Why does everyone make grades now?

I suspect what is happening at Wisconsin is similar to what happens at Michigan. There are the same entrance requirements as other schools. The issue is  transfer credits. Gen Ed courses transfer without problem. The issue comes with upper level Major courses. Such courses can easily transfer if they're counted as electives.
The difficulty comes when they need to be used to stand in as a course for the major. Some degree programs get super fussy about such transfer credits and can disallow them for various reasons.
When disallowed it puts the student behind. He might have to retake essentially the same class just to be on track to graduate.

Caleb finished one football season (maybe early enrollee, I don’t know) at Oklahoma before transferring to USC so seems unlikely (but perhaps not totally impossible) he had issues transferring any pre-grad or OK credits to Madison or USC although the prospect of it makes me roll my eyes a little.

It seems more likely every time a gifted QB is about to transfer the Badger fans start having hot sweats and visions.

It's not hard to imagine that somebody started a nasty rumor about Angel's grades.
Or? Was her absence from the team mid year due to course work neglect?
What I think I have observed...she ain't dumb.
It was her teammates Mother that said that about her GPA.

I suspect what is happening at Wisconsin is similar to what happens at Michigan. There are the same entrance requirements as other schools. The issue is  transfer credits. Gen Ed courses transfer without problem. The issue comes with upper level Major courses. Such courses can easily transfer if they're counted as electives.
The difficulty comes when they need to be used to stand in as a course for the major. Some degree programs get super fussy about such transfer credits and can disallow them for various reasons.
When disallowed it puts the student behind. He might have to retake essentially the same class just to be on track to graduate.
Isn't that why Grayson McCall had such a hard time transferring out of Coastal Carolina? His grades were good, but he had some weird specialized major where the credits didn't transfer.

Caleb finished one football season (maybe early enrollee, I don’t know) at Oklahoma before transferring to USC so seems unlikely (but perhaps not totally impossible) he had issues transferring any pre-grad or OK credits to Madison or USC although the prospect of it makes me roll my eyes a little.

It seems more likely every time a gifted QB is about to transfer the Badger fans start having hot sweats and visions.
The thing that's humorous (at least to me) is that in most national rankings, the University of Southern California ranks higher than the University of Wisconsin. People think USC is a glorified junior college but I know from some of the daughters' high school classmates that went there, it's a pretty selective place. That might not apply to athletes (but I think that's the case everywhere).

That said, there may have been barriers that Wisconsin put up in terms of Williams' credits transferring to ensure eligibility, but I don't think that somehow translates to Wisconisin being superior to USC academically.

The thing that's humorous (at least to me) is that in most national rankings, the University of Southern California ranks higher than the University of Wisconsin. People think USC is a glorified junior college but I know from some of the daughters' high school classmates that went there, it's a pretty selective place. That might not apply to athletes (but I think that's the case everywhere).

That said, there may have been barriers that Wisconsin put up in terms of Williams' credits transferring to ensure eligibility, but I don't think that somehow translates to Wisconisin being superior to USC academically.

I’m routinely disappointed by some graduates of all “highly selective” institutions. Not all, but enough. That’s a different discussion. If Wisconsin didn’t allow qualified and legitimate low level credits for a communications major to transfer, for whatever reason, in favor of courses taught by sometimes unintelligible TAs (50% of lectures, labs, discussions at Wisconsin) the farce comes into better focus. Hard eye roll if they are claiming their experience is somehow academically “better” or deeper outside of the real value of networking future opportunities, alumni network, and brag factor.

I’m routinely disappointed by some graduates of all “highly selective” institutions. Not all, but enough. That’s a different discussion. If Wisconsin didn’t allow qualified and legitimate low level credits for a communications major to transfer, for whatever reason, in favor of courses taught by sometimes unintelligible TAs (50% of lectures, labs, discussions at Wisconsin) the farce comes into better focus. Hard eye roll if they are claiming their experience is somehow academically “better” or deeper outside of the real value of networking future opportunities, alumni network, and brag factor.
I think things have changed dramatically in higher ed (although I wouldn't know for certain seeing I am 70 years old and matriculated in the mid-1970s). It seems that the whole concept of the liberal arts has diminished and I am more familiar with what happens in K-12 schools (although I don't work in one) and see some of the same trends. I'm not someone who is totally beholden to the concept that Western Civilization should consume all the hours of instruction for kids in K-12, but I just see more and more gaps in kids. Of course, they have 50+ additional years of history and literature to cover than I did. We finished off World War II and went straight to Duck-and-Cover after that.

Last edited:

Top Bottom