🏒 🏒 🏒 HOCKEY 🏒 🏒 🏒

That BS high stick call cost the Gophers the game. I will admit Quinnie owned the 3rd period. You aren’t gonna win a championship with 2 shots on goal in an entire period. But that should have ever been called.

Played like the gophers do against Iowa, afraid to make a mistake. With that modest you make more mistakes and you lose anyways.

Playing to beat a team at their own game is not a great game plan.
No one ever quipped, “Fortune favors the meek.”

Played like the gophers do against Iowa, afraid to make a mistake. With that modest you make more mistakes and you lose anyways.

Playing to beat a team at their own game is not a great game plan.
You realize Michigan lost the other day doing exactly what you are saying we should have done. It's exactly what Quinnipiac wants you to do.

Total choke, sorry
Lol. #1 losing in OT to #2 is not a choke. Disappointing but some of you are acting like it should have been an easy win. That was a really entertaining game between two really talented teams.

unfortunately we weren’t able to get it done. But it wasn’t a choke job in any way shape or form.

Lol. #1 losing in OT to #2 is not a choke. Disappointing but some of you are acting like it should have been an easy win. That was a really entertaining game between two really talented teams.

unfortunately we weren’t able to get it done. But it wasn’t a choke job in any way shape or form.
It's an esophageal obstruction caused by a puck.

Not a choke that they lost, it was a choke job because of how they lost. They had a lead and were scared to lose so they played conservatively and spent the entire third period unable to get out of their own zone. They had a heck of a season and were a fun team to watch but when they needed to step up in the third their play was literally unrecognizable from anything they showed this entire season

The Gophers demonstrated last night that it's very hard to play ice hockey with both hands wrapped firmly around one's own neck.

Classic play not to lose.
Glen and PJ would be proud.
Agree with the first sentence. Mostly agree with the second sentence. Although PJ is conservative, Mason repeatedly lost games with atrociously conservative playcalling. I don't think that PJ should be paired with Mason on the error of "playing not to lose," yet.

You realize Michigan lost the other day doing exactly what you are saying we should have done. It's exactly what Quinnipiac wants you to do.
Michigan lost because their fat and tall goalie couldn’t stop the puck. He let in two goals that banked off from behind him and a goal from the half boards that a pee-wee goalie catches.

Both Q goals were soft. But we didn't lose because of Close.

Our forwards completely disappeared for 20 minutes. Not sure I've seen anything like it.
At what point does Quinnipiac get some credit for that? We know our forwards are really talented, and yet they couldn't get anything going against a team that is regarded as one of the best defensive teams in college hockey. And it wasn't just in the 3rd period, they had us bottled up all game.

I mean good lord, they went 33-4-3 and gave up 5 goals in 4 NCAA tournament games, 3 of those against Big Ten teams and 2 of them against the top 2 Big Ten teams this season.

It sucks that we lost but it isn't like we lost to some crap team....

I would describe Q's first 2 goals as soft....or at least shots that should have been saved.
The second goal was not great as close was playing for a tip by the guy in front that never came and he opened up the the 5 hole. The first and second goals were not soft.

At what point does Quinnipiac get some credit for that? We know our forwards are really talented, and yet they couldn't get anything going against a team that is regarded as one of the best defensive teams in college hockey. And it wasn't just in the 3rd period, they had us bottled up all game.

I mean good lord, they went 33-4-3 and gave up 5 goals in 4 NCAA tournament games, 3 of those against Big Ten teams and 2 of them against the top 2 Big Ten teams this season.

It sucks that we lost but it isn't like we lost to some crap team....
Prove where anyone said Q is a crap team.

Prove where anyone said Q is a crap team.
Didn't say anyone called them a crap team but there are multiple posts in this thread acting like the loss is all on the Gophers.

Choke Job
Playing Meekly
Playing not to lose
Hands wrapped firmly around necks

Quinnipiac is a hell of a team and they outplayed the Gophers for the vast majority of that game even though they were trailing for much of the time. If Close doesn't have a phenomenal game the final score could easily have been much more in their favor.

We were also exhausted in the third period.

Nobody is saying Q didn't deserve to win.

The second goal was not great as close was playing for a tip by the guy in front that never came and he opened up the the 5 hole. The first and second goals were not soft.
Second goal went 5 hole with no tip......1st goal he let the pass come right across the crease without just using the stick to knock it away. 3rd goal he had no chance.

PRIDE ON ICE!!

John Mayasich in attendance. Pushing 90 and still supports the Gophers
Mayasich, Campbell, Dougherty, Yackel - maybe greatest team ever, lost in '54 to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, as little known as Quinnipiac today.

Mayasich, Campbell, Dougherty, Yackel - maybe greatest team ever, lost in '54 to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, as little known as Quinnipiac today.
It's hockey. Weird stuff can happen. Even in NHL playoffs where it's best of 7. People need to relax. It was a huge bummer to lose but still a wonderful season to watch.

Michigan lost because their fat and tall goalie couldn’t stop the puck. He let in two goals that banked off from behind him and a goal from the half boards that a pee-wee goalie catches.
The score for the Michigan game, if you watched, was very misleading as their goalie had a rough outing no doubt.

Quinnipiac's goalie didn't make any mistakes and saved all chances he should have... can't say that about Michigan or Minnesota unfortunately.

I disagree; the first goal Close stayed too far back in the net and allowed the pass to go right past him to the player who guided the puck into the net. Close could have actually used his stick to knock it away or played the puck with his pads but he stayed too far back into the crease and net and allowed the play to come at him rather than aggressively fending off the play. He wasn't prepared for the pass and frankly should have anticipated the play.

Nice pass and steer in on Quinnipiac's part, but was a misplay on Close's part.

It was a great season by the team.

I’m happy Quinip… whatever that is got their first championship.

I will say I’m really disappointed by some online “fans”. The amount of vitriol directed at the team and staff makes me think some people need to quit being fans if that’s their response.

It was a great season by the team.

I’m happy Quinip… whatever that is got their first championship.

I will say I’m really disappointed by some online “fans”. The amount of vitriol directed at the team and staff makes me think some people need to quit being fans if that’s their response.

Silly. Fans are just disappointed in another Minnesota big game loss. It's been happening for decades to all major MN sports teams
#LoservilleUSA

Silly. Fans are just disappointed in another Minnesota big game loss. It's been happening for decades to all major MN sports teams
#LoservilleUSA
Sorry but I don't put this one in with things like early playoff exits by the pro teams or disappointing seasons that fall short of expectations.

They got to the National Championship game and lost a hard fought game against another really good team. I get the disappointment but some are going over the top with it.

Top Bottom