0-1 How feel you?

Well the defense has a lot of film to look at. And lots to try and correct. Pretty disappointed how badly we were hammered.
The two teams were playing at Different speeds. The gophers would’ve needed all the bounces to win yesterday.

Maryland will not be a pushover, but we should win. Forget about Wisconsin and Nebraska. Looks like 4-4 going into the final crossover game. Northwestern looking good again.
a91f50b3e42ba46bd68021e4531b7d76.jpg

The season can still be salvaged.
Win out.
Or at least beat WI.
Or at least get all of the new defensive blood good experience for next year.
(We'll need a replaced WR for Bateman of course).

Not that PJ would release this, but I wonder how many players/coaches tested positive for Covid this week. The Big Ten policy is if either team’s positivity rate is greater than 5% and its population — including coaches and on-field staff — is greater than 7.5%, the game will be canceled and considered a no contest. I would imagine we were close.

Talked to a friend who was at the game. He said both of our normal kickers kicked in pre-game but both are under B1G Covid mandates of 20 days. Unbelievable that Czar Warren and his merry band followers say 20 days. Maybe they should check with other medical experts (like the CDC) who recommends only 10 days. But then I think this season was designed to fail.

So many missed opportunities.

At a minimum, you look at:
- should've scored a TD on the second drive. Mo got in the endzone, but called back because of a penalty. Then we couldn't get back in.
- should've scored a TD in the 2nd half (forget which drive). We got close, but couldn't put it in from like 4yrd out
- couple fumbles, where we maybe coulda/shoula recovered it

Honestly I didn't expect to win out of the shoot against Michigan without non-conference games and replacing so many steady starters on defense. People are too down after this one, things are not as bad as they may seem. We are replacing essentially the entire front 7 of the defense, this doesn't happen over night.
That and Michigan had a lot of starters back on a good defense and that #23 is an absolute beast for them. I knew he was good but damn that dude was disruptive and an explosive player. This was the first time where we took our lumps against Michigan and we didn't get absolutely destroyed athletically. I didn't notice enormous gaps or lapses in speed or size. I know this is going to sound dumb, but we look the part on defense athletically, size and speed wise, but clearly lack experience playing together. Team defense is hard without a lot of experience playing together. Nubin will learn from Howden he just needs poise. I like Nubin he just needs to be a little more aggressive and let his athletic ability take over. The only thing I would do differently at defensive end is I would switch up Otoemowo and Mafe depending on match-ups try to get Mafe speed up against the opponents slowest tackle which is usually the right tackle. To me the Gophers started to lack gap discipline after the Charbonet long run for a touchdown, they started to lose containment outside because people were trying to step around blocks instead of staying in there gaps. Have to maintain gap discipline to have any shot. Defensive tackles have to do a better job of holding up the line of scrimmage so that the linebackers can make plays.
Next time the punting situation is this bad we should just go for it on fourth down instead of the fake punts, that is the only thing I would have done differently on that. I like where the program is headed, this is not the same old Gophers, we have good athletes and will learn to win. Have to take on blocks and funnel and tackle better on D.Things wil get better, just glad to have football back.Row the boat
, SKI U MAH, and Go Gophers.
PS Got far too many tow the boat and snarky comments this morning, people that know little about football but expected both the Vikings and Gophers to be automatically good.

Last edited:

Honestly I didn't expect to win out of the shoot against Michigan without non-conference games and replacing so many steady starters on defense. People are too down after this one, things are not as bad as they may seem. We are replacing essentially the entire front 7 of the defense, this doesn't happen over night.
That and Michigan had a lot of starters back on a good defense and that #23 is an absolute beast for them. I knew he was good but damn that dude was disruptive and an explosive player. This was the first time where we took our lumps against Michigan and we didn't get absolutely destroyed athletically. I didn't notice enormous gaps or lapses in speed or size. I know this is going to sound dumb, but we look the part on defense athletically, size and speed wise, but clearly lack experience playing together. Team defense is hard without a lot of experience playing together. Nubin will learn from Howden he just needs poise. I like Nubin he just needs to be a little more aggressive and let his athletic ability take over. The only thing I would do differently at defensive end is I would switch up Otoemowo and Mafe depending on match-ups try to get Mafe speed up against the opponents slowest tackle which is usually the right tackle. To me the Gophers started to lack gap discipline after the Charbonet long run for a touchdown, they started to lose containment outside because people were trying to step around blocks instead of staying in there gaps. Have to maintain gap discipline to have any shot. Defensive tackles have to do a better job of holding up the line of scrimmage so that the linebackers can make plays.
Next time the punting situation is this bad we should just go for it on fourth down instead of the fake punts, that is the only thing I would have done differently on that. I like where the program is headed, this is not the same old Gophers, we have good athletes and will learn to win. Have to take on blocks and funnel and tackle better on D.Things wil get better, just glad to have football back.Row the boad, SKI U MAH, and Go Gophers.
The DL starters all played last year, quite a bit. But overall agree with you a lot.

Would be very interesting if it ends up being a rematch for the cross-over game.

like I said in a different thread -

Just remember that on 10/24/2020 the Wolverines had a better offense and defense than the Gophers did on this date. THATS ONE GAME!

**That is one game out of your season & that is not to say that if you played the Wolverines 4 games into the season the Gophers could not have won. Just one game out of the others in your season.

*You have the coaching staff that CAN correct the mistakes from yesterday. Many say that a team makes the most progress between the first and second games & that's what I'm hoping for the Gophers football team.
KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!

GSUsTALON

Top Bottom