“Most disappointing season in my time being a fan…” may be the saddest display of expectations induced GROUP depression recorded when rowing…

Win the Big Ten West once in my lifetime. You are correct, totally unrealistic - even with all of the experience and depth and facilities and competitive coach contracts.
How long will your lifetime be? “… it ain’t over until it’s over…” perhaps this year isn’t the last year that this coach, this team, this program has a chance to win the Big Ten West for you. Perhaps the sun will come up tomorrow… or for a season In the future. Heck, maybe the Holy Grail lies just around the corner for all of us. Hope so!

Beat Indiana, Gopher!

Last edited:

Wren/Walrus -

I would make the case that a lot of the expectations were realistic. This team did have the potential to win the West Division. yes, injuries played a role and some players have not played as well as expected, but the initial expectations were valid. and except for Ohio State, every loss this season has been in a game where the Gophers had opportunities to win.

this team was close to being a 1-loss team going into the final two weeks.

Now, as to why the team did not meet those expectations, that is a much different and longer discussion.

but the initial expectations were valid, and it's understandable that fans are disappointed that the team did not live up to those expectations.

the only way to avoid being disappointed is to go into every season thinking "we're going to suck again this year."
That’s the problem in Big Ten Football. Most times expectations for something like football are fatally flawed by our own assumptions and personal bias about our players or other teams players.

For crying out loud, S.O.N., it’s easy to make assumptions and have expectations about Ohio State. But not quite so easy about Michigan any more. How about Indiana based upon last season’ s outcomes for them?

Maybe the team is like Purdue, or Illinois, or Iowa or even Wisconsin? MAYBE like Nebraska? They have had a chance to beat most of the teams they have played this year…even Oklahoma.

And why are fans acting SO completely whipped, whomped and full of self-pity?

Can’t fans make adjustments from their expectations once the games start?

Hell, there are two BT games left! It is time for to get off their dream world expectations for the 2021 season and to cheer their team on to the best possible outcome in the BT west in November of 2021. It is time for positive realism acceptance that too much expectation can lead to self- pity and passive/aggressive message board activity.

The bottom line: when a person sees that his/her expectations are not happening, either adjust expectations or settle into a hissy fit state of mind and start putting all the blame on the qb or offense or something else that the fan doesn’t have real and confirmed information about. How does that help anything?

Right now: I just want the Gopher Team to beat Indiana! And I feel like that would be a great thing!

Last edited:

Just recalled part of my expectations got molded very late in all this with our very brief flirtation with the CFP ranking at #20. Fun while that lasted too...

I think many of us have a deep love for Floyd and just want to see The Pig in the Trophy Case instead of IC.

Winning this one was not a pipe dream before the game, and certainly was within reach during it. The frustration has been building and the dam broke last Saturday.

In the greater scheme of football things, yes, overreaction. On the micro-scale this one is a real test.

Next step to recovery is beating Indiana. Not a given with this team.
Floyd The Pig is much beloved. Not the flying pigs.

BS. Putting a lot of blame for the BG and Illinois loses on the coaches is fair. The players pissed away the Iowa game. They were in position to make plays and didn't, that isn't the coaches fault.

The bottom line though is that it is never just the coaches fault or just the players fault. When the team loses there is plenty of blame to go around.
There is a larger issue that has pervaded much of the season. How could we get to a point where we do not have a competent passing game? Not even an average passing game? How could the quarterback, wide receivers, and scheme all be beneath even average?

This kind of ineptitude comes from the top.

2 dropped INTs, missed tackle in the backfield with the player wrapped up for a loss that led to a TD, dropped passes and overthrows on offense....

The players didn't make the plays needed to win that game. In all those cases they were in position to make the play and didn't....it happens....but yeah the players are primarily to blame for the Iowa loss.

I didn't like the long field goal try, but that isn't what lost the game. The plays were there to be made, they just weren't. And those players would be the first to admit they didn't get it done on the field.

It is just lazy to try and blame the coaches for everything. They obviously share in the blame, but the players have to make the plays and our guys didn't on Saturday.
Not two missed interceptions. One play was makeable. Sori Marin was too close to the QB to adjust his hands to a hard ball. To catch that would have been a really exceptional play.

Feel pretty confident that if we polled the board there would be more people who see things closer to the way I do then the way you do. Have never once said the coaches are blameless, just that they aren't fully to blame, the players share in it and in the case of Iowa the players deserve a large portion of it.

But yeah I agree that we aren't going to agree so may as well not waste more board space with a pointless argument. We do agree that we are will hopefully be discussing a victory after the Indiana game though I doubt you will be doing much of the discussing if things go well for the team.
On balance the players performed very well all season. The offensive direction from coaches was far beneath the players performance and, more importantly the players potential, which was a 10 or 11 win regular season.

Top Bottom