‘19 Class Showing Flashes

D has been bad. But Nubin, Cheney, Schad, Gordon IV, Anderson look the part today against Ill.

Nice to see BIG size AND quick twitch for a change. Not always the case with Kill/Claeys regime.

Carter and Potts are promising prospects too.

You're right, PJ has definitely improved the athletic profile of the team.

Carter and Potts are promising prospects too.

You're right, PJ has definitely improved the athletic profile of the team.

Agreed with this. They are young but they physical traits look right. They’ll teach them and they’ll improve. Very excited For the 19/20/21 classes

After seeing the Maryland-Penn State score, I'm wondering if you can draw any conclusions at all so early in this weird, COVID season.

Mafe, Nubin, Sori-Marin, Otomewo, St. Juste and many, many more looked light years better than they did last week.

Might be the opposition, might be the strange nature of a COVID season.

Mafe, Nubin, Sori-Marin, Otomewo, St. Juste and many, many more looked light years better than they did last week.

Might be the opposition, might be the strange nature of a COVID season.
Sori-Marin had a couple good plays but looked mostly lost for a large part of the game.

Sori-Marin had a couple good plays but looked mostly lost for a large part of the game.
He's just so unathletic. Almost without fail if you see a long stretch run off tackle, you'll see MSM taking a poor angle in pursuit. Great to see Willis and Gordon mixing in today. Can only hope they improve quickly.

He's just so unathletic. Almost without fail if you see a long stretch run off tackle, you'll see MSM taking a poor angle in pursuit. Great to see Willis and Gordon mixing in today. Can only hope they improve quickly.
Yeah I hate to be down on the guy but man, I can't count the times where there was a run, gain, and tackle and then he would come into frame.

I remember when Barber first came in cold and made an immediate impact. The difference is stark right now.

Get the young guys more experience, I think they have the traits you need. Will be interesting to see how they develop. Sure seems like Chenney and Carter good end up a really good duo.

I feel like his athleticism is ok, but seems to react to the play very slowly.

The kid is tough and aggressive up the middle, but not built for running down fast players in space. I'm hoping Rossi et al are figuring out how to position the new players to take advantage of those strengths and minimize weaknesses. The weaknesses were definitely exploited the first two games.

Last edited:

The kid is tough and aggressive up the middle, but not built for running down fast players in space. I'm hoping Rossi et al are figuring out how to position the new players to take advantage of those strengths and minimize weaknesses. The weaknesses were definitively exploited the first two games.

Yeah, I think MSM has been forced to play out of position for large stretches of his career. He is a gamer but he was filling in for long stretches last year for Kamal Martin and then a lot of the sets we would have Braelin Oliver. He should be in positions more like Thomas Barber.

All of that said, there is also a noticeable difference in our run game without Wiliamson on the slot. He really helped at the point of attack. Justus Harris is doing what he can (and he's been pretty scrappy), but he gets a little bullied out there setting the corner.

Yeah, I think MSM has been forced to play out of position for large stretches of his career. He is a gamer but he was filling in for long stretches last year for Kamal Martin and then a lot of the sets we would have Braelin Oliver. He should be in positions more like Thomas Barber.

All of that said, there is also a noticeable difference in our run game without Wiliamson on the slot. He really helped at the point of attack. Justus Harris is doing what he can (and he's been pretty scrappy), but he gets a little bullied out there setting the corner.
Barber played all over with success. From the first time he played, he made an impact. I think a big piece of that success was his ability to read plays and move himself into position. He had great instincts.
I hope something clicks with MSM. No question of his level of effort, it's his decision-making that seems lacking.

MSM - my take.

I looked at the long running plays and what I see is: (1) great diagnosis on the part of MSM; (2) sufficient speed to get to his chosen point of attack; ...but (3) over-aggressiveness in selecting a point of attack calculated for a TFL. He is trying to slice through the line for a TFL every time - regardless of the posture of the defense backfield behind him - and he is getting blocked and missing the tackle by about a foot. If he simply conceded a few yards and aimed for a tackle 3-4 yards downfield, he would not be locked up by a lineman (or planted into the ground) and would make the play easily. It's an experience thing. He needs to exercise better judgment.

Get the young guys more experience, I think they have the traits you need. Will be interesting to see how they develop. Sure seems like Chenney and Carter good end up a really good duo.
Agree on this. Carter is a man-child out there. He's not making a bunch of disruptive plays at the moment, but you can see the ability. Cheney was recruited by about every blue blood out there. I've been pumped to see him repping in more this season and believe he'll blow up sooner or later.

MSM - my take.

I looked at the long running plays and what I see is: (1) great diagnosis on the part of MSM; (2) sufficient speed to get to his chosen point of attack; ...but (3) over-aggressiveness in selecting a point of attack calculated for a TFL. He is trying to slice through the line for a TFL every time - regardless of the posture of the defense backfield behind him - and he is getting blocked and missing the tackle by about a foot. If he simply conceded a few yards and aimed for a tackle 3-4 yards downfield, he would not be locked up by a lineman (or planted into the ground) and would make the play easily. It's an experience thing. He needs to exercise better judgment.
I'm not so sure about #1 if he is looking for a TFL every time. To me that means he's not diagnosing but singularly focused. If that is happening play after play, he is likely out of position most of the time and I would hope the coaches would correct it with him, or sit him if it continued.

I'm not so sure about #1 if he is looking for a TFL every time. To me that means he's not diagnosing but singularly focused. If that is happening play after play, he is likely out of position most of the time and I would hope the coaches would correct it with him, or sit him if it continued.
Then I'll use the term "recognition."

From what I see, his largest issue is 100% correctable. He is trying too hard to prove he's an impact player. He's cutting right across the face of a 300+ pound lineman - literally 1 foot away - to shoot a gap and get a TFL. And the lineman is simply shoving him into the ground. This happened multiple times. ...Meanwhile the game situation does not call for such an aggressive move, nor does the backfield alignment permit it. He just needs to relax and sometimes "let" the runner get his 3-4 yards.

Then I'll use the term "recognition."

From what I see, his largest issue is 100% correctable. He is trying too hard to prove he's an impact player. He's cutting right across the face of a 300+ pound lineman - literally 1 foot away - to shoot a gap and get a TFL. And the lineman is simply shoving him into the ground. This happened multiple times. ...Meanwhile the game situation does not call for such an aggressive move, nor does the backfield alignment permit it. He just needs to relax and sometimes "let" the runner get his 3-4 yards.
Yes, he is making bad choices. On many of those plays he either just needs to stay in his lane and clog it to force the RB to take a different route, or if the run is not up the middle, move down the line with the runner , not try to get past it. He would either get the tackle for little or no gain, or someone else would get the tackle.

I agree it is an easy correction when you see it over and over, but at some point if he isn't making the correction, you take him out.

Top Bottom