10 Gophers participating in Pro Day

Rush was a good find/development by this staff. He was committed to a MAC school as a RB, he tested well at a camp and we flipped him as an LB. He started his career here at LB and moved to DE in part (if I remember correctly) because the instincts just weren't great at the position. Starts a couple years for us and tests well enough that he might be drafted. This is a common story at Iowa (under/lightly recruited kids, position switches, impressive athletic testing pre draft) and something I'd hope to see more of here. Howden wasn't a position switch, but another guy who gives you confidence in the staff's ability to develop kids as a former walk on who ends up running 4.49 and jumping 39 inches and will definitely get a shot in the NFL. The more the staff can create stories like these, the more success we will have on the field.

Rush was a good find/development by this staff. He was committed to a MAC school as a RB, he tested well at a camp and we flipped him as an LB. He started his career here at LB and moved to DE in part (if I remember correctly) because the instincts just weren't great at the position. Starts a couple years for us and tests well enough that he might be drafted. This is a common story at Iowa (under/lightly recruited kids, position switches, impressive athletic testing pre draft) and something I'd hope to see more of here. Howden wasn't a position switch, but another guy who gives you confidence in the staff's ability to develop kids as a former walk on who ends up running 4.49 and jumping 39 inches and will definitely get a shot in the NFL. The more the staff can create stories like these, the more success we will have on the field.

Thanks for this information. This is enlightening.

Minnesota will never out-recruit the Ohio States and Michigans of the world. Wisconsin and Iowa represent the best benchmarks for the Gopher football program to follow — and hopefully one day surpass. The maroon and gold are now very close to achieving this.

It takes a keen eye to spot diamonds-in-the-rough and it requires hard work and patience to develop them. The coaches need vision, creative thinking and the ability to think beyond the obvious. The players need to be flexible and willing to embrace change — such as switching positions.

In Rush's case this has produced quite a success story, as EG#9 pointed out.

Last edited:

Top Bottom