and probably has the best hands on the team. He will get some PT next year. Brooks Michel is the biggest and strongest of the freshman o-linemen and he will be the most ready to play next year and maybe even start. At DE, Garin is the best pass-rusher, but is still too small to be an every-down DE. Hageman has been a beast and is the leading candidate to start at McKinley's DE spot.

Speaking of Rengel, are their any reports on his recovery? Is it full? Did he retain his speed. He's a bit freakish if he did. I've been waiting to see how he does. It's been a long wait.

Speaking of Rengel, are their any reports on his recovery? Is it full? Did he retain his speed. He's a bit freakish if he did. I've been waiting to see how he does. It's been a long wait.

Whomever has knowledge could you also share the backstory on Rengel? I don't remmeber much about him. Thanks

All I know is he has good size, and was one of the fastest kids in the state as a junior track athlete. Then he blew out his knee. I would really like to know more as well.

barring injury

barring injury and a serious lack of work ethic .... look for the kids who have seen time this year to step up and start next year....... kids who have good work ethic usually don't regress.... so it will be hard for some of the names that are being thrown out to surpass those who have made it own the field this year... its not like the kids who are on the field now for the most part don't have talent and they will continue to get better bigger faster stronger with another year in the system...

barring injury and a serious lack of work ethic .... look for the kids who have seen time this year to step up and start next year....... kids who have good work ethic usually don't regress.... so it will be hard for some of the names that are being thrown out to surpass those who have made it own the field this year... its not like the kids who are on the field now for the most part don't have talent and they will continue to get better bigger faster stronger with another year in the system...

I totally agree Pops. In Minnesota we're so use to being talent thin that we can barely guess at a one deep!! We're a bit programmed to think a talented kid will find his way onto the field as a freshman. I'm glad to see that those days are behind us, but still old habits die hard.

Gray to WR

Brewster commented (let slip?) that Gray would get more time at WR during bowl practice and they want to get him on the field more. This was on Sunday's WCCO show. I think he will be a starting WR in 2010, or at least on the 2 deep.

I'm not so sure the Gray thing is a postion switch, or just a way to make use of the best talent on the team better while gray waits for his chance. I wouldn't pencil him in any place else yet but QB. But look around the big ten, there's alot of QB's who ended up as recievers.

Wasn't Robinson used as a WR before he became the starting QB at PSU? That was my reaction from hearing that. They are going to get him on the field while the current starter uses up his eligibility.

Last year I was on the defend Theret is going to start track for 9 months. Now I think it will be Weber. Brewster likes good football minds. Both of those kids have 'em. So I still am betting on the Weber horse to start next year. Green makes me think of another kid with a good football mind. I like they way he runs routes. He seems to find good spots in a zone, and runs a go route that gives his QB a spot to throw to. I look forward to his next year of development.

We have good talent on the O side. Much is young and inexperienced. Hopefully they can figure it out by next fall.

I want to see 10 more pounds on Theret and 20 more on Royston.

In saying that....I am extremly excited in the fact at the number of kids that we redshirted this year. Truely a good sign. I don't remember this many guys being redshirted during the Mason years. And no I'm not ripping on Mason.

I want to see 10 more pounds on Theret and 20 more on Royston.

In saying that....I am extremly excited in the fact at the number of kids that we redshirted this year. Truely a good sign. I don't remember this many guys being redshirted during the Mason years. And no I'm not ripping on Mason.

Theret and Royston might add 5-10, but they both have speed issues to begin with so too much weight might be a bad idea.
The redshirts are very exciting, and Brewster has to his credit been patient with some of the most talented guys, allowing them to mature a year before hitting the field.

Cooper, Jacobs, Wilhite, Hageman, Garin, KGM, Keise, Kerry Lewis, Singleton, Maresh all could have contributed their true freshmen years, but they also have a better shot at becoming stars now that they have redshirted.

Don't sleep on Hageman/KGM/Garin, Keise, K. Lewis, or Singleton contributing alot or even starting at some point next year.

Man we are set with a speedy front 7 for the next 2-3 years.

How many Minnesotan's will be starting then next year?

2-3?

The better question is, who gives a sh*t?

Last time I checked, it is the "University of Minnesota," not "University of Minnesotans."

The better question is, who gives a sh*t?

Last time I checked, it is the "University of Minnesota," not "University of Minnesotans."

We all get that it is not that important where the player come from but the bigger question is why are you rude to everyone and why are you wasting my tax dollars by posting on a message board all day. You are a university employee if I recall, so get back to work.

No, the bigger question is why are you rude to everyone and why are you wasting my tax dollars by posting on a message board all day. You are a university employee if I recall, so get back to work.

Don't worry about it, guy. The only people I'm rude to are fans of opposing schools who invade our Gopher discussion, like you and lakesbison.

And you can talk about my posting habits when you can honestly say you've never posted here while working. Oh, that's right - your tax dollars are more important than your company's money.

dpodoll. HELLO. you complete moron, MAYBE some of us in OUTSTATE MINNESOTA are just curious if there is ANYONE from MINNESOTA that we may know or may have followed in high school for the past 3-4 years. Holy ___ cripes!!!

get a clue man.

dpodoll. HELLO. you complete moron, MAYBE some of us in OUTSTATE MINNESOTA are just curious if there is ANYONE from MINNESOTA that we may know or may have followed in high school for the past 3-4 years. Holy ___ cripes!!!

get a clue man.

HELLO. you complete moron, this is a GOPHERS board. I don't know if anyone else here even likes your contributions, but as far as I'm concerned, you're not WELCOME.

And you must think we're complete idiots if you try to claim that wasn't a loaded question.

Weber, royston, jacobs, ellestad, Hoese, plus a couple of OL (take a pick). And then a number of freshmen who can't be penciled in because they're freshmen like hageman, rengel, maresh, Garin, edwards, ...

There will probably be as many as 16 Minnesotans that find their way onto the two deeps or better next year. And upwards of 20 that find playing time on the offense or defense, and then a couple of more on ST's.

thanks schnoodler. someone with class.. much appreciated.

Royston, Hageman, Maresh, Campion might surprise and play better than people expect.

Crazy as it sounds

I would like to see Hoese or Edwards at Tailback, and either Rengel or Marish at Fullback. Run out of the I. Our tailbacks are too small, have no power, and cannot punish anyone. They go down from arm tackles. I further would like a flanker be it Stoudemier or Eskridege. Able to block, run, and catch. Even throw. Now the offensive Line. I want three pistons. I do not want anyone over 6' 4" I want leverage, great expolsion, ablity to beat any DT combination we face. They must drive the line of scrimmage forward. It takes those who can squat at least 600, Hang/Clean 350, I would also like a measure of 10 yard times on all players. Also pro agility drill. These three must meet the critera. Burris could, now who else? Two candidates must be found.
The tightend must be able to block. He must be able to seal the end, block linebackers, block cornerbacks, safeties. He must be able to block. Size here would be a factor as we want this player to control the middle of the field in our passing game. He must be able to get deep 15-18 yards in under 2.5 seconds. Again, 10 yard times, squat, and hang clean a prerequiste. I think my candidate is Hageman. Now the tackles, you must be able to move your feet, I would look at some who fell short of the piston standards. You must be able to drive, retreat, punch, and ride a player around the pocket. Again foot speed. Gjere, Olson, Wynn, and Henderson. No fat boys need apply. Thats' you Wills, and you Alford. If we don't have it, Coach Hill must build it. This cadre needs to be in place for the voluntary drills in January. The recievers, again must block, catch, and run after the catch. These players need to be quick, again 10 yard time. The passes will be thrown 15 yards down field. Outs, diggs, slants. If you are a reciever in this offense and fail to block or catch you will sit. I don't care how highly rated you are. All recievers will work on hand eye co-ordination in the off season. I would like them juggling, playing ping pong. And catching tennis balls out of juggs gun.

That leaves the QB postion. All you will need to do is show you can call the correct audible. We will script the plays. Review the next series on the sidelines. You can wear a wrist band. You must be excellent ball handler including quick pitches, option pitches, and play action. You must be able to roll out. You must throw accurately, and we will rate that on how many throws are on time and hit the reciever either at the spot or in stride. Any catch that takes the reciever off stride, out off bounds or misses completely is a miss. We will throw the ball only 18-20 times a game so we expect our QB to be able to hit the mark at least 12 times, if we complete 15 through the dedication of our recievers all the better. If you are going to be the QB you will be measured by these standards. I don't think Weber has shown the ability to meet the standard, and Gray, Moses, anyone else?

Top Bottom