2:30 PM Kickoff at Iowa

Anyone have a good idea when the MSU game will start? I really, really need this to be a day game!

Weather looks good for IC that day so shouldn't be a factor.

Hopefully the Hawks don't discover a passing game between now and then.

Hate to say it but their punting game is a thing of beauty. Have a strong case of punter envy.

Don't know where the point spread will be, but at the midway point...

Iowa's punting game is rated #1 in the B1G, but Gophers are actually 4th. But Iowa has punted 47 times, the Gophers only 27 times. Iowa uses the punt as a field position dagger better than anyone ...
In kickoffs, Iowa ranks 1st, Gophers are 2nd. Tie. Dragan effect.
Both teams have good FG kickers.
In kickoff and punt returns, however, Iowa ranks 4th in the B1G with, among other things, a 70 yard punt return for a TD (to win a game). Minnesota, of course--because more games are lost than won--ranks a solid 14th in the B1G in kickoff and punt returns.

On defense, Iowa isn't quite as dominant as in the last few years, but it is still quite effective. It allows 325.6 yards per game versus the Gophers' 373.2 per game. Sacks and interceptions are actually about equal for Minnesota and Iowa's defenses. Here are the differences: Iowa is 7th in the B1G for completion percentage allowed; Gophers are 14th. Iowa is 2nd in B1G for yards allowed per completion (4.9 yards); Gophers are 14th (7.9 yards). But the capper is scoring: Iowa defense allows 14.9 points per game; Minnesota allows 26.7. Overall, Iowa's defense is rated 4th in the B1G (behind PSU, Mich and OSU) and Gophers defense is rated ... 14th.

On offense, the Iowa--Minny game is the "Toilet Bowl." Iowa has the 14th ranked offense in the B1G; Minnesota is ranked 13th. The Gophers score 21.7 points per game; Iowa scores 20.9. Both have anemic passing games: Iowa is 14th with 116.6 yards per game, and the Gophers are 13th with 132.8 yards. Our rushing game, however, has been considerably better than Iowa's (180.5 yards/game to 130.9 yards/game). Minnesota has allowed only 8 sacks; Iowa (with one more game played) has allowed 13. Minnesota has thrown 7 interceptions in 5 games; Iowa has thrown 5 interceptions in 6 games. One key stat: Iowa has fumbled 6 times on rushing attempts (includes QB sacks); Minnesota has only fumbled 2 times.

So, the game should be a very interesting chess match. Certainly a chance for the Gophers to win, probably with our running game featured, as the game should be low scoring. Iowa will try to score early and then squeeze the life out of us, using superior defense and special teams. The team that can get an explosive play or two might well win on that basis. Just like last year ... and the year before. Gophers are 0-2 on the road this year ...

Go Gophers!

Last edited:

Game now confirm for NBC.
That's three network TV games in mid-afternoon or prime time, plus a prime mid-afternoon slot vs UNC on ESPN

Gophers getting plenty of exposure

I’ve seen a 31.5 but on a really non official thing

Most boring game of the year for sure

This is a game 100% that we should win. I really hope PJ plays to win vs. playing not to lose.

I take it back… this is 100% a winnable game.
miMZRv3.jpg

Nah I think he's fine now.

A game "100% we should win" is in the next tier up in sentiment from a "100% winnable game".

Iowa has:

beat Utah State at home by 10
went to Ames and won by 7
crushed Western Mich at home by 31
got shut out and smoked at Penn St 0-31
beat Mich State at home by 10
beat Purdue at home by 6
went to Madison and won by 9

The biggest thing against us is that this game is in Iowa City. If it was here, I would feel much better.

Should be close regardless. Just hope we don't do things like fumble, throw pick sixes, etc. Keep the killer mistakes to a minimum and we have a solid chance.

Nah I think he's fine now.

A game "100% we should win" is in the next tier up in sentiment from a "100% winnable game".
Yeah, I got a little ahead of myself when I said we should win... it is 100% a winnable game and 100% a game we could win. If we don't turn the ball over I think we have a decent shot. I have never seen a team in any level of football that can score points the way they can on Iowa on defense and special teams and it seems like they have been doing that for a few years now. They've always had good defenses but it's almost to the point where you can expect some points from the D/ST every game.

Top Bottom