1993 and 1999

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Record vs Iowa since 1993: 7-21

Last win in Iowa City: 1999

4BANGU9.png

Last edited:

Granted both were at home, but makes you wonder how the hell games like 1998 and 2014 happened.

Granted both were at home, but makes you wonder how the hell games like 1998 and 2014 happened.

1998 was one of the worst Iowa teams in the last 40+ years.

2014 was a poor team by Ferentz standards but still had a winning record. Minnesota just beat the crap out of them.

1998 was one of the worst Iowa teams in the last 40+ years.

2014 was a poor team by Ferentz standards but still had a winning record. Minnesota just beat the crap out of them.
They were very fortunate having Ferentz take over in 99. Fans wanted Bob Stoops to take over but Oklahoma got him.

7-21 against a rival tells the whole story of our program the last 30 years. Don't bother looking at the other rival and those records, its worse.

I think 98' was during a blizzard?? Max Williams ignited the 14' win.

7-21 against a rival tells the whole story of our program the last 30 years. Don't bother looking at the other rival and those records, its worse.

I think 98' was during a blizzard?? Max Williams ignited the 14' win.

Actually, as a recall, the touchdown that started the avalanche in 2014 was a long bomb from Leidner to Donovahn Jones. The play kind of took people (including the announcers) by surprise. The game was tied 7-7 before that (Iowa actually scored first but didn't score again until the end of the game). Jones was a speedy receiver. Too bad he was kicked off the team near the end of the season. Could have used him in the Citrus Bowl.

They were very fortunate having Ferentz take over in 99. Fans wanted Bob Stoops to take over but Oklahoma got him.

Very fortunate. It sounded like Stoops wanted the Iowa job but Iowa refused to offer it at his interview. They wanted to finish interviewing all of their candidates. The next day he took the Oklahoma job.

Very fortunate. It sounded like Stoops wanted the Iowa job but Iowa refused to offer it at his interview. They wanted to finish interviewing all of their candidates. The next day he took the Oklahoma job.
Didn't know that. Ferentz looked like a bad consolation prize at the time.

Hard to say that. What would Stoops have done at Iowa? The guy is a college football Hall of Fame coach who made ten BCS/NY 6 bowl games and won a national title and played for a few more.

I think 98' was during a blizzard??

I think that was 1994, blizzard outside while the teams played inside the Metrodome.

There was a snow game in 1991 at Kinnick with a blizzard, as well. Iowa guy made a snow angel after scoring a TD.

Hard to say that. What would Stoops have done at Iowa? The guy is a college football Hall of Fame coach who made ten BCS/NY 6 bowl games and won a national title and played for a few more.

I think he would have done very well there. He loves Iowa and would have probably stayed loyal to them.

Iowa is fortunate that they were able to recover from the mistake of not offering him the job in the first place. Ferentz is a good coach but not on Stoops level.

In 1998 me and my buddy had tickets in the student section. Back then student tickets were reserved, not GA and we were in row 2 right by the tunnel. Somehow this group of 5 Hawkeye fans in their mid 30's bought tickets in the first row of the student section. We didn't see them after halftime.

I tell my Iowa buddy all the time that the Gophers retired Hayden Fry.

Record vs Iowa since 1993: 21-7

Last win in Iowa City: 1999

4BANGU9.png
I was at this game, I was a senior in HS (long damn time ago) and was my first trip to Iowa City. The hawkeye fans were hateful assholes to us and it was delicious to rub this one in their face. Every step I took walking out of that place I was jawwing at them :cool:

Love hearing these stories! Keep em coming!

Hope to hear about some new great stories/memories created tomorrow by people making the trip!

(also, I'm an idiot as it's 7-21 not 21-7, fixed)

Went to the 08 game with my dad and two sons. Now have 1 Hawkeye fan in the family as my youngest who was 8 at the time loved how the Hawkeyes steamrolled us.

It's interesting to come up with "what if" concepts regarding the 2006 game. At the end of October the Gophers got drilled 44-donut by Ohio State and sat with a record of 3-6 and 0-5 in the Big Ten. The student section was chanting "FIRE MASON!" every game.

Gophers end up finishing the year on a 3 game winning streak, beating Indiana 63-26; Michigan State 31-18 and Iowa 34-24. Mason was retained....but then blew a 38-7 lead in the bowl game with 7 minutes left in the 3rd....and that got him fired.

If Minnesota had lost to Iowa in 2006 Mason would have likely stayed on for 2007. That means no Brewster and likely throws every single season since into a butterfly effect somehow. Crazy to think about what our program would look like if it wasn't for that one game.

I think he would have done very well there. He loves Iowa and would have probably stayed loyal to them.

Iowa is fortunate that they were able to recover from the mistake of not offering him the job in the first place. Ferentz is a good coach but not on Stoops level.

Damn that was my fifth grade year, I was 11.
My oldest son can say he was alive when the Gophers last won in Iowa City. He was 1 and staying with relatives in Iowa City. He actually went with us to a Gopher Basketball game at the Barn in 1998, slept through all the noise. They places he's been that he doesn't even remember.

It's interesting to come up with "what if" concepts regarding the 2006 game. At the end of October the Gophers got drilled 44-donut by Ohio State and sat with a record of 3-6 and 0-5 in the Big Ten. The student section was chanting "FIRE MASON!" every game.

Gophers end up finishing the year on a 3 game winning streak, beating Indiana 63-26; Michigan State 31-18 and Iowa 34-24. Mason was retained....but then blew a 38-7 lead in the bowl game with 7 minutes left in the 3rd....and that got him fired.

If Minnesota had lost to Iowa in 2006 Mason would have likely stayed on for 2007. That means no Brewster and likely throws every single season since into a butterfly effect somehow. Crazy to think about what our program would look like if it wasn't for that one game.
I predict that Mason coaches through the 2010 season, and then is replaced by Jerry Kill. :)

I predict that Mason coaches through the 2010 season, and then is replaced by Jerry Kill. :)
Possible. But would we have dropped so much in prestige? Remember Kill was our fallback option because everyone else said no.

Oh, I see what you meant. I took it to mean that you thought they were fortunate that Stoops turned them down so they could get Ferentz. You meant after the screwed up with Stoops, they were lucky Ferentz turned out as successful as he was, given how much of a no-name he was and the rough start he had.

Top Bottom