12 wins tell me I’m wrong

Some guy

Reaction score
New Mexico State - will be a big win 20+ but I don’t think they cover
Western Illinois - this is the one that will make people nervous when the gophers win by only 14
Colorado - gophers need like 15 points to beat the colorado offense and I think they get them
@ Michigan state - first game that gave me pause…but I think Michigan state was flash in the pan and will be a 6-6 type team this year. Win by 7
Purdue - Purdue just finds ways to lose against MN lately
Bye week
@illinois - easiest win to predict on the schedule. Off a bye week and revenge game
@ penn state - they’re simply an average team as evidenced by their results the last two years.
Rutgers - tough game but I think we win.
@ Nebraska - who will be their coach for this game?
Northwestern - worst power 5 offense (except for colorado)
Iowa - we finally get them
@wisconsin - this game is for the big ten west (unless Purdue sweeps Iowa and Wisconsin) I think MN gets it.

If Minnesota were to win a National Title this year, this is how it would look.

1. New Mexico State - Minnesota unexpected showcases a passing attack and goes non-Vanilla as they trounce NMSU 49-10.

2. Western Illinois - WIU can't do much against this Gophers defense which causes 3 turnovers. Minnesota plays out the second half after a big lead and win 41-3.

3. Colorado - The Gopher defense stifles Colorado again. Colorado OC Mike Stanford has few answers while Kirk C shows what Tanner Morgan can do with sensible passing routes to his TE and WR. Minnesota wins 35-6.

4. @ MSU. A very interesting game as one team who broke through last year faces a team who hopes to break through into a national media darling. MSU is not the same team they were last year, but their defense is still a problem. Minnesota relies on a strong passing game and a timely running game to expose the MSU defense as being what it was last year. Minnesota wins a laugher 42-17. Minnesota is now ranked.

5. Purdue - The popular sleeper pick to win the Big Ten West heads to Minnesota. Minnesota goes more conservative on offense to shorten the game and the Gophers secondary locks down Purdue's passing options. Purdue gets a late TD to make the game look closer than it was, but Minnesota wins 34-24.

BYE

6. @Illinois - The Illini pulled the upset last year and Bert B does his best to shorten the game and keep it to a defensive slug fest. In the Gophers most balanced offensive attack so far, Minnesota wins 38-14.

7. @Penn St. The Gophers are climbing up the ranks unbeated at 6-0 but still are ranked behind 5 SEC teams with 1 loss each. Gophers veteran leadership works through a tough environment and wins controlling the running game on both sides. Minnesota secondary with two Ints. Gophers win 28-13.

8. Rutgers
Gophers after beating Penn State are now ranked 11th behind 3 one-loss SEC teams. Rutgers is scrappy and plays well with Minnesota coming off a big win. Minnesota wins one that appears closer than it is with a 23-17 win. Some 3 loss SEC team pulls an upset over a top 5 SEC team that week and that team leapfrogs Minnesota in the first CFP ranking that comes out since Minnesota didn't pass the "eye-test" against Rutgers.

9. @Nebraka - Gophers defense against comes up big with 2 ints and the Gophers win by 9 after a late TD by Nebraska. Final score is 18-27. Minnesota, still unbeaten is forced to move up the CFP rankings by 2 spots to the top 10. But Minnesota still doesn't have a "good win" since MSU and PSU are both considered "trash" by the CFP at this point since they both lost to Minnesota, where a 3 loss Arkansas team beat Cincy, lost to Alabama, Texas A&M, and at Auburn which are all quality losses.

10. Northwestern - Minnesota coach PJ Fleck has a lot of respect for Fitz and it's a controlled game where Minnesota wins 31-10 with several backups getting game experience in the 2nd half. Gophers don't move up in the CFP standings because Minnesota isn't really that good until they can prove they can finally beat Iowa, something PJ Fleck has yet to do at Minnesota.

11. Iowa - Minnesota hosts Iowa and wins 42-10. Spencer Petras has 3 intereceptions from trying to throw the ball more than 15 yards downfield. Minnesota is now ranked #7, but may not have the quality wins to make the CFP, as a one loss team if they should make the BTT and lose.

12. Minnesota beats WI as they have done. Minnesota is now ranked #6 because a top 6 team lost and the committee knows they can't have a 2 loss team ahead of Minnesota at this point. ESPN talks all week how the 2nd place SEC West team might pass Minnesota and two other teams to possibly get 3 teams in the CFP if Minnesota loses badly to Ohio State in the CFP.

BTT. Minnesota wins this game 31-27 to make the CFP. Despite being unbeaten, SEC takes the number 1 and #2 spots. Minnesota grabs the #3 ahead of the #4 team who may be a 1 loss OSU team or a one loss Utah team.

No dinks in this thread!! Love the breakdowns, and the 1-loss SEC ranking references 😂

Go This Thread!!

Love the optimism and the "tongue and cheek” acknowledgement to the SEC bias in college football. Hope you are spot on with every prediction. Go Gophers!

at MSU is going to be a very interesting game.

the Gophers will have had 3 non-conf games to figure out the starters and top subs on the OL and DL. Also three games for Mo and Potts to work out the rust, and for Morgan and the WR's to be comfortable in Kirk C's offense.

So at MSU will be the first "real" test. A loss does not end the season, but it makes the path more difficult. A win would be a confidence-builder for the new starters and younger players.

in my book, the season hinges on MSU, PSU, IA and WI. In order to have a shot to win the West, Gophers need to win at least 3 of the 4 games.

but - at Illinois scares me. Gophs have not played well vs Illinois and despite the fact that I despise BB, I think he will make that program more competitive.

but - at Illinois scares me. Gophs have not played well vs Illinois and despite the fact that I despise BB, I think he will make that program more competitive.
Illinois would scare me more if they hadn’t beaten the gophers last year.
Fleck and the OC really good off the bye week historically

Assuming the Gophers play well right out of the chute, I am concerned about the Rutgers game being sandwiched between PSU and Neb. Glad its a home game.

the Gophers will have had 3 non-conf games to figure out the starters and top subs on the OL and DL. Also three games for Mo and Potts to work out the rust, and for Morgan and the WR's to be comfortable in Kirk C's offense.

So at MSU will be the first "real" test. A loss does not end the season, but it makes the path more difficult. A win would be a confidence-builder for the new starters and younger players.

in my book, the season hinges on MSU, PSU, IA and WI. In order to have a shot to win the West, Gophers need to win at least 3 of the 4 games.

I think Minnesota can afford to lose to both Penn State and Michigan State if they're able to beat both Iowa and Wisconsin. Iowa and Wisconsin both have road games against Ohio State, which they likely won't win, and Iowa has a home game against Michigan while Wisconsin goes to East Lansing to play Michigan State, and Iowa and Wisconsin play each other, and one of them has to lose.

If Minnesota beats Iowa and Wisconsin, and Wisconsin beats Iowa, that puts Minnesota at 2-0, Wisconsin at 1-1, and Iowa at 0-2. If you assume that Iowa is out at this point, and you assume Minnesota beats Illinois, Northwestern, and Rutgers, and loses to Penn State, and Wisconsin beats Illinois, Northwestern, and Maryland, and loses to Ohio State, the 3 remaining remaining games for both Minnesota and Wisconsin are Purdue, @Nebraska, and @Michigan State. Minnesota is now at 5-1, Wisconsin at 4-2, with Minnesota having the tiebreaker from the head to head win. From here, Wisconsin needs to win 2 more games than Minnesota does out of Purdue, @Nebraska, and @Michigan State, otherwise they tie and Minnesota goes to Indy. Either Wisconsin goes 3-0 and Minnesota goes 1-2, or Wisconsin goes 2-1 and Minnesota goes 3-0, which gives you a 7-2 Wisconsin and 6-3 Minnesota, or 6-3 Wisconsin and 5-4 Minnesota.

All that to confirm my belief that yes, Minnesota would seem to be in very good shape by just beating Iowa and Wisconsin, even if we lose to Penn State and Michigan State. Only way things get dicey for us in that scenario is if Wisconsin beats Iowa, then also beats Michigan State, Purdue, and Nebraska, while Minnesota drops one against Purdue or Nebraska.

If we split with Iowa and Wisconsin, then beating both Michigan State and Penn State would set us up well, as that would give us a likely 3-0 in East division crossovers, which Iowa and Wisconsin are very likely not getting, with road games vs. Ohio State.

Why should I tell you you're wrong when you're right?

New Mexico State - will be a big win 20+ but I don’t think they cover
Western Illinois - this is the one that will make people nervous when the gophers win by only 14
Colorado - gophers need like 15 points to beat the colorado offense and I think they get them
@ Michigan state - first game that gave me pause…but I think Michigan state was flash in the pan and will be a 6-6 type team this year. Win by 7
Purdue - Purdue just finds ways to lose against MN lately
Bye week
@illinois - easiest win to predict on the schedule. Off a bye week and revenge game
@ penn state - they’re simply an average team as evidenced by their results the last two years.
Rutgers - tough game but I think we win.
@ Nebraska - who will be their coach for this game?
Northwestern - worst power 5 offense (except for colorado)
Iowa - we finally get them
@wisconsin - this game is for the big ten west (unless Purdue sweeps Iowa and Wisconsin) I think MN gets it.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    912.8 KB · Views: 3

I can see us defeating Iowa and Wisconsin. I'm not as confident that we can win at both East Lansing and State College. But if we have ever had the schedule and team to pull off a 12-0 record this is it. Go Gophers!

I'm not going to sweat MSU and PSU yet.

MSU might be an average team this year.
PSU, we don't know either.

If we are a top 5 team, that would make us better than MSU and PSU anyway.

My predictions:
1-We are going to have a lockdown secondary this season, so it is going to be really hard to sustain drives against our defense. Somebody name a QB that can beat us!
2-We are going to have a great running game, which means Morgan should have a great season and our receivers are going to hell to contain.
Bottom line: at least 10 wins with Nebraska and Wisconsin our toughest games. Maybe more if Morgan and the secondary live up to expectations

My predictions:
1-We are going to have a lockdown secondary this season, so it is going to be really hard to sustain drives against our defense. Somebody name a QB that can beat us!
2-We are going to have a great running game, which means Morgan should have a great season and our receivers are going to hell to contain.
Bottom line: at least 10 wins with Nebraska and Wisconsin our toughest games. Maybe more if Morgan and the secondary live up to expectations
I believe WI and IA will be our toughest games.

Michigan State has a Saturday night game in Washington the week before playing the Gophers. They’ll be exhausted and unfocused.

Illinois would scare me more if they hadn’t beaten the gophers last year.
Fleck and the OC really good off the bye week historically
Yeah, and it’s not like we played ok and lost last year. We played horrible and lost a close one. I don’t see the complete collapses of the offense happening this year with KC.

I keep getting 10-2. Losses to Penn State and (sob) Iowa. Otherwise a great season coming up!

with this disclaimer:

no matter what things look like today, the picture can and will change from week to week. One team sustains a key injury. another team gets a key player back from injury. a game is played in bad weather conditions. a contending team has untimely turnovers or penalties.

in short, midway through the season, the conference could look very different than it looks today.

and by the end of the season, everything can change again.

If Minnesota were to win a National Title this year, this is how it would look.

1. New Mexico State - Minnesota unexpected showcases a passing attack and goes non-Vanilla as they trounce NMSU 49-10.

2. Western Illinois - WIU can't do much against this Gophers defense which causes 3 turnovers. Minnesota plays out the second half after a big lead and win 41-3.

3. Colorado - The Gopher defense stifles Colorado again. Colorado OC Mike Stanford has few answers while Kirk C shows what Tanner Morgan can do with sensible passing routes to his TE and WR. Minnesota wins 35-6.

4. @ MSU. A very interesting game as one team who broke through last year faces a team who hopes to break through into a national media darling. MSU is not the same team they were last year, but their defense is still a problem. Minnesota relies on a strong passing game and a timely running game to expose the MSU defense as being what it was last year. Minnesota wins a laugher 42-17. Minnesota is now ranked.

5. Purdue - The popular sleeper pick to win the Big Ten West heads to Minnesota. Minnesota goes more conservative on offense to shorten the game and the Gophers secondary locks down Purdue's passing options. Purdue gets a late TD to make the game look closer than it was, but Minnesota wins 34-24.

BYE

6. @Illinois - The Illini pulled the upset last year and Bert B does his best to shorten the game and keep it to a defensive slug fest. In the Gophers most balanced offensive attack so far, Minnesota wins 38-14.

7. @Penn St. The Gophers are climbing up the ranks unbeated at 6-0 but still are ranked behind 5 SEC teams with 1 loss each. Gophers veteran leadership works through a tough environment and wins controlling the running game on both sides. Minnesota secondary with two Ints. Gophers win 28-13.

8. Rutgers
Gophers after beating Penn State are now ranked 11th behind 3 one-loss SEC teams. Rutgers is scrappy and plays well with Minnesota coming off a big win. Minnesota wins one that appears closer than it is with a 23-17 win. Some 3 loss SEC team pulls an upset over a top 5 SEC team that week and that team leapfrogs Minnesota in the first CFP ranking that comes out since Minnesota didn't pass the "eye-test" against Rutgers.

9. @Nebraka - Gophers defense against comes up big with 2 ints and the Gophers win by 9 after a late TD by Nebraska. Final score is 18-27. Minnesota, still unbeaten is forced to move up the CFP rankings by 2 spots to the top 10. But Minnesota still doesn't have a "good win" since MSU and PSU are both considered "trash" by the CFP at this point since they both lost to Minnesota, where a 3 loss Arkansas team beat Cincy, lost to Alabama, Texas A&M, and at Auburn which are all quality losses.

10. Northwestern - Minnesota coach PJ Fleck has a lot of respect for Fitz and it's a controlled game where Minnesota wins 31-10 with several backups getting game experience in the 2nd half. Gophers don't move up in the CFP standings because Minnesota isn't really that good until they can prove they can finally beat Iowa, something PJ Fleck has yet to do at Minnesota.

11. Iowa - Minnesota hosts Iowa and wins 42-10. Spencer Petras has 3 intereceptions from trying to throw the ball more than 15 yards downfield. Minnesota is now ranked #7, but may not have the quality wins to make the CFP, as a one loss team if they should make the BTT and lose.

12. Minnesota beats WI as they have done. Minnesota is now ranked #6 because a top 6 team lost and the committee knows they can't have a 2 loss team ahead of Minnesota at this point. ESPN talks all week how the 2nd place SEC West team might pass Minnesota and two other teams to possibly get 3 teams in the CFP if Minnesota loses badly to Ohio State in the CFP.

BTT. Minnesota wins this game 31-27 to make the CFP. Despite being unbeaten, SEC takes the number 1 and #2 spots. Minnesota grabs the #3 ahead of the #4 team who may be a 1 loss OSU team or a one loss Utah team.
What a WONDERFUL dream! I hope that it becomes real.

Away Big Ten games are just tough deals, for any team, no matter what. We have five of them, this season.

Tough for me to think that we're going to go to Mich St, Penn St, and Wisc and come out unscathed.

Iowa at home is tough, and maybe so will be Purdue.

In those five games, if we go 3-2 I think that is success. That still sets us up for a 10-2 regular season and potentially berth to conf champ game.

Away Big Ten games are just tough deals, for any team, no matter what. We have five of them, this season.

Tough for me to think that we're going to go to Mich St, Penn St, and Wisc and come out unscathed.

Iowa at home is tough, and maybe so will be Purdue.

In those five games, if we go 3-2 I think that is success. That still sets us up for a 10-2 regular season and potentially berth to conf champ game.
This is definitely the most high-stakes road schedule that PJ has had. MSU will be a big “are they for real?” game for both teams. PSU is guaranteed to be high energy for the whiteout. And it’s not crazy to think that we’ll have another West decider for the Axe game.

To this point, the only “big” road game in recent years that I can think of is Iowa 2019. You could argue Wisconsin 2018, but both teams were pretty mediocre that year. Very interested to see how the team handles this schedule.

Top Bottom