‘Take Floyd … leave timeouts.’ Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz comments fuel Gophers rivalry

Gimmicks and flash won't work at a school like Minnesota.

Eventually, we'll learn that hard truth. The best we're going to be able to do, consistently, is to mimic what Iowa and Wisconsin are. No nonsense, no bulls__t, hardnosed linemen, run the ball, pro-style offense, play great run defense, basic workmen "culture", do your job and shut your mouth.

Give me that right now. I don't think PJ has that in his veins, that's now how he's built.
What are you talking about? PJ is one of the most conservative football coaches out there.

What “gimmicks and flash” are you talking about?

PJ is a great curiosity. Bravado and new school thinking when it comes to recruiting and running the program, yet conservative to the core when it comes to offensive philosophy and game management.

It is tiresome the way that being a “rational objective observer” often seems to mean being harshly critical of our own coaches and programs while kissing the feet of our rivals.

I guess I didn’t realize that a losing team trying to score at the end of the game was like a petty, egotistical, and unsporting thing to do, especially to avoid getting shut out. I kinda thought that happened all the time. I really don’t have an issue with it. Didn’t Wisconsin score a garbage time touchdown against us in 2018 after the game was decided? Was that an idiotic and egotistical decision from Chryst? Did he have starters in? I honestly don’t remember.

I also agree with stocker that there was no competitive advantage given to Iowa by calling 3 consecutive timeouts on one play, and it was done to taunt Fleck, and I’m not clutching my pearls at that either.

What are you talking about? PJ is one of the most conservative football coaches out there.

PJ is a great curiosity. Bravado and new school thinking when it comes to recruiting and running the program, yet conservative to the core when it comes to offensive philosophy and game management.

I think when we're losing it really susses out what fans are paying attention ... at all.

So you just admitted that he's at the fringe, in all things not play calls (in a basic sense). Thanks for proving my point, as I was talking about that too.

And then our offense does that dumbass "look at the sidelines" gimmick, which also what I was talking about. See Iowa or Wisconsin doing that? Nope.

Know something first, before you backtalk.

It is tiresome the way that being a “rational objective observer” often seems to mean being harshly critical of our own coaches and programs while kissing the feet of our rivals.

I guess I didn’t realize that a losing team trying to score at the end of the game was like a petty, egotistical, and unsporting thing to do, especially to avoid getting shut out. I kinda thought that happened all the time. I really don’t have an issue with it. Didn’t Wisconsin score a garbage time touchdown against us in 2018 after the game was decided? Was that an idiotic and egotistical decision from Chryst? Did he have starters in? I honestly don’t remember.

I also agree with stocker that there was no competitive advantage given to Iowa by calling 3 consecutive timeouts on one play, and it was done to taunt Fleck, and I’m not clutching my pearls at that either.
Bolded: then maybe you should be beating our rivals, if your fancy new way is so much better than a classic style???

I don't know, that's just me.

Maybe it does....maybe it doesn't. But an extra touchdown in a short year looks better on a stat line. There's really no disputing that.

No....you don't get fractional wins. But it's a bad look to get shut out by one of your two biggest rivals on your home field. And if you don't think Ferentz was looking forward to having that ammo.....then I think that you can also agree that he overreacted over nothing.
News for youl....NFL doesn't draft due to stat lines--they draft on perceived talent. They watch an entire career's worth of plays over and over and over and over. Also, if Rashad gets hurt playing in meaningless time, what happens to all those future recruits you're concerned about? I'll tell you what happens,
1. That would likely drop Rashad's all-important draft stock.
2. Ferentz and all the other coaches in the country sell the narrative that PJ doesn't care about you by citing that example.

There was nothing to be gained by scoring with starters in; however, there were risks!

I'm not surprised to see you butthurt about something that apparently means nothing to you.

Stopping a shutout against one of our two biggest rivals at home isn't nothing. Maybe it is to you....but you've proven to be someone with an opinion that doesn't matter.

As for the TOs.....was there a competitive advantage to be gained by taking them? Maybe in your world. But I never claimed to care.....so I'm not sure why you are dragging them in here for any other reason but to muddy the waters of your own stupid argument.

You have a complete inability to follow a thread of logic. It's actually quite a remarkable anti-skill of yours. The TD meant nothing. The Gophers keeping the starters in at the end of the game means something to me, I think it was a bad decision. So it means that much to me, I suppose. The TD though, it means absolutely nothing.

Stopping a shutout against one of our biggest rivals by scoring a desperation a garbage time TD means absolutely nothing. It's the equivalent of taking a 1 yard loss while taking a knee to end the game.

As far as the TOs, what in the world are you talking about a competitive advantage? The competition was over. They won. I don't care that they took the TOs. As far as you not caring that he took the TOs, you're lying. You just liked a post by another poster saying that it made Ferentz look bad by taking them. So you care enough to have an opinion (which is really about all any of us care about this situation).

So you just admitted that he's at the fringe, in all things not play calls (in a basic sense). Thanks for proving my point, as I was talking about that too.

And then our offense does that dumbass "look at the sidelines" gimmick, which also what I was talking about. See Iowa or Wisconsin doing that? Nope.

Know something first, before you backtalk.
Know something before I back talk? Ok big guy.

I was responding to a post where you are asking Minnesota to be “no nonsense” and to “run the ball”. That is exactly what PJ wants to do. He loves 10 minute drives more than Mike fing Zimmer.

now...Maybe you don’t like PJ’s persona, but he is actually attempting to do exactly what you want. Establish a culture and play “hard-nosed” football. Is it “pro style”? No. Should it be just because that is what Iowa and Wisconsin do? No.

Just because he goes about it differently rubs some the wrong way.

We were 11-2 last year, I am willing to give the guy some rope on the recruiting and player development side. He does need to be better with game management, timeout usage and willingness to play backups when games are decided.

You have a complete inability to follow a thread of logic. It's actually quite a remarkable anti-skill of yours. The TD meant nothing. The Gophers keeping the starters in at the end of the game means something to me, I think it was a bad decision. So it means that much to me, I suppose. The TD though, it means absolutely nothing.

Stopping a shutout against one of our biggest rivals by scoring a desperation a garbage time TD means absolutely nothing. It's the equivalent of taking a 1 yard loss while taking a knee to end the game.

As far as the TOs, what in the world are you talking about a competitive advantage? The competition was over. They won. I don't care that they took the TOs. As far as you not caring that he took the TOs, you're lying. You just liked a post by another poster saying that it made Ferentz look bad by taking them. So you care enough to have an opinion (which is really about all any of us care about this situation).

The Touchdown was worth 6 points (plus 1 for the extra point).

I bet he has heard what PJ is telling recruits and he felt like a f you was in order. I think its great fuel for the rivalry.

Yeah, I thought the same...he's not making much sense in this post. Wait, nevermind, that's most his posts.

I think having a fit about your opponent still playing when there is nearly seven minutes left in the game isn't a great look. But I could care less about it.

Still not sure why you are throwing such a tantrum about it though. Have a juice or something.

Know something before I back talk? Ok big guy.

I was responding to a post where you are asking Minnesota to be “no nonsense” and to “run the ball”. That is exactly what PJ wants to do. He loves 10 minute drives more than Mike fing Zimmer.

now...Maybe you don’t like PJ’s persona, but he is actually attempting to do exactly what you want. Establish a culture and play “hard-nosed” football. Is it “pro style”? No. Should it be just because that is what Iowa and Wisconsin do? No.

Just because he goes about it differently rubs some the wrong way.

We were 11-2 last year, I am willing to give the guy some rope on the recruiting and player development side. He does need to be better with game management, timeout usage and willingness to play backups when games are decided.
If you actually want to run the ball, you have a true fullback and use him at least some amount of the time. Wisconsin does this well, so do the Vikings.

We don't have that position our roster. Motioning a TE back there isn't at all the same thing. Completely different mentality to have a 6'6" guy trying to get under a 5'10" LB.

Should it be just because that is what Iowa and Wisconsin do? No.

Has he beaten Iowa and Wisc much? No. Seems like they've figured something out that works well, for our region of the country.

Losing to Iowa 7-35 was exactly the same embarrassment as if they had lost 0-35.
When I look at the score in a few years I'll think... "Lost by 28. Didn't get shutout".

You of course will have a much better memory than me and know which TD's were all meaningful and meaningless. Kudos to you for that. That will be a useful remembrance should you care to detail the story of the game in print or video.

Losing to Iowa 7-35 was exactly the same embarrassment as if they had lost 0-35.
Avoid a shutout and you keep annoying announcers at the end of a future game that looks like a shutout from saying "this will be their first shut out since...". I'm glad we got the TD just for that reason. It's all about keeping the announcers less annoying.

I think having a fit about your opponent still playing when there is nearly seven minutes left in the game isn't a great look. But I could care less about it.

Still not sure why you are throwing such a tantrum about it though. Have a juice or something.
It's just hard for some folks to imagine showing up for a football contest and the other team playing football. I mean who does that!!?!?!?

When I look at the score in a few years I'll think... "Lost by 28. Didn't get shutout".

You of course will have a much better memory than me and know which TD's were all meaningful and meaningless. Kudos to you for that. That will be a useful remembrance should you care to detail the story of the game in print or video.
Neat

I will remember it as 21-0 or maybe 14-7. Iowa's last 2-3 scores were all meaningless. It's like Hockey saying who got the game winning goal. The game winning score was in the 2nd quarter.

I bet he has heard what PJ is telling recruits and he felt like a f you was in order. I think its great fuel for the rivalry.
What is pj telling recruits?

What is pj telling recruits?
That Iowa fans and coaches are racist towards blacks and stop caring about their well-being as soon as they step off the field. Is a wild guess.

That Iowa fans and coaches are racist towards blacks and stop caring about their well-being as soon as they step off the field. Is a wild guess.
Seems like a big assumption.

That's the "We've sucked for 50+ years, find a moral victory way to look at it" thought.

I'll look at it and say, "What an ass-whoopin." I thought moral victories were a way to the past and PJ asks people to change their best.

C'mon Facts, you're better than that, raise the bar and your expectations.

Some fans are just pissed that the team is struggling this year and because of that....think the team shouldn't just be embarrassed....they should be humiliated.

But it isn't.
In fact, it's not even close.

One isn't a shutout. For all we know looking at a random 35-7 score. It could have been tied 7-7 at half. Who knows what happened.

Some fans are just pissed that the team is struggling this year and because of that....think the team shouldn't just be embarrassed....they should be humiliated.

Yeh, it's the "stick your dog's nose in their poo" mindset.
Not okay with people turning the page and being optimistic about their next steps.

From EVERYONE but a few Gopher fans' perspectives, keeping your starters in to score against 2nd teamers means your team has been humiliated. It screams, coach didn't think he could score 2s v. 2s! :D

Top Bottom