1st year coach Dennis Gates has MIZZOU flying

Wet_Blanket_Guy

Reaction score
They are 12-1 and just crushed Kentucky (89-75).

A little more about the roster turnover Here.

- only 3 returning players from last years team

We’ll on their way to an NCAA bid this year.

* also just recently bet Illinois by 22 and Wichita State (still a solid program)

You should be stripped, greased, and forced to run backwards through a cornfield 🌽.
Found another coaching example for you MNJay:

Matt McMahon @ LSU - hired in march 2022 from Murray State where he was coach of the year. LSU is 11-1 and in a battle with highly ranked Arkansas right now.

https://lsu.rivals.com/news/new-lsu...-matt-mcmahon-is-nothing-but-full-speed-ahead

All 13 LSU players hit the portal (as a reminder they fired Will Wade the weekend prior to the NCAA tourney even though they made it as he was on audio tapes talking about paying players) at end of March 2022 and in 47 days he filled out a roster with 6 transfers, 5 freshmen, and 3 players he convinced to return.

Their KENPOM is 78 (not godlike, but better than 197 don’t you think?)

Matt McMahon @ LSU - hired in march 2022 from Murray State where he was coach of the year. LSU is 11-1 and in a battle with highly ranked Arkansas right now.

https://lsu.rivals.com/news/new-lsu...-matt-mcmahon-is-nothing-but-full-speed-ahead

All 13 LSU players hit the portal (as a reminder they fired Will Wade the weekend prior to the NCAA tourney even though they made it as he was on audio tapes talking about paying players) at end of March 2022 and in 47 days he filled out a roster with 6 transfers, 5 freshmen, and 3 players he convinced to return.

Update: LSU won

13-0 after dismantling Colorado State
He’s doing good things there and the arena is rocking. If this is a shot (can’t tell) - my comeback would be along the lines of… if I could compare Pitino and CBJ to American tragedies, Pitino would be the Exxon Valdez oil spill, whereas CBJ would be The Battle of Midway (ww2…but if we lost). Pitino was bad, but CBJ has pretty much made the gophers a complete joke (the media comments when you see a B10 power ranking article are just brutal).

Here, I have something for you...maybe this will help... 🍼

He’s doing good things there and the arena is rocking. If this is a shot (can’t tell) - my comeback would be along the lines of… if I could compare Pitino and CBJ to American tragedies, Pitino would be the Exxon Valdez oil spill, whereas CBJ would be The Battle of Midway (ww2…but if we lost). Pitino was bad, but CBJ has pretty much made the gophers a complete joke (the media comments when you see a B10 power ranking article are just brutal).

The Pit is a great place to watch a college basketball game when the Lobos are playing good basketball. I hate that I'm (barely) old enough to remember when The Pit hosted the Final Four. I just can't bring myself to go to a Final Four in a football stadium, don't care where it is.

If this is a shot (can’t tell)
Pitinio's success at New Mexico makes me wonder if the U's lack of success in basketball is more due to the administration and athletic department and less about the coaching staff. If other schools can have early success with new coaches, why not the U? as for me, i consider this year's team an indictment of an administration, athletic department and a coaching staff.

The Pit is a great place to watch a college basketball game when the Lobos are playing good basketball. I hate that I'm (barely) old enough to remember when The Pit hosted the Final Four. I just can't bring myself to go to a Final Four in a football stadium, don't care where it is.
The Pit hosted a Final Four, those must’ve been the days. Since I’ve been alive they have pretty much been in super stadiums. I can’t even imagine the atmosphere in a smaller arena like the pit.

The Pit hosted a Final Four, those must’ve been the days. Since I’ve been alive they have pretty much been in super stadiums. I can’t even imagine the atmosphere in a smaller arena like the pit.
And it may have been one of the best Final Fours ever, at that. Phi Slamma Jamma vs Louisville in a high-flying semi with a crazy amount of talent, followed by the legendary Houston-NC State final with the last second Lorenzo Charles dunk of Dereck Whittenburg’s airball, and JImmy V’s wild search for someone to hug (I still cannot believe a college team with Olajuwon and Drexler—two of the top 50 players of all time—couldn’t win a championship).

Pitinio's success at New Mexico makes me wonder if the U's lack of success in basketball is more due to the administration and athletic department and less about the coaching staff. If other schools can have early success with new coaches, why not the U? as for me, i consider this year's team an indictment of an administration, athletic department and a coaching staff.
I just think you need to be an elite coach to succeed in the B1G. Pitino was just unable to do any one thing at an elite level to have sustained success. As others have stated before, he couldn't recruit well enough to make up for his lack of coaching, and he couldn't coach well enough to make up for his lack of recruiting. At least we got Jordan Murphy, Amir Coffey, and Dan Oturu. Easily my 3 favorite Gophers this century.

"The administration" has been a boogeyman under the bed for as long as I can remember. Sid Hartman would write about it back in the 80s and maybe earlier, blaming "the administration" for our sucky sports. It's a sturdy crutch.

I'm not going to say it's not the problem, but I want specifics. What exactly is the administration doing or not doing to somehow make seemingly capable men like Monson, Smith and Pitino--people who have been successful elsewhere--unable to sustain success here? Is blaming "the administration" an attempt to get to the bottom of our seeming systemic problems, or is it just a crutch to mollify fans into hopelessness?

It's just really difficult to win at the highest level in college basketball. Look at Alford. Had a very mediocre run at Iowa, was good at New Mexico, had some early success at UCLA but was fired, and now he's at Nevada. I could see Pitino having a similar career, not necessarily landing a UCLA job, but another decent P6 job if he continues to have success at New Mexico.

This is why the Gophers needed to hire a coach with a system that plays defense and fundamental basketball to raise the floor of the program first, then the more highly rated recruits will come as result of more winning. This is what Purdue and Wisconsin have done forever, and it's what Rutgers has been doing under Pikiell. Hiring coaches to learn on the job at this level is a recipe for disaster.

We're struggling to beat Chicago State and Western Michigan in year two and this guy is crushing Kentucky and Illinois in year one. Perhaps hiring an assistant from a mediocre program(only while he's been there) was a bad choice! Xavier is now a top 25 team. Travis Steele is now 3-7 at Miami(Oh) and ranked 324 in the NET.

Dennis Gates is a great coach. I could pine for another here at Minnesota or I could accept what we have and hope for future success.

People pining for another remind me of middle aged men who are always pining for a trophy wife.

We're struggling to beat Chicago State and Western Michigan in year two and this guy is crushing Kentucky and Illinois in year one. Perhaps hiring an assistant from a mediocre program(only while he's been there) was a bad choice! Xavier is now a top 25 team. Travis Steele is now 3-7 at Miami(Oh) and ranked 324 in the NET.
But Travis Steele is rebuilding, no wins are expected, you have to remember that…

Dennis Gates is a great coach. I could pine for another here at Minnesota or I could accept what we have and hope for future success.

People pining for another remind me of middle aged men who are always pining for a trophy wife.
What’s the saying, first marriage is for money, second is for love.

Lot of new coaches doing well. One thing to remember is half the SEC switched coaches last year so inevitably a couple of them will stumble. Believe Ben was 11-1 before his collapse began and the lack of depth wore out. Truly a new year to year era of college basketball love it or hate it but being good in year one doesn't promise you anything in year two or three and being bad in year two isn't necessary a death sentence for year three either. The one thing you can't do if you want a job long term you can't be bad three years in a row

We'll learn to love our fat and ugly wife but can we please still pine?

I'm JK :)

What’s the saying, first marriage is for money, second is for love.
I have no idea. I have been married to one wife for decades and have enjoyed contentment even when storms have risen. We complement each other quite well even if we don't own the biggest and best of anything.
Contentment is an amazing grace.

Hope is not a plan. Wise man once said that, very true.
Do you imagine the present coaching staff has no plan? Or are you pissed that you aren't privy to the plan and don't see the outcome you demand immediately?

Top Bottom