1981 Ohio State vs Gophers Game

Amazing to think that Ohio State is 1 of 4 (including Nebraska)B1G programs to NEVER lose at the dome... Funny that the transition to the dome was going to be a "good" thing for recruiting ...

Who's the 4th? We never played Rutgers or Maryland and everyone else lost more than one game in the dome. I've in person seen Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, MSU, Northwestern, PSU, Purdue, and Wisconsin all lose multiple game in the dome.

Pardon me, but my age is showing here. I went to High School with a kid who was heavily recruited for D1, including Minnesota, during this era. He got tix to this game and he brought me and another friend. I seem to remember Chester Cooper catching a long bomb over his shoulder in this game. I would have loved to see this replay! Is it going to be shown again any time soon? An older guy like me could use a time machine about now!

I was there. A buddy and I were in the student section at the open end of the stadium. We were both in a severe beer haze. Thing I remember most is that it was after the end of Daylight Savings Time and Memorial didn't have lights and because of all the passing, the game was running long and it was getting dark. Games started at 1 PM in those days and the game had to run close to 3 1/2 hours. Didn't see the replay, but didn't Kelvin Bell tip the pass that Carroll caught, giving us the lead. I seem to remember that.

And for those who thought Schlichter had money riding, if he did, he sure put up a great act on the sideline with the Gophers running out the clock. He was slamming and kicking his helmet all over the place.

I was there. A buddy and I were in the student section at the open end of the stadium. We were both in a severe beer haze. Thing I remember most is that it was after the end of Daylight Savings Time and Memorial didn't have lights and because of all the passing, the game was running long and it was getting dark. Games started at 1 PM in those days and the game had to run close to 3 1/2 hours. Didn't see the replay, but didn't Kelvin Bell tip the pass that Carroll caught, giving us the lead. I seem to remember that.

And for those who thought Schlichter had money riding, if he did, he sure put up a great act on the sideline with the Gophers running out the clock. He was slamming and kicking his helmet all over the place.

Yes, Kelvin Bell did tip the ball that Jay Carroll caught. Interestingly enough, Jay was the backup TE that year until Mike Curtis missed a good chunk of the season with an injury (not sure which game he was hurt). TE's were some of QB Hohensee's favorite targets.

Top Bottom