balds

Reaction score
This season holds a special place for me. The previous summer Lou Holtz cold called my neighbor, urging him to buy season tickets because "I think we're going to have a pretty good team". My dad and neighbor went in on 4 season tickets and I went to every game that season.

fun highlights, thanks for posting

lou was a salesman!

Haven't heard much about Lou Holtz lately. Obviously aging (83). Any news?

I really liked that team. Had Lou stayed it would have been dwarfed by what came later, but it was very clear to just about everyone that the team was going places.

I really liked that team. Had Lou stayed it would have been dwarfed by what came later, but it was very clear to just about everyone that the team was going places.

Dwarfed by NCAA sanctions?

My senior year at the U. Still remember how excited I was that football season!

My brother played on that team. I went to so many home and road games that season. If Foggie didnt get hurt in that drive in the 4th quarter we probably would have pulled out the Ohio State game and probably would have won Michigan State the next week. Michigan and Iowa were just better teams that year.

This is a really dumb question; but is there any of those "I was there when Lou screwed the U" T-shirts still around?

I was so oblivious to that team in those years as a DIII player up the road,, but I do remember my HS friend Dave S. had season student tickets and we were in line for the Oklahoma game and found out he forgot the tickets when at the gate.

Horrible day, think we walked back and watched the game at Sgt. Preston's or at Grandmas, even though I just remember we at a bar, and knew we lost. Not sure we even saw the game, but we resumed drinking and lamenting his inability to bring the actual tickets.

To my credit, I remember telling my HS pal, who had never been to Memorial Stadium, that the Metrodome really sucked and he was better for never setting foot inside. it. I am pretty sure ol' Dave later succumbed to invitations to Twins games in that shthole, but I saved him that day.

Like others, I had season tickets all the years I was a student 84-89. The most memorable was the Oklahoma game. Most of them were vague memories. I only remember bits and pieces of the games.

I was told that before Holtz accepted the Notre Dame job we had the number 1 recruiting class for the following year. Of course most of those verbal commits dropped us. Anyone else hear this? What could have been if that N.D. job hadn’t come open. It really is incredible to think how this all came to be.

Dan Devine had been a very successful head coach for the Irish and in 1980 he decided to retire at the relatively young age of 55. Notre Dame then had a decision on a replacement. Amazingly, they hired a man who had no college coaching experience. Gerry Faust, had an great resume at Moeller High School in Cincinnati, his only coaching job where he started in 1960. It seems incredible a school with the pedigree of Notre Dame would hire a high school coach no matter how impressive of a record. After Glen Mason was fired, there were a few that brought up the name Mike Grant at Eden Prairie. Even here, that was quickly dismissed as not serious.

Well, Gerry Faust was not successful, and five years later was fired and Notre Dame hired Holtz. So, what could have been if Notre Dame had hired a decent coach that lasted 10 years. Give Holtz another 5 years at Minnesota. I think we could have built something similar to what Barry Alvarez did with Wisconsin. But alas, it was not to be and just file this in the large bucket of bad Minnesota sports luck.

Last edited:

Top Bottom