1986 game vs. Iowa

Reaction score
I remember Minnesota's Chip Lohmiller kicked a 61 or 62 yard field goal late in the first half.

I think there was just enough time for Iowa to make one or two plays, and they also kicked a 60+ yard FG as time expired.

Does anyone remember this game, or can help out with any details?

I wonder if this is the only time in NCAA football that each team both had field goals over 60 yards.

Thanks

IIRC it was 17-0 at the half after Lohmiller's kick. I remember thinking WTF are they trying? Why not a Hail Mary? Needless to say I was surprised by his leg strength.

We eventually tied it in the 2nd half and with time running out missed a field goal. MN was flagged for having too many men on the field and we got a re-kick that won the game.

I don't remember any IA - MN game w/ 2 60+ yd field goals.

What kind of rule is that?

A 15-yard penalty for 12 men on the field? That's terrible. I'm glad that ruling has since been changed. A personnel oversight should not have the same penalty as a malicious helmet-to-helmet hit.

That's what I thought, josh087!

I was taken by that sentence too. I don't remember too many men on the field being a 15 yd penalty either.
Anyone know when that was changed?

The rule has not been changed. If you play a down with 12 players on the field it IS a 15-yard penalty. Always has been. It is called Illegal Participation. And, I think it warrants a 15-yard penalty, since the team with 12 players gains a huge advantage.

What you may be confusing this with is Illegal Substitution (called much more frequently) and that's when the team breaks the huddle with 12 men. That is called right away and often times prevents a team from running a play with 12 men. That is a 5-yard penalty. But, in no huddle situations, special teams plays, or when a defense never huddles, you occasionally run into an Illegal Participation ruling, and that is 15-yards.

There also is 5 yard penalty for 12 men on the field when a player does not get off the field quickly enough but does not participate in the play. The difference being 15 yard illegal participation is an attempt to gain an advantage (cheat) and the 5 yard 12 men on the field is more of a personnel oversight.

And judging from what I have read on other memories from the dome the kick from Iowa was just a 51 yard attempt.

There also is 5 yard penalty for 12 men on the field when a player does not get off the field quickly enough but does not participate in the play. The difference being 15 yard illegal participation is an attempt to gain an advantage (cheat) and the 5 yard 12 men on the field is more of a personnel oversight.

And judging from what I have read on other memories from the dome the kick from Iowa was just a 51 yard attempt.

Good call Grunkie, there is that other portion of the rule. But, on the FG attempt in '86, we did have 12 men attempting to block said kick and participating in the play, meaning it was a 15 yard penalty. Unfortunate, but that's the rule.

That was a highly entertaining game, if ultimately frustrating for Gopher fans. I remember being surrounded by friendly Hawkeyes. There wasn't really any trash-talking or gloating when the game ended - more of an "I don't believe what just happened" emotion on everyone's part. It was pretty much the point where I concluded that if John Gutekunst and his assistants couldn't keep track of the number of men on the field there wasn't all that much hope for his program. I'm pretty sure that at least once earlier in the game the Gophers had to call time out when someone realized that they were a man short.

I thought I remembered that as the game where Lohmiller kicked two consecutive 60-yarders, but that must have been earlier in the season. In the game I'm thinking of he was kicked one from the 50-yard line right at the end of the first quarter, but time ran out just before the snap, so it didn't count. No problem. He turned around and drilled one through the other uprights on the first play of the second quarter. At least that's the way I remember it.

Not to take anything away from Lohmiller's incredible 60+ yard kick but didn't the NCAA allow FG kicks to be placed on short tees back then? I think that might have aided it a bit. I was a youngster back then so I may not be remembering it correctly.

They did have tees then

but I agree w/ you that it does't take away from Lohmiller's ability.

Top Bottom