16 of the last 17 college football national champions have come from inside this red oval.

Go Gophers!!

Yes, and the one that didn't is a perennial powerhouse that has had two losing seasons in the last 56 years.

Perhaps more relevant to the current environment is that 3 schools have won 7 of the last 8 championships.

This is why I've never been very enthusiastic about the expansion of the playoffs to 12 teams. The national championship in any given year is irrelevant for all but two or three teams. Just let the rest of the teams enjoy their encore bowl performances.

Yes, and the one that didn't is a perennial powerhouse that has had two losing seasons in the last 56 years.

Perhaps more relevant to the current environment is that 3 schools have won 7 of the last 8 championships.

This is why I've never been very enthusiastic about the expansion of the playoffs to 12 teams. The national championship in any given year is irrelevant for all but two or three teams. Just let the rest of the teams enjoy their encore bowl performances.
Nah, I'm all for it. Make 'em earn it.

At least the 12 team playoff will make them prove it on the field over 3-4 games.

I have come to the realization (lol) this red oval's pro football is their local university's football team. There are 1 maybe 2 NFL franchises in this area if by chance the NFL expanded into a second division like a European association football club then this part of the country wouldn't dominate college football.

I have come to the realization (lol) this red oval's pro football is their local university's football team. There are 1 maybe 2 NFL franchises in this area if by chance the NFL expanded into a second division like a European association football club then this part of the country wouldn't dominate college football.
Actually there are three: NO, Atlanta and Jax. Carolina, TB, and Tennessee just outside the fringe.

I kinda hate how even local CFB discussions get a lot of national type natty discussion .... not to say you can't talk about these things, of course you can, but it kinda colors things.

What makes CFB great is how local an regional it is, but as the conversation turns toward more and more natty only talk things seem more like the NFL and then what even is CFB if the discussions all end up at the same place?

(that place being talking about mitch of course)

+1000

At least the 12 team playoff will make them prove it on the field over 3-4 games.
Georgia's last 2 regular seasons didn't prove enough to you?

Just wait until the star QB on the #1 team goes down with an ACL while playing Coastal Carolina in the playoffs all because Coastal Carolina squeaked out a victory in their conference championship game, giving them the right to the 12 team playoff.

And actually give all teams a legit path to a championship.
If you think a group of 5 champion has any path to the national championship as long as the SEC is around, you're fooling yourself.

All those "Rudy" teams are going to get plastered senseless. I mean, did anyone enjoy watching TCU get the sh*t beat out of them for 4 quarters????? Yet you guys want MORE of those kinda games???

Shake my head. This isn't basketball where some small school can light it up from beyond the arc and pull off an upset. The top 2 or 3 teams in college football will destroy the rest of the competition, whether it's a 6, 8, 12, 16, 64 team playoff, it doesn't matter.

Georgia's last 2 regular seasons didn't prove enough to you?

Just wait until the star QB on the #1 team goes down with an ACL while playing Coastal Carolina in the playoffs all because Coastal Carolina squeaked out a victory in their conference championship game, giving them the right to the 12 team playoff.
Sounds like the NFL every year. Chances of playing football.

If you think a group of 5 champion has any path to the national championship as long as the SEC is around, you're fooling yourself.

All those "Rudy" teams are going to get plastered senseless. I mean, did anyone enjoy watching TCU get the sh*t beat out of them for 4 quarters????? Yet you guys want MORE of those kinda games???

Shake my head. This isn't basketball where some small school can light it up from beyond the arc and pull off an upset. The top 2 or 3 teams in college football will destroy the rest of the competition, whether it's a 6, 8, 12, 16, 64 team playoff, it doesn't matter.
That's why 12 is the number. 12 allows all earned conference championships and some at large teams to play it out on the field. All P5 conference get the champion in. That's really all people are asking for.

Basketball has 350+ teams. I agree it is different, but every conference gets their champion in.

I'd like to see 9% of Football teams in playoff. Basketball is 20%. Pro sports take 40-50% of teams into the playoff and teams with losing records.

Sounds like the NFL every year. Chances of playing football.
That doesn't mean it's right. You said something true, but it was tangent to my point. The point is that is worthless to expose the top teams to injury against the also-rans, unless you just want something on TV no matter what.

That's why 12 is the number. 12 allows all earned conference championships and some at large teams to play it out on the field. All P5 conference get the champion in. That's really all people are asking for.
So again, you are stating you are fine with the type of beatdowns that will be coming? You're going to enjoy college football playoff games that are over before halftime?

And to the bolded, it's what *some* people are asking for. The rest of us realize only about 2-3 teams deserve a shot once the regular season has played out.

But answer please, "yes" or "no", do you want to see more lopsided playoff games?

I kinda hate how even local CFB discussions get a lot of national type natty discussion .... not to say you can't talk about these things, of course you can, but it kinda colors things.

What makes CFB great is how local an regional it is, but as the conversation turns toward more and more natty only talk things seem more like the NFL and then what even is CFB if the discussions all end up at the same place?

(that place being talking about mitch of course)
Yeah, I really don't give the National title a lot of thought when it comes to college football because the reality is that it would take everything coming together perfectly (kind of like it did for TCU) for us to have a real shot of contending for it.

Some fans struggle with other fans being ok with us having a strong program that competes well in conference but isn't at the National contender level. But for me this is good enough. If we are in the mix for double digit wins most years I am perfectly fine with that.

When no conference champion is given an automatic berth it's flawed.
That's your opinion, not fact. Look, anyone can construct an argument to show any system is flawed. I think the NFL has it wrong when a team like the Packers can go 9-7, barely above .500, yet make the playoffs. That's flawed imo.

You could also say it's flawed that TCU got in over K-State, since K-State won the conference.

Things like this happen when you play too many games. TCU already beat K-State and went undefeated in conference. They should have been champs without the game being played. But they play it for TV revenue, TCU loses to a 3-loss team, but still gets in the playoffs....

The people not wanting expansion realize that the Big 12 champion isn't in the same stratosphere as the SEC champ. No group of 5 conference champ will be competitive with an SEC team after 5 minutes of game action. Do you disagree?

When no conference champion is given an automatic berth it's flawed. Go 11-1 and skip championship game due to 1 loss, but then get to play in the 4 team playoff. That's dumb.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but they're going to easily make it in an expanded playoff anyways. I think people are fooling themselves if they think the little guy is going to beat a 3rd place SEC or even a B1G team in the first round of a 12 team playoff.

If there was a 12 team playoff the last two seasons, I'd bet a lot of money that Cincinnati or TCU wouldn't even make the final four, let alone the championship game. Yet under the current system, they did.

That's your opinion, not fact. Look, anyone can construct an argument to show any system is flawed. I think the NFL has it wrong when a team like the Packers can go 9-7, barely above .500, yet make the playoffs. That's flawed imo.

You could also say it's flawed that TCU got in over K-State, since K-State won the conference.

Things like this happen when you play too many games. TCU already beat K-State and went undefeated in conference. They should have been champs without the game being played. But they play it for TV revenue, TCU loses to a 3-loss team, but still gets in the playoffs....

The people not wanting expansion realize that the Big 12 champion isn't in the same stratosphere as the SEC champ. No group of 5 conference champ will be competitive with an SEC team after 5 minutes of game action. Do you disagree?
By your logic the SEC should be it's own league and the rest should just be another league. I don't disagree per se but you realize that TCU still had to beat Michigan and did. There will be upsets every year in the 12 team playoff.

If there was a 12 team playoff the last two seasons, I'd bet a lot of money that Cincinnati or TCU wouldn't even make the final four, let alone the championship game. Yet under the current system, they did.
While I love your post, technically cincy didn't make the championship. Alabama slept through the semi-final and still beat them easily.

By your logic the SEC should be it's own league and the rest should just be another league. I don't disagree per se but you realize that TCU still had to beat Michigan and did. There will be upsets every year in the 12 team playoff.
Close, as I feel only tOSU could join the SEC and win half of their conference games. Every other team in the country would never win more than 1-2 SEC games, not michigan, not USC, etc. The grind of the SEC regular season would wear those teams' athletes down to the nubs come November.

I'll give you a point for the upsets that you bring up. But my counter would be, are we wanting to watch the best teams compete against one another for the title, or are we looking for NFL and NBA-level chaos? If you have a 12 team playoff and some upsets sprinkled in, do you real end up with the 2 best teams competing for the title? I doubt it.

While I love your post, technically cincy didn't make the championship. Alabama slept through the semi-final and still beat them easily.

Yes I know, that was my point. They still made it to the final four in today's CFP, and I doubt they would have if the playoff was 12 teams.

Actually there are three: NO, Atlanta and Jax. Carolina, TB, and Tennessee just outside the fringe.
Capture.JPG
You're right that there are a lot on the outside fringe. Crazy how that area of the country is not dominated by the NFL when arguably the rest of the country is.

You could also say of the last 17 National Champions:
6 were Alabama
3 were Urban Meyer
2 were Georgia
2 were Clemson
2 were LSU
1 was Florida State and Auburn

This will never change. The red oval is rock solid for decades which is why talking about winning a national championship here is senseless. It is not possible.

Crazy how that area of the country is not dominated by the NFL when arguably the rest of the country is.
I dunno, is it crazy? If Minnesota and Wisconsin were winning the last 3 national championships (like Georgia and 'bama have) would MN and WI be talking vikings and packers?

It could be that those fans don't need the NFL since their college teams compete for titles, whereas people in MN, WI, Illinois, etc only have a pro team that can potentially compete for a title, therefore the pro team gets the attention?

Yes I know, that was my point. They still made it to the final four in today's CFP, and I doubt they would have if the playoff was 12 teams.
Huge advantage to the top teams having a bye. They should have eight or sixteen but not twelve. That would level the playing field a bit.

Top Bottom