12-Team Playoffs, What's next? Players opting out?

hungan1

Reaction score
NIL is the start of players looking out for what is best for their own interests.

If they implement a 12-team playoff format, potentially some players can end up playing a grueling seventeen-game schedule.

There is potential for serious injury. Are some draft-eligible players going to opt out of the playoffs?

Business decisions and welfare concerns potentially can trump a team's fortune in the playoffs.

Are signing LOIs with teams going to start having two-way conditional clauses?

Just speculating.

Last edited:

Are some draft-eligible players going to opt out of the playoffs?
I know some high profile players already opted out of bowl games. Not sure on the 4 team playoff. Due to NIL, I could see some lucrative opportunities for playoff teams, though. Could possibly help balance the options 🤷‍♂️

Theoretically, a company that signs a player to an endorsement deal could insist on a clause that the player must participate in the entire season - if physically able - or they forfeit some of their earnings.

Of course, the player could refuse to accept the clause, but then they're out of the deal.

Assuming that is legal......

Interesting thoughts hungan1. I wonder if they would have an impact on the future as to expansion of the playoffs. If the "big" boys don't want to play and waters down the caliber of players, then why bother?

Who will benefit the most by expanding the playoff beyond the current four-team playoff?

You are going to get complicated answers as there are different interests - the sports network media, other monied interests, and those who feel the expanded playoff legitimizes the eventual crowned national champion. Member colleges and universities, the conferences, the players themselves. It is going to be complicated, and even pose more conflicts than it solves.

It is truly a Pandora's Box.

Some players will absolutely opt out. Some will try to opt back in if they're team advances. (Like Rashod Bateman changing his mind a few times).

They will be all over the place. Its 20-22 year olds making decisions.

I like it. I've been hoping for a true minor league for football and when the dust settles, whatever is left will be exactly that.

I would expect to see folks sit out MORE FOR NON PLAYOFF GAMES than playoff games.

Honestly, I don't mind that. I wouldn't mind looking at non playoff games as bonus games like bowl games used to be.

Change can be a beautiful thing. With NIL and the twelve-team playoff, the Gophers are a team that can adapt quickly.

I'm all for changes that can advance the chances of the Gophers winning titles.

I'd like to see the U become an attractive alternative destination school for players with NFL aspirations. Will some talent buried deep in the depth charts of tOSU or Bama start to reconsider headlining for a team like the Gophers? A pipe dream that I hope PJ Fleck can change into a pipeline.

We have the right tonic salesman on the job. Ahem, change agent.

Last edited:

Change can be a beautiful thing. With NIL and the twelve-team playoff, the Gophers are a team that can adapt quickly.

I'm all for advancing the chances of the Gophers' winning titles.

I'd like to see the U become an attractive alternative destination school for players with NFL aspirations. A pipe dream that I hope PJ Fleck can change into a pipeline.

We have the right tonic salesman on the job. Ahem, change agent.
None of this will benefit Minnesota and similar program schools. In the end this will change college football and not for the better. Even the handful of power schools will crumble. Watch the deviousness with recruits and boosters explode to the point of some schools just giving up the programs.

None of this will benefit Minnesota and similar program schools. In the end this will change college football and not for the better. Even the handful of power schools will crumble. Watch the deviousness with recruits and boosters explode to the point of some schools just giving up the programs.
Expect the worse and hope for the best.

Welcome to the NIL-Twelve Era.

The NIL ruling mimics other landmark SOTUS rulings that have serious reverberations.

Is anything sacrosanct anymore? Football tradition as we know it as the Big Ten/Pac 12 Rose Bowl matchup is not the same. Let's hope they don't mess around with the Gophers-Iowa-Wisconsin-Michigan trophy games.

Expect the worse and hope for the best.

Welcome to the NIL-Twelve Era.

The NIL ruling mimics other landmark SOTUS rulings that have serious reverberations.

Is anything sacrosanct anymore? Football tradition as we know it as the Big Ten/Pac 12 Rose Bowl matchup is not the same. Let's hope they don't mess around with the Gophers-Iowa-Wisconsin-Michigan trophy games.
Newsflash, the battle for the Little Brown Jug is no longer annual. ☹️

Top Bottom