1st Sporting event you attended

gophersfan

Reaction score
What was your 1st Sporting event pro or college you arrended in person. Mine was 1989 Christmas night Vikings beating the Cincinnati Bengals to win the NFC Central division and knocking the Packers out of the playoffs.

Good topic... Wish I knew for sure, but I'm pretty sure it was a Gopher football game when I was five.

An AWA event at a local high school featuring Baron Von Raschke versus The Sheik with my Dad when I was five (5).

Jake "The Milkman" Milligan and Kenny "The Sodbuster" J surprisingly lost their matches that night. Jerry Blackwell fell on the concrete three (3) feet from where I was sitting and my life flashed before my eyes.

I am reasonably sure it was a Twins game against Cleveland in 1964.

I believe that was the same year our family went to the State Fair. I have a vague memory of sitting through some kind of auto race - but it might have also been the Joie Chitwood Thrill show. I think we also saw Al Hirt in the grandstand show. (I am really dating myself with these references....)

An AWA event at a local high school featuring Baron Von Raschke versus The Sheik with my Dad when I was five (5).

Jake "The Milkman" Milligan and Kenny "The Sodbuster" J surprisingly lost their matches that night. Jerry Blackwell fell on the concrete three (3) feet from where I was sitting and my life flashed before my eyes.
FB_IMG_1690762805372.jpg

I believe it was this Twins game in 1985 against the Yankees. I remember Mattingly hitting a HR and the Twins getting beat pretty badly.

Twins game at the Dome. Neighborhood dads took some neighborhood kids. I don't recall the opponent or date. I remember being in awe of the enormity of the place. The Twins won 1-0 on a mid-inning solo HR. When we got back, one of the dads said it was kind of a boring game, not a lot of action. I was like, what are you talking about, that was awesome!

I am reasonably sure it was a Twins game against Cleveland in 1964.

I believe that was the same year our family went to the State Fair. I have a vague memory of sitting through some kind of auto race - but it might have also been the Joie Chitwood Thrill show. I think we also saw Al Hirt in the grandstand show. (I am really dating myself with these references....)
Baseball Reference might help you pinpoint the game if you are interested.

I was able to locate my game, I knew it was a doubleheader vs the A's at the Met and that Killebrew hit Home Run. Sat in the LF bleachers as a 3 year old, so memory was rather vague other than I remember the crowd going nuts when Harmon hit it.

August 6, 1972

From the box, it was a 9th inning solo HR off of another HoFer, Rollie Fingers to tie but the Twins eventually lost in extras. I don't think we stayed for much of the nightcap, probably listened to Herb on the way home.

My first sporting event was definitely Gopher basketball games, likely when I was 2-3 years old. But the first sporting event I remember was in the early 1980s, and there was an exhibition NBA game at the Old Met Center between the 76ers and the Rockets. Dr. J coming to MN was a very big deal. Well, my Grandpa took me to the game and my Mom got carried away with me attending my first ever NBA game and she dressed me in penny loafer shoes, corduroy pants and a fn sweater! I was too young to be embarrassed but I was fricking HOT as heck and I remember being the only one dressed up. I still chide my Mom for this.

Go Memories!!

Bleed? Let it go.;)

First game attended was the Dodgers playing the Boston Red Sox at The Big A in Anaheim. We were visiting my Aunt out there.

My first sporting event was definitely Gopher basketball games, likely when I was 2-3 years old. But the first sporting event I remember was in the early 1980s, and there was an exhibition NBA game at the Old Met Center between the 76ers and the Rockets. Dr. J coming to MN was a very big deal. Well, my Grandpa took me to the game and my Mom got carried away with me attending my first ever NBA game and she dressed me in penny loafer shoes, corduroy pants and a fn sweater! I was too young to be embarrassed but I was fricking HOT as heck and I remember being the only one dressed up. I still chide my Mom for this.

Go Memories!!
I was at several of those NBA Exhibitions at Met Center as well, my friends aunt was official scorer and got us the hook up. I don't think I was at your game though, I would remember seeing Julius Erving (not to mention a dorky kid wearing corduroys/sweater in October ;)).

At least 2 of the games were the Bucks. There was a matchup vs the Rockets so it was a Breuer vs Petersen reunion. There was another against the Nuggets with Dan Issel and Alex English.

Last edited:

First game I have memory of was when I was in Kindergarten in the early 90's. I was a huge Charles Barkley fan and the 76ers were in town. My dad got me out of school early and we went down to the game. I was the only person cheering for the 76ers sitting around me except for two older guys wearing sunglasses in the upper deck the whole game and giving me a thumbs up every time the 76ers scored.

A Twins game against the White Sox the first or second year of the dome. There was no AC yet. It was hot. We also went to the top of the IDS Tower on that trip.

A Twins game against the White Sox the first or second year of the dome. There was no AC yet. It was hot. We also went to the top of the IDS Tower on that trip.
Bremer was just talking about them not having AC initially. That's insane.
The lack of AC was really insane. On a warm day, no baggie yet in RF (nor plexiglass in left) the ball just soared over the fence at the HHH Dome, both for HRs and off the old fashioned astro-turf for ground rule doubles.

It was installed in June of 1983 (2nd baseball season).

I didn't go to any 1982 pre-season Viking games or the opener vs Tampa Bay but I remember hearing from friends and in the media that it was absolutely oppressively warm. Didn't see home Gopher games either that first year.

Mine was a Twins game in the Dome, I think in 1996. My friend was a huge Mariners/Griffey fan so his family took us to watch Griffey Jr, ARod, Edgar Martinez, and Jay Buhner beat up on the Twins.

Mine had to be a Twins game in 1981 at Met Stadium, I remember absolutely nothing except it was a cool night, we were playing the A's, and that's about that. I got a program from the night and Bombo Rivera was the player I was enamored with, because, well, has there ever been a cooler name in baseball than his?

Mine had to be a Twins game in 1981 at Met Stadium, I remember absolutely nothing except it was a cool night, we were playing the A's, and that's about that. I got a program from the night and Bombo Rivera was the player I was enamored with, because, well, has there ever been a cooler name in baseball than his?
Especially cool, with PA Announcer Bob Casey bellowing out "Now batting, Bom-BOW Rivera" with each at bat. Only rival would be Kirby Puckett, for name alone.

Top Bottom