‘Take Floyd … leave timeouts.’ Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz comments fuel Gophers rivalry

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Minnesota’s offense was trying to manufacture a late drive and save face by scoring for the first time all evening when head coach P.J. Fleck called a timeout to help their cause. Before the next snap, Hawkeyes coach Kirk Ferentz burned not one or two but all three of his timeouts in succession.

“We figured we’d take Floyd with us and leave the timeouts here,” Ferentz said postgame.

Go Gophers!!

Who hates Iowa ? His team steam rolled us and he could have chosen the high road as they had already sent our team and PJF a message. The fact that he chose to rub it in should be remembered by the players and fans. Of course, it fuels the existing rivalry.

I don't really get why he'd be offended or feel slighted by the Gophers trying to score a touchdown so that we didn't get shut out and lose by five touchdowns.

Seriously.

I don't get why Kirk would be irked by that. Like who wouldn't want to score?

I kinda suspect he's just trying to fire up his team and sorta manufacturing this.

I don't get why Kirk would be irked by that. Like who wouldn't want to score?

I kinda suspect he's just trying to fire up his team and sorta manufacturing this.

Makes no sense. I would think that almost NO team would just pack it in because the game is out of reach. Every possession is a chance to improve.

Kirk and his son are two peas in a pod. I've yet to see why anyone would want to play for them. In addition to that, the culture there is horrible. Noticed today the lawsuit from the black players is proceeding. This clearly will show more of what Kirk and his son are really like in my opinion.

I loved it. PJ and the PJ fans came in here saying that he thought We Hate Iowa was negative and made Minnesota look bad. You know what makes Minnesota look worse? Keeping their starting RB in a 35-0 game and then calling a timeout with 19 seconds left to try to get points on the board.

Iowa fans are not good to Minnesota, Iowa's coaches are not good to Minnesota, and they don't care. Hope Fleck got a little taste of that while he got to sit in his 35-0 pee puddle for 10 minutes.

If Mo gets hurt on that drive, then I would have never forgiven PJ. Process > results, that was reckless and 100% done to protect PJs ego.

I loved it. PJ and the PJ fans came in here saying that he thought We Hate Iowa was negative and made Minnesota look bad. You know what makes Minnesota look worse? Keeping their starting RB in a 35-0 game and then calling a timeout with 19 seconds left to try to get points on the board.

Iowa fans are not good to Minnesota, Iowa's coaches are not good to Minnesota, and they don't care. Hope Fleck got a little taste of that while he got to sit in his 35-0 pee puddle for 10 minutes.

If Mo gets hurt on that drive, then I would have never forgiven PJ. Process > results, that was reckless and 100% done to protect PJs ego.

Settle down.

Chalk this one up as one of those things the losing team just has to live with because the losing team got steamrolled.

Don't like it, use it as fuel and beat them - if you ever can.

Ferentz clearly doesn't like Fleck much - and he's not the only coach. Fleck has his own style and it rubs some people the wrong way. That's not changing, so we might as well not pay attention to it. If the Gophers win, the opposing coaches don't get to puff out their chest.

If that's a team I'm competing with on the recruiting front, style points absolutely matter. So the worse you can make your opponent look, the better for you.

Frankly, anybody caring about a couple coaches using timeouts in a 35-7 game is overdoing it. The game was terrible. Who cares about the final minute of the game?

Will PJ be a whiny b*tch when Wisconsin runs up the score? That will be the real test.

I Hate Iowa.

But I don't blame KF on this one. We were clearly running a two minute drill with our starters in the game. I thought it was really odd of PJ to try to get stats/manufacture a TD. It seemed petty. I'm not surprised it was responded to with pettiness.

Second straight week of coaching malpractice by PJ. There is no reason to have Mo, Rashod, et al on the field for that final drive.
If Bateman gets seriously hurt? How would that be rationalized? Mo is being run into the ground, we supposedly have a stable of young backs...get them some work. It is clear Kirk and Brian cannot stand PJ. You could literally see Kirk smirking under his mask. As far as the post game quote goes...I loved it. They owned us. Was it petty? Yes. Were BOTH head coaches acting like children the final 90 seconds? Yes.

Kirk and his son are two peas in a pod. I've yet to see why anyone would want to play for them. In addition to that, the culture there is horrible. Noticed today the lawsuit from the black players is proceeding. This clearly will show more of what Kirk and his son are really like in my opinion.

My guess is something to do with Rose Bowl opportunities?

Why do people keep calling this game a "rivalry"????

Bulls__t. We're not rivals with Iowa.

This is NOT what you call a rivalry:
q8hPJpv.png

I had turned off the game by this time. The Gophers got clowned by Kirk Ferentz. That's equivalent to vanilla ice cream talking trash (fitting because apparently the Ferentz's vastly prefer white things...). It's progress that I don't see any nonsense about being "classy" like I've seen for over a decade on this site after another humiliating rivalry loss.

If the corn-fed hillbillies going on the Metrodome field and trying to take the goal posts back to Iowa City didn't motivate this program, this little F'U from Ferentz won't.

If Iowa ruining your perfect season last year didn't motivate this program to come out with some fire this year, this little F'U from Ferentz won't do the trick either.

I am still incredibly pissed off about yesterday. I would hope that would be true of everyone associated with the University of Minnesota (from the President on down) but it almost certainly is not. If it was, this would not continue to occur year after year.

But despite your opinion people do want to play for them.

I had turned off the game by this time. The Gophers got clowned by Kirk Ferentz. That's equivalent to vanilla ice cream talking trash (fitting because apparently the Ferentz's vastly prefer white things...). It's progress that I don't see any nonsense about being "classy" like I've seen for over a decade on this site after another humiliating rivalry loss.

If the corn-fed hillbillies going on the Metrodome field and trying to take the goal posts back to Iowa City didn't motivate this program, this little F'U from Ferentz won't.

If Iowa ruining your perfect season last year didn't motivate this program to come out with some fire this year, this little F'U from Ferentz won't do the trick either.

I am still incredibly pissed off about yesterday. I would hope that would be true of everyone associated with the University of Minnesota (from the President on down) but it almost certainly is not. If it was, this would not continue to occur year after year.
Gimmicks and flash won't work at a school like Minnesota.

Eventually, we'll learn that hard truth. The best we're going to be able to do, consistently, is to mimic what Iowa and Wisconsin are. No nonsense, no bulls__t, hardnosed linemen, run the ball, pro-style offense, play great run defense, basic workmen "culture", do your job and shut your mouth.

Give me that right now. I don't think PJ has that in his veins, that's now how he's built.

I Hate Iowa.

But I don't blame KF on this one. We were clearly running a two minute drill with our starters in the game. I thought it was really odd of PJ to try to get stats/manufacture a TD. It seemed petty. I'm not surprised it was responded to with pettiness.

Nonsense. Anybody who watched the game saw that Iowa controlled it. But breaking up a shutout at home is not a some sort of oddity.

The team has nine games this year. It doesn't help to stop competing.

Gonna choose to disagree with you, stock.

In chess, when you get badly outclassed .... you resign. Even though it's not checkmate yet, it will be. It's the classy thing to do.

We should've had backups in the game, getting experience. Fleck's ego did not allow that.

Gonna choose to disagree with you, stock.

In chess, when you get badly outclassed .... you resign. Even though it's not checkmate yet, it will be. It's the classy thing to do.

We should've had backups in the game, getting experience. Fleck's ego did not allow that.

What? Do you flip the board when you are losing so that you don't have to finish? Nonsense. No reason for the Gophers not to try and break that shutout. Zero.

Not to mention that in a surprisingly bad year....we've got a first round talent in Bateman that hasn't put up the numbers that we were all expecting. If playing out the rest of the game nets him some stats and keeps him from dropping....that's another positive that shouldn't be overlooked.

The Ferentz comments are being linked to comments made by Hayden Fry back in the 80's after an Iowa win over the Gophers. Apparently, before that game, someone had referred to Iowa as "a bunch of farmers." So Fry came out for his post-game presser wearing overalls and a straw hat, and said that “I figured if we’re going to take Floyd home, I may as well dress for the occasion". “I didn’t want to scare him and dress like a city slicker.”

And here are the Ferentz comments from Friday:
“Figured we’d take Floyd with us and leave the timeouts here.”

So there may be a parallel here. And Ferentz was on Fry's staff for that game.

A second opinion - offered by Chip Scoggins - is that there is bad blood between the MN and IA coaching staffs, which is somehow tied to recruiting issues. Allegations apparently of negative recruiting being targeted between the two programs.

Top Bottom