1976-1977 Gopher Basketball -- My favorite team

Gold Rush

Reaction score
This was the first year I ever followed Gopher basketball and I really picked a great year! I eagerly awaited every game and listened to all the games on the radio with Ray Christensen announcing on WCCO. The Gophers finished 15-3 in the Big Ten and 24-3 overall and had an absolutely fantastic team. When asked about the team later on, team MVP and future #1 NBA draft pick by the Portland Trail Blazers Mychal Thompson said, "Remember, this team should have had both Mark Olberding and Mark Landsberger on it. (Both went on to the NBA early to avoid sanctions) "We would have been unstoppable!"

In addition to Thompson, who averaged 22.0 pts and 8.9 rebounds a game playing center, the team also had forward Ray Williams, who went on to become the #10 pick for the NY Knicks who averaged 18.0 pts a game with 7.5 rebounds and 6 assists. They also had Dave Winey at PF who was a Parade All American who averaged 5 pts and 5 rebounds a game and a young freshman named Kevin McHale who averaged 12 pts and 8 rebounds. At guard Goose Lockhart who would go on to play for the Harlem Globetrotters averaged 14.6 points and lastly, Flip Saunders started at point guard with only 6 pts a game but he was a smart, tough player who quarterbacked the team. In one word -- outstanding.

The team's highlights included beating a #6 Marquette team 66-59 team at MECCA arena early in the season and sweeping Bobby Knight's Hoosiers both games. The only losses were to Purdue and Joe Barry Carroll by two points at Mackey Arena and to an excellent Michigan team twice.

Due to probation, they were not allowed in the NCAA Tournament and their record was placed at 0-27, but for Coach Jim Dutcher, the players and myself this was an unbelievable and enjoyable season. I do not know if I will ever see a team this good ever again here and had they kept both Olberding and Landsberger with this team, they truly would have been unstoppable and one of the greatest teams of that era.

This was the first year I ever followed Gopher basketball and I really picked a great year! I eagerly awaited every game and listened to all the games on the radio with Ray Christensen announcing on WCCO. The Gophers finished 15-3 in the Big Ten and 24-3 overall and had an absolutely fantastic team. When asked about the team later on, team MVP and future #1 NBA draft pick by the Portland Trail Blazers Mychal Thompson said, "Remember, this team should have had both Mark Olberding and Mark Landsberger on it. (Both went on to the NBA early to avoid sanctions) "We would have been unstoppable!"

In addition to Thompson, who averaged 22.0 pts and 8.9 rebounds a game playing center, the team also had forward Ray Williams, who went on to become the #10 pick for the NY Knicks who averaged 18.0 pts a game with 7.5 rebounds and 6 assists. They also had Dave Winey at PF who was a Parade All American who averaged 5 pts and 5 rebounds a game and a young freshman named Kevin McHale who averaged 12 pts and 8 rebounds. At guard Goose Lockhart who would go on to play for the Harlem Globetrotters averaged 14.6 points and lastly, Flip Saunders started at point guard with only 6 pts a game but he was a smart, tough player who quarterbacked the team. In one word -- outstanding.

The team's highlights included beating a #6 Marquette team 66-59 team at MECCA arena early in the season and sweeping Bobby Knight's Hoosiers both games. The only losses were to Purdue and Joe Barry Carroll by two points at Mackey Arena and to an excellent Michigan team twice.

Due to probation, they were not allowed in the NCAA Tournament and their record was placed at 0-27, but for Coach Jim Dutcher, the players and myself this was an unbelievable and enjoyable season. I do not know if I will ever see a team this good ever again here and had they kept both Olberding and Landsberger with this team, they truly would have been unstoppable and one of the greatest teams of that era.
They were the best team in the country. Marquette was the eventual national champ that year.

They were the best team in the country. Marquette was the eventual national champ that year.
They had guys like Butch Lee and Bo Ellis who went on to play in the NBA. Al McGuire was the coach, too. They had a great team! Mychal Thompson was drafted ahead of Larry Bird in his draft -- wish we would have gotten his son to play here too!!

Yes, the only team close was our 1997 team who made the Final Four. Sadly both teams have been screwed by sanctions.
I couldn't get 'CCO in the sticks (hard to believe, I know), but I watched every game I could on my little 13"Black & White with aluminum foil everywhere to try get reception.

They had guys like Butch Lee and Bo Ellis who went on to play in the NBA. Al McGuire was the coach, too. They had a great team! Mychal Thompson was drafted ahead of Larry Bird in his draft -- wish we would have gotten his son to play here too!!
After we played them McGuire said that we had "thoroughbreds" on our team.

First team I followed Those players were larger than life to me Remember listening to Ray on CCO and wearing out the Tribs sports section. Williams Arena was the place to be .

Olberding got a pretty good offer to jump to the ABA but I'm pretty sure for Landsberger the reason he left was that he wanted to get as far away from Musselman as possible, he ended up at Arizona St.

Olberding got a pretty good offer to jump to the ABA but I'm pretty sure for Landsberger the reason he left was that he wanted to get as far away from Musselman as possible, he ended up at Arizona St.
Landsberger left when Mussy left. So leaving didn't get him away from Musselman. Dutcher was the new coach and perhaps Landsberger didn't want to be under the cloud of probation, or thought everyone would make a break for it and we'd be bad.

I started at the University of Minnesota in the fall of 1974. Everyone knew who Mark Olberding was because of the way he dominated the state tournament. Olberding and Thompson were freshmen and Landsberger was a sophomore who transferred in. When Landsberger was a gopher, he was a finesse player who shot 20 foot jump shots. Hard to believe he was the same guy who started for the lakers. I remember that Olberding and Landsberger both had 30 point games that year. The balcony was student general admission seating. We often got there at 5:30 to get a good seat for the game. Conference games usually had 17,500 fans at the game. Hard to believe how empty Williams Arena is now. Best game I ever saw was the Marquette game in the fall of 1975. Marquette had Jerome Whitehead, Bo Ellis, Earl Tatum and Butch Lee on their team. It was Dutcher's first year and we were not certain how good Michael Thompson was. We won the game. Thompson showed us he was a star. At the time, Marquette had the second best program in the country (behind UCLA) and had the coolest culture of any team.

Yes, the only team close was our 1997 team who made the Final Four. Sadly both teams have been screwed by sanctions.
I couldn't get 'CCO in the sticks (hard to believe, I know), but I watched every game I could on my little 13"Black & White with aluminum foil everywhere to try get reception.
I've been told the 2009-2010 team was the odds on favorite to win the National Title....

I started at the University of Minnesota in the fall of 1974. Everyone knew who Mark Olberding was because of the way he dominated the state tournament. Olberding and Thompson were freshmen and Landsberger was a sophomore who transferred in. When Landsberger was a gopher, he was a finesse player who shot 20 foot jump shots. Hard to believe he was the same guy who started for the lakers. I remember that Olberding and Landsberger both had 30 point games that year. The balcony was student general admission seating. We often got there at 5:30 to get a good seat for the game. Conference games usually had 17,500 fans at the game. Hard to believe how empty Williams Arena is now. Best game I ever saw was the Marquette game in the fall of 1975. Marquette had Jerome Whitehead, Bo Ellis, Earl Tatum and Butch Lee on their team. It was Dutcher's first year and we were not certain how good Michael Thompson was. We won the game. Thompson showed us he was a star. At the time, Marquette had the second best program in the country (behind UCLA) and had the coolest culture of any team.
Great stuff!

We had another big - 7 footer Chad Nelson who came in with Thompson. When the season started Musselman gave them equal platoon time, but one could see that it was just a matter of time when Thompson would put it together and pass him by. I came to campus that same fall although I had gotten addicted to the Gophers a few years prior. I remember Landsberger going from class to class with weights on his legs getting in every ounce of training he could. The whole thing was amazing from the wait to get a seat, the pregame show and then the talent he brought in.

The year after Muss brought in the whopper class he brought in a bunch of bench depth, none of whom would be expected to play much. He didn't go very deep with his rosters.

Thompson was in one of my business classes a few years later. I never saw him after the first week. I'm not saying he wasn't doing his work but he wasn't in class when I was. IIRC he got a B in the class - posted on the prof's door and some smart alec kid wrote next to his grade- "Is that all Dutcher can get you?"

My first year at the U, had season tickets, great memories. I got to know several members of that team, will always be my favorite team.

It's really too bad the NCAA went out of their way to make an example of this team due to Musselman 130ish recruiting violations. Grant it if Musselman hadn't pissed off the establishment 129 of those never see the light of day

Dan Kosmoski, the former Goper asst and now St. Olaf coach was a deep reserve on that team. I think he was from Owatonna.

The home game with MI was a great game. Steve Grote hit a huge shot late in the game to seal it for MI. The rematch in Ann Arbor a couple weeks later was a blowout.

I was a student at the U in the '70s, sat in the front row of the balcony center line (GA student season ticket) for all the games, and my favorite rememberance was listening to Julius Pearlt announcing, "Lan-n-n-n-ndsberger-r-r-r!!!" and, "Ol-l-l-l-l-lberding-g-g-g-g!!!!!
Screenshot_20230112-145609_Google.jpg

Last edited:

Great stuff!

We had another big - 7 footer Chad Nelson who came in with Thompson. When the season started Musselman gave them equal platoon time, but one could see that it was just a matter of time when Thompson would put it together and pass him by. I came to campus that same fall although I had gotten addicted to the Gophers a few years prior. I remember Landsberger going from class to class with weights on his legs getting in every ounce of training he could. The whole thing was amazing from the wait to get a seat, the pregame show and then the talent he brought in.

The year after Muss brought in the whopper class he brought in a bunch of bench depth, none of whom would be expected to play much. He didn't go very deep with his rosters.

Thompson was in one of my business classes a few years later. I never saw him after the first week. I'm not saying he wasn't doing his work but he wasn't in class when I was. IIRC he got a B in the class - posted on the prof's door and some smart alec kid wrote next to his grade- "Is that all Dutcher can get you?"
I also came to the U in 74-75 as an athlete in another sport, and got to know some of the guys on that team, which was in '76 the best team we've ever had. And let's just say that to get through some of the classes that they had, they must have had some help or some very understanding professors!
When will it ever happen again that we would have the eventual #1 pick in the draft (Thompson), an NBA Hall of Famer (McHale), the 10th pick in the 1st round and a 10 yr NBA veteran (Williams) and an amazing backcourt with Osborne Lockhart and Flip? That team was beyond anything we'll see again.

It's really too bad the NCAA went out of their way to make an example of this team due to Musselman 130ish recruiting violations. Grant it if Musselman hadn't pissed off the establishment 129 of those never see the light of day
After the Ohio State brawl the Muss most definitely had a target on his back and, sorry to disagree, rightfully so. Was a long-time subsriber to "Sports Illustrated" because of the great writers they had and I remembered an article they had on Jim Dutcher cleaning up Musselman's mess. Was an easy Google find. Dutch was a class act and it's too bad his tenure as Gopher coach ended the way it did. We were on our way home from a road trip out east maybe around 1980 and stopped in a Rhinelander DQ for something to eat. Got in line and I was standing behind sort of a balding, tall guy. He turned his head and it was Jim Dutcher on his way to Michigan. Couldn't have been nicer to this rube bothering him.

Oh the link to SI story: https://vault.si.com/vault/1976/01/12/gophers-get-out-of-a-hole

After the Ohio State brawl the Muss most definitely had a target on his back and, sorry to disagree, rightfully so. Was a long-time subsriber to "Sports Illustrated" because of the great writers they had and I remembered an article they had on Jim Dutcher cleaning up Musselman's mess. Was an easy Google find. Dutch was a class act and it's too bad his tenure as Gopher coach ended the way it did. We were on our way home from a road trip out east maybe around 1980 and stopped in a Rhinelander DQ for something to eat. Got in line and I was standing behind sort of a balding, tall guy. He turned his head and it was Jim Dutcher on his way to Michigan. Couldn't have been nicer to this rube bothering him.

Oh the link to SI story: https://vault.si.com/vault/1976/01/12/gophers-get-out-of-a-hole

Dan Kosmoski, the former Goper asst and now St. Olaf coach was a deep reserve on that team. I think he was from Owatonna.

He was from Owatonna. Great athlete- state high jump champ; all-state football. Punted for U a year or two as well.

Thanks for posting this. My pops always talked about how great that 76-77 Golden Gopher squad was, even to this day. And it is crazy to think, we could have had Mark Olberding and Mark Landsberger on that squad. Holy smokes!! That would have been a lethal lineup.

my memory may be wrong. didn't that team have only 6 scholarship players, six walk ons?

Top Bottom