1989 Gophers vs. Ohio State

UptownMaroon&Gold

longtime gopher sufferer
Reaction score
Wow! what a great win for our program!....classic game on BTN right now.....31-nuts at half, this one is in the bag......

You're right. It's in the bag. There's no reason to even watch the second half (unless you want to see if you can spot me playing tuba in the band).

Ugh. I've never seen that game, and I don't intend to start now. I remember the game well. I was in the Air Force, stationed out in California. We didn't get the game out there, this was in the stone age, when you got what you got. You didn't even get updates too often. So, I'm sitting there, still feeling good about the big, insurmountable lead, and the next update I hear is "Greatest comeback in Buckeye history".

I had never watched it before last night....just get the feeling that the football Gods don't like us....that last pass from Schaffner to Rhem was literally on his fingertips. Sad:cry:

I watched until halftime, and then happily turned off the tube. Watching Thompson run again was fun.

Watched portions of the game till half-time telling myself we won the game. I was living in Boston at the time and remember seeing the score updates while watching some other game. I don't think I found out until the next morning what happened.

We seem to have had an unusual number of losses that shouldn't be possible but happened anyway, total collapses by both the offense and defense at the same time.

Curse of the Metrodome.....

.....one of its signature moments.

Are we the proud victims of both Ohio St and Michigan's greatest comebacks in history? Along with the greatest comeback in bowl game history?

Nice. :)

I was 12 and watched this game on ABC with my dad and grandfather. I've never seen my dad so upset in my life. Gutekunst had this scared look in his eyes in the 4th quarter.

I remember Gutey and his staff adamantly denying that they went into a "prevent" defense,
but anyone watching that game can easily see that they were laying back and letting
things happen underneath.

The prevent defense is very capable of blowing a 31-point lead if given an entire half to
work. That game was proof of that.

Had they just pinned their ears back on defense like they did in the 1st half, sure, they
might have given up a long ball or two, but chances are they would have won.

That game was the difference in going 7-4 and 6-5, and cost us a bowl game.

The following year, the freakish loss to Utah in the dome was again the difference between
going 7-4 and 6-5, again costing us a bowl game.

How many times have we stopped doing what was working all game, and had it come back to bite us. Ok, it worked on 1st down and 2nd down, but now that it's 3rd down every body get WAY back off the line! Or it's the middle of the third quarter, and we stop doing what was working all game long.

I remember Gutey and his staff adamantly denying that they went into a "prevent" defense,
but anyone watching that game can easily see that they were laying back and letting
things happen underneath.

The prevent defense is very capable of blowing a 31-point lead if given an entire half to
work. That game was proof of that.

Had they just pinned their ears back on defense like they did in the 1st half, sure, they
might have given up a long ball or two, but chances are they would have won.

That game was the difference in going 7-4 and 6-5, and cost us a bowl game.

The following year, the freakish loss to Utah in the dome was again the difference between

Attachments

• enter_key.JPG
    enter_key.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 19

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcMDbPlQgKo&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcMDbPlQgKo&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Often wonder about some of those games where it looks like we went into a prevent D. Could it have been, rather, that the well coached teams with better personnel finally figured out how to beat what we were doing and made those adjustments leaving us hanging out there unable to adjust ourselves. Just a thought. Sometimes I think, based on our past several decades of collapses, that we have the feeling it's going to happen again and we stand and watch it happen. The Dome was a snakepit with more lowlights than highlites for the Gophers. Hopefully TCF will turn that around.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcMDbPlQgKo&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YcMDbPlQgKo&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

UGH! We have to turn this program around. There are so f*@kin' many horrible losses I didn't even remember this one. damn.

Top Bottom