10-2 tell me I’m wrong

How many games do gophers win excluding big ten title and/or bowl games

• 5 or fewer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wasn't Colorado ranked at the end of the year last year? I know nothing about their roster or turnover but chalking that one up as a W seems odd. Again, They could have graduated 22 starters for all I know though.
They only played 6 games, maybe they were ranked when they were 4-0, but they got beaten handily in their final two. They do have a good rb. They won a close one vs a solid Stanford team but the other 3 wins weren’t convincing vs three teams that combine for five wins. Their rb ran for over 300 vs Zona, one of the worst P5 teams in the country, and they still struggled to put them away.

I'm committed to pessimism after the disappointment of last season. COVID was obviously a huge factor, but the extremely poor play on D and the regression of the passing game under Sanford was concerning. I think the D will be far better, but still not even 2019 level. O will be top 5 in the conference, but not as explosive without Bateman. I'm going 8-4.
  • Program has proven superiority vs Nebraska, PU, and Illinois, so I'll pick wins over them
  • Wins vs. Miami & BSU
  • Toss-ups with NW, IU, & CU, all on the road. Better program than Maryland, but lost to them just last year (in farcical fashion). I'll pick 3-1 here, but I wouldn't be surprised with 2-2.
  • Haven't proven it vs. Iowa, Wisc, & OSU, so I'll pick 0-3 here. Wouldn't be surprised by 1-2, but my current view is the D & passing game just isn't good enough

They only played 6 games, maybe they were ranked when they were 4-0, but they got beaten handily in their final two. They do have a good rb. They won a close one vs a solid Stanford team but the other 3 wins weren’t convincing vs three teams that combine for five wins. Their rb ran for over 300 vs Zona, one of the worst P5 teams in the country, and they still struggled to put them away.
yep they got up there in the rankings when they were undefeated then got smoked by Utah (were an underdog despite Utah being 1-2) and Texas by 3+ scores.

Ohio State - L; would love to see it happen but I don't think the defense can come up with enough stops. would need the ground and pound to churn a bunch of clock to have a chance

Miami (OH) - W; should be a blowout, stay healthy

@Colorado - W; they do have a mobile QB and a good running game which could make this really interesting if our D doesn't have it together yet. we should move the ball well against them and would expect us to win as their QB isn't the best at ball protection

Bowling green - W

@Purdue - W; I think purdue takes a step back losing Rondale Moore and still having a shitty secondary. hope we win big

Nebraska - W; still have no QB and we've yet to see them field a defense while Frost has been coach

Maryland - W; revenge for last year

@ Northwestern - W; new QB (Johnson looked awful when he's gotten limited time and Hillinski wasn't superb prior to transferring) and what should be a weaker offense. This could be a tight one late given NWs defense but I'm hoping they can assert themselves early and play keep away late

Illinois - W; their QBs still suck, their WRs are gone; their RB is good which helps Bert, but I don't think they have enough horses this year but could be interesting to watch in a few

I think the last 3 make or break the season. Will be in contention for the division heading into this stretch and it's on PJ to figure it out this time. I think we're dropping one of these 3 and then it's going to come down to head-to-head to decide the division between us, Iowa, and WI pending who beats who.

@ Iowa - W; Petras has been up and down and their season probably goes with him; I feel better about our offense late in the season than theirs and think our D has had enough time against some weaker teams to have gotten their shit together by this point. Think we sneak out of Iowa with Floyd

@ Indiana - W? Is this a let down game? Indiana I think will be pretty explosive on offense and their defense has improved immensely. I don't think we match up really well here if Penix comes back as himself. if he's a shell, and we'll know that well before this game, then I like our chances infinitely more

Wisconsin - L; I don't know entirely what to make of the Badgers heading into the season. Mertz was mercurial, Berger seems like he could be good, and their D is always good.

Ohio State - L; would love to see it happen but I don't think the defense can come up with enough stops. would need the ground and pound to churn a bunch of clock to have a chance

Miami (OH) - W; should be a blowout, stay healthy

@Colorado - W; they do have a mobile QB and a good running game which could make this really interesting if our D doesn't have it together yet. we should move the ball well against them and would expect us to win as their QB isn't the best at ball protection

Bowling green - W

@Purdue - W; I think purdue takes a step back losing Rondale Moore and still having a shitty secondary. hope we win big

Nebraska - W; still have no QB and we've yet to see them field a defense while Frost has been coach

Maryland - W; revenge for last year

@ Northwestern - W; new QB (Johnson looked awful when he's gotten limited time and Hillinski wasn't superb prior to transferring) and what should be a weaker offense. This could be a tight one late given NWs defense but I'm hoping they can assert themselves early and play keep away late

Illinois - W; their QBs still suck, their WRs are gone; their RB is good which helps Bert, but I don't think they have enough horses this year but could be interesting to watch in a few

I think the last 3 make or break the season. Will be in contention for the division heading into this stretch and it's on PJ to figure it out this time. I think we're dropping one of these 3 and then it's going to come down to head-to-head to decide the division between us, Iowa, and WI pending who beats who.

@ Iowa - W; Petras has been up and down and their season probably goes with him; I feel better about our offense late in the season than theirs and think our D has had enough time against some weaker teams to have gotten their shit together by this point. Think we sneak out of Iowa with Floyd

@ Indiana - W? Is this a let down game? Indiana I think will be pretty explosive on offense and their defense has improved immensely. I don't think we match up really well here if Penix comes back as himself. if he's a shell, and we'll know that well before this game, then I like our chances infinitely more

Wisconsin - L; I don't know entirely what to make of the Badgers heading into the season. Mertz was mercurial, Berger seems like he could be good, and their D is always good.
Iowa has won six in a row and last Gophs win there was 1993. Love the optimism, though.

I do not think this team has the quality depth to win more than eight games.
I don’t know if we do or we don’t ... but I do know if we do not have quality depth this year we never will under PJ.
We have two senior classes on the same team.

I don’t know if we do or we don’t ... but I do know if we do not have quality depth this year we never will under PJ.
We have two senior classes on the same team.
Every program in America has two senior classes.

That is true to a certain extent but some programs lost quite a few more players and others limited the number of guys they were willing to keep on scholarship.

On the flip side, we barely lost anyone off of last year's team, get some injured and covid opt out guys back, and also brought in a decent number of transfers. We should be one of the deepest, most experienced teams in the country heading into 2021.

Iowa loses Golston, Nixon and Heflin...three starters off d-line...to NFL
Iowa loses three olinemen: Banwart, Cronk, Alaric Jackson to NFL...OL Fenske to Colorado and OL Kallenberger passed on another year
two good WRs, SmithMarsette and Smith gone to NFL...another transfers to NE
te Beyer leaves to NFL
rb Sargent to NFL
lb Niemann was drafted, lb Wade free agent, another lb, Colbert, called it quits
db Brents to KSU
the really good kicker Duncan is done

13 NFL quality players plus three decent transfers is tough to replace

the legendary strength coach is gone due to the racism...lawsuit still hanging over entire program

good oline coach left for an OC job; good rb coach got an NFL job; no Goph coaches left

Iowa recruiting 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021: 39, 41, 35, 24
Minn recruiting 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021: 38, 45, 38, 38 (in 2021, one year we lagged way behind, we brought in seven high end transfers)

no Minnesota team has ever lost to Iowa seven straight years...

Gophs almost had them beat in Iowa City in 2019; will beat them there in 2021

Last edited:

Not completely true (some teams had 9 guys get drafted, some teams had a half dozen not want to play another year, some teams had another half dozen transfer.). We lost very little.
None of it matters, our team is the most experienced team PJ will ever have.

Early Vegas odds have Colorado as 10 of 12 in the PAC.

Iowa loses Golston, Nixon and Heflin...three starters off d-line...to NFL
Iowa loses three olinemen: Banwart, Cronk, Alaric Jackson to NFL...OL Fenske to Colorado and OL Kallenberger passed on another year
two good WRs, SmithMarsette and Smith gone to NFL...another transfers to NE
te Beyer leaves to NFL
rb Sargent to NFL
lb Niemann was drafted, lb Wade free agent, another lb, Colbert, called it quits
db Brents to KSU
the really good kicker Duncan is done

13 NFL quality players plus three decent transfers is tough to replace

the legendary strength coach is gone due to the racism...lawsuit still hanging over entire program

good oline coach left for an OC job; good rb coach got an NFL job; no Goph coaches left

Iowa recruiting 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021: 39, 41, 35, 24
Minn recruiting 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021: 38, 45, 38, 38 (in 2021, one year we lagged way behind, we brought in seven high end transfers)

no Minnesota team has ever lost to Iowa seven straight years...

Gophs almost had them beat in Iowa City in 2019; will beat them there in 2021
Yeah the first half of the Iowa game in 2019 was tough. They came out with a different look on offense and Gophs didn't adjust.

I don't care how many wins it takes...Just expect them to win the division. Feels like now is the time.

Would they beat Indiana?
Would be a pretty even game I think.
indiana isn’t going to be able to stop anyone next year and their offense will take a small step back.

Indiana also managed to beat one team with a winning record last year (Wisconsin)

they were highly overrated last year as evidenced by the at best 7th best team in the SEC in a bowl game

Yeah the first half of the Iowa game in 2019 was tough. They came out with a different look on offense and Gophs didn't adjust.
Who can forget the final nail in the coffin for that game... Fleck running onto the field and drawing the 15 yard penalty?

Who can forget the final nail in the coffin for that game... Fleck running onto the field and drawing the 15 yard penalty?
The penalty was no bueno, but as far as "final nails" go, I'd consider the following more important:
  • The failed 4th down conversion immediately preceding the Fleck penalty...because as you know, his penalty occurred after the play and didn't impact the change of possession.
  • Inability to block Epenesa on the final drive.
  • Morgan getting knocked out on the final drive (due to above).
By the way, you seem very unhappy. Since we know you like football and post on a Gophers board, I recommend finding one of the following games online to watch this weekend and boost your spirits:
  • 2020 vs. Auburn
  • 2019 vs PSU
  • 2018 @ Wisconsin
  • 2018 vs. Georgia Tech
  • 2018 vs. Purdue
  • 2019 vs. Nebraska
  • 2020 @ Nebraska
  • 2020 vs. Purdue

That penalty really had no bearing on the outcome of the game. Though it was stupid.
Maybe we should have kicked a field goal

The next drive iowa started out at the 22 instead of the 7. They ended up punting that series.
There was still a lot of time left in the game. The real nail in the coffin of that game was not being able to block epineza when playing from behind. Should’ve started faster. The team just looked slow in the first half

The penalty was no bueno, but as far as "final nails" go, I'd consider the following more important:
  • The failed 4th down conversion immediately preceding the Fleck penalty...because as you know, his penalty occurred after the play and didn't impact the change of possession.
  • Inability to block Epenesa on the final drive.
  • Morgan getting knocked out on the final drive (due to above).
By the way, you seem very unhappy. Since we know you like football and post on a Gophers board, I recommend finding one of the following games online to watch this weekend and boost your spirits:
  • 2020 vs. Auburn
  • 2019 vs PSU
  • 2018 @ Wisconsin
  • 2018 vs. Georgia Tech
  • 2018 vs. Purdue
  • 2019 vs. Nebraska
  • 2020 @ Nebraska
  • 2020 vs. Purdue
I'm waiting for the day you can add a Gopher victory over Iowa to that on line viewing extravaganza.

1-7 against Wisky and Iowa doesn't cut it

Last edited:

I'm waiting for the day you can add a Gopher victory over Iowa to that on line viewing extravaganza.

1-7 against Wisky and Iowa doesn't cut it
Don’t think anyone would disagree with you. His second best season here is a 7-6 year. If two years from now that’s still his second best season his seat will be very warm.

That penalty really had no bearing on the outcome of the game. Though it was stupid.
Maybe we should have kicked a field goal

The next drive iowa started out at the 22 instead of the 7. They ended up punting that series.
There was still a lot of time left in the game. The real nail in the coffin of that game was not being able to block epineza when playing from behind. Should’ve started faster. The team just looked slow in the first half
The real real nail in the coffin in that game was TJ's dropped pass on 4th down near the end zone (before Fleck's penalty).

The real real nail in the coffin in that game was TJ's dropped pass on 4th down near the end zone (before Fleck's penalty).
That dropped pass was in the 3rd quarter and the team still had multiple drives after that. But yeah, really deflating.

Don’t think anyone would disagree with you. His second best season here is a 7-6 year. If two years from now that’s still his second best season his seat will be very warm.
Welp, 2021 looks like the best chance for the B1G West, too.

But there seems to be several here who don't feel his "seat will be warm" for quite some time.

Welp, 2021 looks like the best chance for the B1G West, too.

But there seems to be several here who don't feel his "seat will be warm" for quite some time.
Yeah but if we got 5-7 each of the next two years they’d change their tune.

I don’t think his seat will be warm because I don’t think they’re going 5-7. But if they fail to be .500 two years in a row his seat certainly would be warm.

I don’t think his seat will ever be warm, that’s different than saying it would never be warm even if we lost a lot.

Top Bottom