1st Sporting event you attended

When the Vikings travelling basketball team (Matt Blair, Leo Lewis, Ike Holt, Mike Mularkey) played the local Lions club in my hometown for some sort of charity event.
It's either that or a Twins game around the same time. Used to get to go to one per year for school patrol if you worked the crosswalks before/after school.

When the Vikings travelling basketball team (Matt Blair, Leo Lewis, Ike Holt, Mike Mularkey) played the local Lions club in my hometown for some sort of charity event.
It's either that or a Twins game around the same time. Used to get to go to one per year for school patrol if you worked the crosswalks before/after school.
I remember those events. Pretty fun as a kid.

I saw them in Marshall

I haven't even remotely thought about that orange sash belt and the pride I felt getting selected as one of many School Patrols.

I spend too much time thinking about things I would do differently rather than about the small successes along the way. Thank you.

A Twins game on autograph day with my grandfather sometime in the mid to late seventies.
We had pretty good seats along the first baseline. Of course I wanted to get Rod Carew's autograph but the line for him was so long I had to settle for Disco Dan Ford.

I remember those events. Pretty fun as a kid.
Leo Lewis called me "Mr. Viking" after he signed his autograph, as I was wearing a Vikings cap and a Vikings jacket that my grandfather got me for "free" as part of a promotion when he bought a bunch of Owens-Corning insulation.

The best part about that evening was that the Vikings players all parked directly in front of the school, which was pretty clearly marked off as no parking anytime. The one cop in town went down the line while the game was going on and wrote each and every one of them a ticket.

July 12, 1984
Twins beat the Tigers 4-2. My dad had lost his job the previous year and was working a 7pm-4am shift at the downtown Mpls post office to make ends meet. Money was tight but he found a way to buy General Admission tickets for the 5 of us (my younger brother wasn't born yet).

I remember thinking the Metrodome was the most incredible place I had ever seen. After the game we walked over to the Mpls post office and my dad showed us where he worked. He kissed us all goodbye and my mom drove us home while he went to work.

Tigers vs Twins, July 12 1984

Mine had to be a Twins game in 1981 at Met Stadium, I remember absolutely nothing except it was a cool night, we were playing the A's, and that's about that. I got a program from the night and Bombo Rivera was the player I was enamored with, because, well, has there ever been a cooler name in baseball than his?
Closed circuit to cooldhand, but Bombo can be used for one of the squares in today's grid. I did well today, though admit I needed a little research assistance to think of a Phillie with 30+ SBs.

Couldn't tell you. My earliest memory however....is the 2003 Gophers win over Wisconsin. Specifically watching fans reaching over a gate in back of one of the endzones to touch the Axe as it was being paraded around.....and then dumping onto the field as it gave way.

Closed circuit to cooldhand, but Bombo can be used for one of the squares in today's grid. I did well today, though admit I needed a little research assistance to think of a Phillie with 30+ SBs.

I wish I had read this message prior to tackling the immaculate grid (which, btw, I became aware of because of you--I don't know whether to thank you or curse you, it often depends on the day ;)).

Re: the Phillies and 30+ SB's, JRollins popped to mind easily. I was quite surprised to see who the Twins single season record holder in SB's was (not considering the Senators days).

I wish I had read this message prior to tackling the immaculate grid (which, btw, I became aware of because of you--I don't know whether to thank you or curse you, it often depends on the day ;)).

Re: the Phillies and 30+ SB's, JRollins popped to mind easily. I was quite surprised to see who the Twins single season record holder in SB's was (not considering the Senators days).
So I guess "you're welcome" and "I'm sorry" are both appropriate for the intro to the Grid.

For Bombo, I looked him up after you mentioned him and noticed the brief call up in KC after he was done with the Twins. Right away my thought was "that will come in handy someday for the Grid". As luck would have it, didn't have to wait long. Could have also used Killebrew.

For Twins SBs, Knobby I knew right away so I plugged him in. After some thought, knew that Tovar and Carew would fit.

For the Phillies, I should have known Rollins but my mind usually goes right to the 70s & 80s, plus the SB has been devalued this century (until 2023) I wasn't positive he got to 30. I had to look up "Garry Maddox", I wasn't spelling either of his names properly. Bake McBride would have been easier.

So I guess "you're welcome" and "I'm sorry" are both appropriate for the intro to the Grid.

For Bombo, I looked him up after you mentioned him and noticed the brief call up in KC after he was done with the Twins. Right away my thought was "that will come in handy someday for the Grid". As luck would have it, didn't have to wait long. Could have also used Killebrew.

For Twins SBs, Knobby I knew right away so I plugged him in. After some thought, knew that Tovar and Carew would fit.

For the Phillies, I should have known Rollins but my mind usually goes right to the 70s & 80s, plus the SB has been devalued this century (until 2023) I wasn't positive he got to 30. I had to look up "Garry Maddox", I wasn't spelling either of his names properly. Bake McBride would have been easier.
Ahh Bake McBride…another wonderful name from the ‘70s/‘80s—as with you Ope, that’s where I start in my thought process, mainly due to my memories made by my baseball card collection. When the Rays or Diamondbacks pop up on the grid, I know I’m toast.

I also torture myself with the basketball and football grids—in general, I find basketball the easiest of all and football most vexing-all those f@&in’ linemen and defensive players scramble my brain.

Attachments

• 7A9DB927-F692-490E-A91D-10E88FD442BE.jpeg
    7A9DB927-F692-490E-A91D-10E88FD442BE.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 0

Mine was early 1980s. Twins in the new dome. Can't remember the exact year (I'm guessing in the first 1-3 years). I think the roof had problems earlier that year.
I do remember the Twins losing to "Oil Can" Boyd and the Red Sox. Maybe 5-3? Could not tell you a Twin on the team. Only remember "Oil Can", Red Sox, and losing.

Ahh Bake McBride…another wonderful name from the ‘70s/‘80s—as with you Ope, that’s where I start in my thought process, mainly due to my memories made by my baseball card collection. When the Rays or Diamondbacks pop up on the grid, I know I’m toast.

I also torture myself with the basketball and football grids—in general, I find basketball the easiest of all and football most vexing-all those f@&in’ linemen and defensive players scramble my brain.
I actually had that baseball card and always wondered how he got that magnificent fro in his helmet. Looking at it today, he had a Princess Leia thing going.

What was your 1st Sporting event pro or college you arrended in person. Mine was 1989 Christmas night Vikings beating the Cincinnati Bengals to win the NFC Central division and knocking the Packers out of the playoffs.
I was also at this game. Great memory!

Definitely random Twins games as a kid that I have no memory of. Those were the only pro sporting events my family could afford :).

First Gophers football game: September 11th, 2010 vs South Dakota
First Vikings game: October 25th, 2012 vs Tamp Bay
First Timberwolves game: April 23rd, 2022 vs Memphis

Still haven't been to a Wild game.

Definitely random Twins games as a kid that I have no memory of. Those were the only pro sporting events my family could afford :).

First Gophers football game: September 11th, 2010 vs South Dakota
First Vikings game: October 25th, 2012 vs Tamp Bay
First Timberwolves game: April 23rd, 2022 vs Memphis

Still haven't been to a Wild game.
Tampa Bay Tampa Bay. It never gets old

Twins game at the Met. Blyleven pitching against the Red Sox. The field was the greenest thing I'd ever seen.

Memorial Stadium to watch the Gophers with Rick Upchurch

Top Bottom