#1/1 Gophers vs #7/7 Fighting Hawks

The refs have absolutely lost control of this hockey game based on their calls and no calls.

Lots of game left. Keep skating fast, getting pucks deep, and cycling the damn puck!

Had all the momentum then Pitlick gets hit with a showboating penalty and then all the wheels fell off. Zero defense with a inexperienced backup and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Bad loss tonight. This should not have happened.

Had all the momentum then Pitlick gets hit with a showboating penalty and then all the wheels fell off. Zero defense with a inexperienced backup and you've got a recipe for disaster.
The Pitlick penalty was stupid but did not result in a power play. The wheels fell off after Barto failed to control a puck. I know young players need to see games to grow, but man can’t help but wonder what happens with Close in goal.

1. Need an explanation from Bob on starting Barto tonight.
2. Unacceptable lack of discipline. UND knew they were overmatched and resorted to goonery and our guys fell right into their trap. No reason this shouldn’t have been a 3-4 goal victory.
3. Special teams were a nightmare.

Glass half full - we are way better than UND when we don’t play like morons. On the flip side that makes it that much more frustrating that we couldn’t get the brooms out.

1. Need an explanation from Bob on starting Barto tonight.
2. Unacceptable lack of discipline. UND knew they were overmatched and resorted to goonery and our guys fell right into their trap. No reason this shouldn’t have been a 3-4 goal victory.
3. Special teams were a nightmare.

Glass half full - we are way better than UND when we don’t play like morons. On the flip side that makes it that much more frustrating that we couldn’t get the brooms out.
I’ll add one more positive. Our guys deserve credit for not giving up. Down 2 with UND on a long power play the wheels easily could have come off there but the boys fought hard and owned the third period. Deridder once again made a lot of great saves.

The Pitlick penalty was stupid but did not result in a power play. The wheels fell off after Barto failed to control a puck. I know young players need to see games to grow, but man can’t help but wonder what happens with Close in goal.
I’m ok with mixing in Barto some throughout the year, but not tonight. Among other things that decision likely cost us this game.

I’m ok with mixing in Barto some throughout the year, but not tonight. Among other things that decision likely cost us this game.
I agree. Seems odd this early in the year and against a team this good. Plenty of opponents coming up that aren’t as difficult

I can only guess if he didn’t play tonight he was not gonna play until thanksgiving against Arizona state. Gophers go Ohio state, notre dame, Penn state, Michigan. Not exactly any games you wanna throw Barto into.

Other than Michigan those ARE the games you'd rather have him in.

Gophers are a better team but if they play in a regional UND's home ice advantage will negate that and it would be aboit 50/50 odds. Hopefully avoid that region.

Gophers are a better team but if they play in a regional UND's home ice advantage will negate that and it would be aboit 50/50 odds. Hopefully avoid that region.
If you think this would be an even matchup in a regional you either watched two different teams this weekend or are vastly overstating how much fan presence makes a difference in a regional. If that were the case UND would have more than one tournament win in the last 5 years.

If you think this would be an even matchup in a regional you either watched two different teams this weekend or are vastly overstating how much fan presence makes a difference in a regional. If that were the case UND would have more than one tournament win in the last 5 years.
I definitely watched both games and the Gophers dominated (at home). I'd say you're underestimating fan presence which also boosted the Gophers a bit this weekend. There is so much parity in college hockey that even a heavy favorite in a first round would be like 60/40 win odds. Every time these rivals play it's like 55/45 max on the outcome. So ya, I stand by 50/50 in a one game scenario in an arena full of Whioux fans.

I definitely watched both games and the Gophers dominated (at home). I'd say you're underestimating fan presence which also boosted the Gophers a bit this weekend. There is so much parity in college hockey that even a heavy favorite in a first round would be like 60/40 win odds. Every time these rivals play it's like 55/45 max on the outcome. So ya, I stand by 50/50 in a one game scenario in an arena full of Whioux fans.
Gophers are the much better team, and it isn't close. I mean... just not close. It took A LOT for us to lose that game yesterday. We acted like kindergartners after we took the 2 goal lead. Every bounce went UND's way. We played with a back-up goalie (not sure why but I guess we needed to get him some playing time eventually). If we play this team in the tourney, unless things change drastically between now and then, we'll win by four goals. And I don't care where the game is played.

Penalty kill is currently 70%. Save percentage is currently 89.1%.

These two things must get better quickly.

6-0 in the next six is a realistic goal. 5-1 at a minimum. Worse than that is just meh.

I was baffled at Brodzinski being out there for the 3v3. 3v3 is a puck possession game and you have to be able to exploit favorable matchups one on one, neither of which is a strength of Brodz. I'd rather have Pitlick or Huglen out there. Plus, he let his man get behind him and to the net and then just stood in the crease while his man got the rebound goal. I hope that was his last time being out there for 3v3.

Yup...

I wish he had transferred to SCSU given his family connections and we kept Cruikshank who has 6+3 in 6 games for them. Maybe he could have found something in their system.

So why is tossing your stick into the stands a 10 minute game misconduct? Is that specifically in the rule book or it is refs whim?

So why is tossing your stick into the stands a 10 minute game misconduct? Is that specifically in the rule book or it is refs whim?
I don't know the official rule, but I believe refs have the discretion to make that call. I don't mind the call, idiotic move by Pitlick who otherwise had a fantastic weekend.

I don't know the official rule, but I believe refs have the discretion to make that call. I don't mind the call, idiotic move by Pitlick who otherwise had a fantastic weekend.
For them to call that they sure let a lot of other things go. I still have no idea how the big hit on Knies in one of my previous posts was not a boarding call w specially in the world of 2022 that we live in. The let North Dakota continually come into the crease late and jab or spear the goalie all weekend. Not to mention that North Dakota challenges the face masking call after the dust up with Knies. They kick out Cooley, but you can clearly see a ND player doing the same thing to Knies.

For them to call that they sure let a lot of other things go. I still have no idea how the big hit on Knies in one of my previous posts was not a boarding call w specially in the world of 2022 that we live in. The let North Dakota continually come into the crease late and jab or spear the goalie all weekend. Not to mention that North Dakota challenges the face masking call after the dust up with Knies. They kick out Cooley, but you can clearly see a ND player doing the same thing to Knies.
Yeah I think pretty much everything called on us was fair, but they could have called a lot more on UND. So be it. Our guys needed to be more disciplined. Sucks that we pretty much gave away a game against UND but I hope it is a learning experience. This team can be special if they play smart.

It's in the book.
Thanks - I wasn't sure if such an unusual scenario was covered, but I was pretty sure there's something related to delaying the game, etc. Either way an inexcusable decision by Pitlick.

He tried to emulate Hughes and Zegras the only thing was those were OT game winners not in the middle of the second period. I think Zegras also got a game misconduct.

Top Bottom