18 Teams in the BIG TEN - Only one lost - Can you name them?

sure, a win is better than a loss. so the reactions would be more tempered. but I think that, for me at least, it would have been an uneasy win. changing the outcome of one play does not negate anything that happened earlier. all of the perceived problems or issues are still there, but they wouldn't sting as much after a win as they do after a loss.

"we didn't look great, but we won" is certainly better than "we didn't look great and we lost."

but given a choice, I'd rather be able to say "we looked good and we won."

Well, wins and losses are black or white outcomes, based on the objective fact of the final score.

Judging whether a team looked good, bad or so-so, on the other hand, can a highly subjective call.

Minnesota wasn't playing against some creampuff. The Gophers were slight underdogs.

I already pulled the pin and curled up on the grenade...See ya next year

Makes for a crazy looking graphic and is low hanging fruit for the trolls and those who want to find a way to be negative all the time.

Falls apart when you dig just a little bit and realize that in like 15 of those 18 games the Big Ten team was a massive favorite and really only Minnesota, USC, and Penn State played a quality opponent in week one.
You live either in Shangi La or PJ’s basement.

You live either in Shangi La or PJ’s basement.
What exactly is wrong with what I said? I was a little high with my 15 big favorites, turns out only 12 were 20+ point favorites, and 14 or 18 were double digit favorites.

The fact that we were the only Big Ten team to lose says way more about the quality of opponents the majority of the conference was facing then it does about us. But feel free to keep looking for any reason you can to trash the program.....it is your specialty.

sure, a win is better than a loss. so the reactions would be more tempered. but I think that, for me at least, it would have been an uneasy win. changing the outcome of one play does not negate anything that happened earlier. all of the perceived problems or issues are still there, but they wouldn't sting as much after a win as they do after a loss.

"we didn't look great, but we won" is certainly better than "we didn't look great and we lost."

but given a choice, I'd rather be able to say "we looked good and we won."
Yes, we aren't good enough to win if we don't play well against a quality opponent. Fleck also mentioned that we do not have much/any margin for error. That has been the case for a long time, Kill used to talk about margin for error too. We just can't make the stupid ones, like illegal formation, etc. I remember when Kill was here and we were playing at Nebraska. They blocked a FG attempt of ours right before halftime and ran it in for a long TD. A 10 point swing on one play. But we ended up winning the game. I kept thinking, "That never happens for us, giving up a blocked FG for a TD and winning the game??!! Our margin of error has increased." But Thursday we made just a few too many misques and eclipsed our margin for error. Let's get it straightened out and win on Saturday.

I would be curious to know: if the ball had just happened to curl to the right but inside the upright, meaning we, you know, won the game ... would everyone still feel exactly the same about the team and its prospects for this year?

Literally every single play leading up to that moment, would be exactly the same. All the same performances, all the same calls, all the same outcomes. Penalties, positive plays, bad players, etc.

Just that the ball happened to curve slightly less to the right.

Or would having a "1" in the W column completely change things for you?
If the point is whether or not we won the game impacts how we feel about it, then I'll concede that point.

If we had hit on the winning field goal as time expired, it probably would have helped masked a really concerning offensive performance.

I would be curious to know: if the ball had just happened to curl to the right but inside the upright, meaning we, you know, won the game ... would everyone still feel exactly the same about the team and its prospects for this year?

Literally every single play leading up to that moment, would be exactly the same. All the same performances, all the same calls, all the same outcomes. Penalties, positive plays, bad players, etc.

Well, I think there is a large confidence boost in starting the season undefeated. I like our chances better versus Iowa if we were undefeated.
We did not look hapless or hopeless to me. We'll fix some things, we will get better. But, good enough to beat Iowa? Or, just good enough to lose close?
These next two weeks will give me a better understanding of who we are. Do we stomp the next two opponents?

Wouldn't change much for me.

Our offense is still primitive. We have major issues.

National Champ danceline. I’m not sure anyone else is fielding a danceline

Anyone else wondering why we didn’t run the last play to the left hash mark. He had been hooking his kicks all nigh.t

The only way that I'll ever have any respect for FB or BB again is if we leave the Big Ten and form an actual college conference. And leave the slime & sleaze behind.

But our administration loves money...while hating FB and men's BB.
Same old from pilgrim. Why do you even post here?

Top Bottom