15 teams to watch in 2009-10

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
This assumes undecided potential NBA early entrants come back to school, the likes of Aldrich & Collins (Kansas), Aminu & Teague (Wake Forest), Blair (Pitt), DeRozan, Gibson & Hackett (USC), Flynn (Syracuse), Lucas (Michigan State) and Meeks & Patterson (Kentucky).

I've mixed in a few mid-majors to give them some love so, per se, this isn't a true top 15.

1. Kansas (a clear #1 if the 2 studs return)
2. Syracuse (this will be the Big East's best team)
3. Michigan State (who will replace what Suton provided?)
4. North Carolina (Heels will never dip far)
5. West Virginia (like what Huggy has coming back, + get Mazzulla back from injury)
6. Purdue (likely will be a 2-horse race in the Big 10)
7. USC (need 2 of their 3 studs to return to hold this spot)
8. Wake Forest (with great trepidation Deacs are placed here)
9. Texas (Pittman, James, Mason back, and add in Jai Lucas)
10. Mizzou (will Tigers prove they're not a one-year wonder?)
11. Kentucky (only if both Meeks & Patterson return)
12. Western Kentucky (could be the nation's best mid-major)
13. Butler (every single player returns)
14. Pitt (will drop off, but will always be tough)
15. Siena (Hasbrouck is only significant loss)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few teams.

I'd throw another Big Ten team into that Top 15 mix, from the likes of Minnesota, Ohio State, Illinois, or Michigan.

Oklahoma State is losing Eaton, but not much else, am I correct? If Calathes stays at Florida, I think they could factor into that mix too. As much as I love Pitt, I think next year is a regrouping year, especially with Blair likely headed into the draft. And I think UCLA and Washington could be factors out of the Pac 10. We'll have to see if Jonny Flynn comes back, I see that Boeheim was encouraging him to go through the draft process.

Edit: I also think Villanova will be right in the Top 10 mix too.

Looks wide open and for once the Gophers may not be far behind this pack- in fact they may join it. There are no teams on that list that just stand out as great like NC appeared to be (and was)when this year started.

I'll be watching the Golden Gophers all year long.

Top Bottom