14-3 Maryland just stormed the court

I'm just enjoying all of the positive feedback we are getting in the press and I would hate to see something like this make us look like a bunch of losers. I just have spend far too much time talking to non-gopher sports fans and have gained some insight into how people around the country view us, and other schools and things like rushing the court, etc..

All of the fans of programs out there that have experienced success in the past 10 or 20 years would just think less of us if we did something like that. It's not like we haven't been here before. I know some people have chosen to basically erase 1997 from their memories, as if it didn't happen or like we don't have the right to remember that it happened, but it did. We got all the way up to #2 in the polls, and we beat almost everyone in the Conf that year.

I think this year could be even better, not so much because we are better than the 97 team, but because there are fewer great teams out there this year. I think some of you want to celebrate winning a game, just in case something happens and the season goes into the crapper, but I think you are selling yourself short. We're going to have LOTS of chances to celebrate.

nm

Maximus - Your condescending tone aside, it doesn't affect my life at all, really. Except that I discuss sports with people from all over the country and I prefer it when fans tell me that they respect the Gophers or the University of Minnesota, as contrasted to when they poke fun of them for something.

And the very fact that we are talking about it, whether we should do it or not, has stripped it of its spontanaity. And when you have a mass of people rushing onto a risen court like ours, you are risking injury to students and players and whoever else.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of something extremely serious happening during a court rushing, but how many teams play on a risen court like we have. I hope that the University does something to prevent it. The lawsuits that could arise?

I just have a bad bad feeling about it. If it happened as a spontanious reaction to something incredible, well, then after the fact it would be hard to criticize too harshly unless something bad did happen because of it. But it just feels like its being planned. In our situation, if it happened now, I'd seriously doubt that it was spontanious at all.

I understand what I am saying makes me out to be a stick in the mud or a wet blanket or an old fart or maybe even a real jerk? I don't know and honestly I don't care. I'm a parent and as a parent quite often you have to forget about being liked by your kids. You have to do things that are for their own good and things that they might not come to understand for years, decades, and maybe never. Parents often have to be the bad guy/gal. Hey, maybe I am wrong, but I'd rather fall on the side of safety/playing it safe. Disagree with all you want, but I'm just doing what I think is best for UMinn.

I was gonna reply to you, but by the time I got to the end of your post, I forgot the beginning of your post, and as a result I forgot what I was gonna say. Well, just another example of "the memory is the second thing to go, and I forget what was first".

Maximus - Your condescending tone aside, it doesn't affect my life at all, really. Except that I discuss sports with people from all over the country and I prefer it when fans tell me that they respect the Gophers or the University of Minnesota, as contrasted to when they poke fun of them for something.

If the Gophers beat Michigan and are able to survive Evanston, the fans from all over the country poking fun will be poking fun at a team potentially ranked as high as fifth or sixth in the nation.

It's going to be okay.

Hey, do whatever, I'm none of you all's daddy, I'm not directly affiliated with the university, I'm old, I won't be at the game and no matter what happens, I'll live. But like I said, I just have a bad bad feeling about it. Could be something I ate, though?!

Being against rushing the court because it would be embarrassing for a top 10 team to rush the court is one thing. Someone who is against rushing the court due to worrying about injuring another player is most likely a hypochondriac as well.

Hey, do whatever, I'm none of you all's daddy, I'm not directly affiliated with the university, I'm old, I won't be at the game and no matter what happens, I'll live. But like I said, I just have a bad bad feeling about it. Could be something I ate, though?!

Happens to me all the time. I am a modern day recycling marvel. I eat solid food, and then I turn it into natural gas. It's a good feeling.

And the very fact that we are talking about it, whether we should do it or not, has stripped it of its spontanaity. And when you have a mass of people rushing onto a risen court like ours, you are risking injury to students and players and whoever else.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of something extremely serious happening during a court rushing, but how many teams play on a risen court like we have. I hope that the University does something to prevent it. The lawsuits that could arise?

I just have a bad bad feeling about it. If it happened as a spontanious reaction to something incredible, well, then after the fact it would be hard to criticize too harshly unless something bad did happen because of it. But it just feels like its being planned. In our situation, if it happened now, I'd seriously doubt that it was spontanious at all.

I understand what I am saying makes me out to be a stick in the mud or a wet blanket or an old fart or maybe even a real jerk? I don't know and honestly I don't care. I'm a parent and as a parent quite often you have to forget about being liked by your kids. You have to do things that are for their own good and things that they might not come to understand for years, decades, and maybe never. Parents often have to be the bad guy/gal. Hey, maybe I am wrong, but I'd rather fall on the side of safety/playing it safe. Disagree with all you want, but I'm just doing what I think is best for UMinn.

Are you by chance related to the Renegade Rambler, also know as Wren?

Top Bottom