#1/1 Gophers vs #7/7 Fighting Hawks

Nice to see the stadium filling up again. I went to a game a couple years ago. Badgers vs gophers and there was maybe 6000 people at best. Kind of sad in such a great venue. Looks like it’s been a little better the last year or so and hopefully that continues. Gophers look to have a big year and that always draws fans.

Anyway, to the topic at hand. I said in another thread and will say it again. We are the better team, and a sweep is a reasonable expectation. A split is acceptable albeit disappointing. UND is sloppy on the back end and Cooley/Knies/Snuggerud/Pitlick/Huglen should be able to exploit that. They have some high flying forwards but if our D plays the way they can, we can contain them. Need the good version of Close this weekend as well. Let's send those hillbillies back to GF disappointed.
I can think of a lot names when referring to the Grand Forks UND fans and "hillbillies" is not one of them. Do they even have a hill in the entire state? I think I could stand on a beer can in Bismarck and see all four borders.

I can think of a lot names when referring to the Grand Forks UND fans and "hillbillies" is not one of them. Do they even have a hill in the entire state? I think I could stand on a beer can in Bismarck and see all four borders.
Good point. I guess I was associating trashy with hillbilly but you’re right that’s technically not a good use of the word.

Moron Whioux fans on SS thinking this show is referring to the Sioux when they are talking about the Soo aka Sault St. Marie in this clip... Handful of brain cells to go around in that fanbase.

Man the gophers are bad on odd man rushes. I think they have had 6 of them tonight and I don’t believe any of them have resulted in a shot on goal.

Man, my voice is shot.
The gophers kept getting behind the North Dakota D and then nothing would happen. Pitlick seemed to have several chances to create havoc and then didn't. But they kept the pressure on and the ending was to remember.

Just got home from the game. Fun evening of hockey.

For the NCAA/Pairwise does this count as a full win for the Gophers? Not sure how 3x3 is treated.

Just got home from the game. Fun evening of hockey.

For the NCAA/Pairwise does this count as a full win for the Gophers? Not sure how 3x3 is treated.
Not a full win. 67/33 split, so 2/3 of a win.
100% bragging rights over UND though

I didn't see the game last night and won't be able to tonight, either. Just curious about who looked like the better team? Scores and stats can be misleading.

We are by far the faster and more skilled and just overall more talented team. UND did a good job of playing the more disciplined game for the first half or so of last nights game to their credit. They also have better goaltending than us IMO.

We are by far the faster and more skilled and just overall more talented team. UND did a good job of playing the more disciplined game for the first half or so of last nights game to their credit. They also have better goaltending than us IMO.
Not sure you can judge the goaltending based on last night. The two goals that Close gave up were not on him. Yes DeRitter played very well, but North Dakota also played very structured in front of him forcing long shots. Plus the gophers always over passed when they had opportunities to shot inside the circles.

Not sure you can judge the goaltending based on last night. The two goals that Close gave up were not on him. Yes DeRitter played very well, but North Dakota also played very structured in front of him forcing long shots. Plus the gophers always over passed when they had opportunities to shot inside the circles.
I’m not just basing off of last night. Close is a fine goaltender if we limit the amount of high quality chances we give up, but if I want a guy to steal a game for me, give me Deridder over Close. Every other facet of the game we are on another level compared to the Hawks though.

That was one of the best games I can remember attending in a looooooonng time. Nothing will ever replace those WCHA rivalries. I'd say outside of students it was about 65/35 or 60/40 Gopher fans. The UND shoots twice end was heavy black and green.

Gophers looked like the better team for sure. UND forwards are dangerous, but UND's D looked shaky. Goaltending I'd give the edge to UND cuz DeRidder is solid with so much experience. But I don't think he can have another game like that tonight.

Special teams needs to be better. If those get going the Gophers are going to roll through most of the Big Ten schedule.

That was one of the best games I can remember attending in a looooooonng time. Nothing will ever replace those WCHA rivalries. I'd say outside of students it was about 65/35 or 60/40 Gopher fans. The UND shoots twice end was heavy black and green.

Gophers looked like the better team for sure. UND forwards are dangerous, but UND's D looked shaky. Goaltending I'd give the edge to UND cuz DeRidder is solid with so much experience. But I don't think he can have another game like that tonight.

Special teams needs to be better. If those get going the Gophers are going to roll through most of the Big Ten schedule.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts - though I unfortunately was relegated to watching from my couch. Power play was frustrating to watch - hoping with the insane amount of talent on that top unit we can get that rolling by about thanksgiving time.

PS I’m surprised nobody has mentioned how unstoppable we would be with Broz and the Lucius brothers + Cruikshank

I’m not just basing off of last night. Close is a fine goaltender if we limit the amount of high quality chances we give up, but if I want a guy to steal a game for me, give me Deridder over Close. Every other facet of the game we are on another level compared to the Hawks though.
Deridder just gave up 3 goals on 7 shots and was pulled after the first period last weekend. How many goalies in college can steal a game? Deridder was ok last night but as I mentioned the North Dakota D did a wonderful job of keeping the slot clean and forcing long shots on goal. Plus the gophers did as the gophers tend to do and pass too much for the beautiful play.

What has close done to not have your faith in him? Close had a 1.95 goals against and a 925 save percentage in the 21 games he played last year. For comparison Dryden McKay had a 1.31 and 930 while winning the Hobey last year in 38 games. Justin close is very good college goalie with a great defense in front of him.

Deridder just gave up 3 goals on 7 shots and was pulled after the first period last weekend. How many goalies in college can steal a game? Deridder was ok last night but as I mentioned the North Dakota D did a wonderful job of keeping the slot clean and forcing long shots on goal. Plus the gophers did as the gophers tend to do and pass too much for the beautiful play.

What has close done to not have your faith in him? Close had a 1.95 goals against and a 925 save percentage in the 21 games he played last year. For comparison Dryden McKay had a 1.31 and 930 while winning the Hobey last year in 38 games. Justin close is very good college goalie with a great defense in front of him.
I’m not looking to bash Close. He’s a competent goaltender. He has however been prone to disappointing goals against. He was terrible against MSU in the frozen four last year and nearly cost us the game against Umass with a weak goal. We absolutely can win with him but he needs a lot of support. I could end up being wrong about Deridder, time will tell.

I’m not looking to bash Close. He’s a competent goaltender. He has however been prone to disappointing goals against. He was terrible against MSU in the frozen four last year and nearly cost us the game against Umass with a weak goal. We absolutely can win with him but he needs a lot of support. I could end up being wrong about Deridder, time will tell.

Well Barto is in goal tonight. There was not 1 good player on the gopher team against MSU in the semifinals last year.

Well Barto is in goal tonight. There was not 1 good player on the gopher team against MSU in the semifinals last year.
Boy I hope Barto’s game against Lindenwood was a fluke. I didn’t think we’d see much of him after that one.

For all the hype of Logan Cooley the way he fights and initiates contact is impressive for a freshman and a player of his size. He’s definitely not a cake eater from an E school.

Boarding in Hockey is a hit on a defenseless player that causes them to go dangerously into the boards. This will include checking, or tripping, an opposing player into the boards.
Actions That Cause Boarding Penalties
  • Back turned away from the play.
  • No longer has the puck.
  • Hitter has no intentions of playing the puck.
Tell me how the first hit is not boarding.

Top Bottom