F. Mitchell--24
Patterson--24
Fox--13
Odukale--15
Rigsby--17
Betts--15
Williams--6
Asuma--5
Odukale's going to play waaaay more than 15 mins a game. Fox should play more than 13 mins. Edmonds is probably too high at 22 mins a game. Unlikely Williams gets 6 mins a game, unless there are serious injury issues.

Last edited:

Rigsby is 1" taller than Mitchell at 6'3"
Odukale has size, but he is the only big wing on the roster.
Some games you need two big wings.

In a perfect world, yes, you'd have another bigger wing. Specifically one who can shoot, but here we are. Odukale's going to be better than people realize, imo, and should get the lion's share of the minutes regardless of who we bring in. Rigsby can give us some minutes on the wing, as can Betts in certain match-ups. Maybe we'll find another super-senior after Christie officially doesn't return, but it's unlikely to be a game changer.

Both, but the problem arises when our 6'2" wing (Mitchell) has to guard the opponents' 6'7" wing. That is why Evans (6'5") and Christie (6'6") are so valuable and necessary.

The big problem last year, was Christie couldn't guard a 6'7" wing to save his life. Our #1 weakness was perimeter defense, where opposing wings destroyed us all season. Odukale will be a huge upgrade defensively from Christie, and Rigsby/Betts will probably be about a wash defensively. What we're really going to miss is Christie's shooting, and his willingness to take big shots when we needed them.

Last edited:

Should be interesting as it appears Patterson. Mitchell, Odukale, Asuma & Rigsby will all handle the ball by committee. I was surprised to find out Odukale was the #2 ball handler for New Mexico St last season, and played extensive minutes as the lead guard. Sounds like Patterson & Mitchell, are pretty much interchangeable. Both are combo guards. Rigsby can handle a bit, but isn't a lead guard. The million dollar question is who's going to be able to guard quicker PG's? Sounds like that might land on Rigsby, who's apparently an excellent defender.

I am boring the living snot out of other posters, but the answer is Ken Evans Jr. from Jackson State.

Keep the dream alive. Ryan James said CBJ was keeping his portal stuff quiet so other teams wouldn't know what he was up to. Maybe Evans is already in the fold, waiting for Christie to get drafted, and we're going to pay him with money we had set aside for Christie? Hard to imagine Evans would transfer as a Senior, to a team where he likely wouldn't start, but a guy can dream.

Keep the dream alive. Ryan James said CBJ was keeping his portal stuff quiet so other teams wouldn't know what he was up to. Maybe Evans is already in the fold, waiting for Christie to get drafted, and we're going to pay him with money we had set aside for Christie? Hard to imagine Evans would transfer as a Senior, to a team where he likely wouldn't start, but a guy can dream.
He would start.
He is better than Odukale.

Ken Evans Jr. is a major contributor for any team. He can flat out play and score. Him coming to the Gophers would make us a very formidable squad. Which if healthy- we compete at the top of the Big and indeed earn a spot in the Tournament. I also believe he will raise the level of play for not just the guards, but the whole team. It would be amazing if this became reality.

Should be interesting as it appears Patterson. Mitchell, Odukale, Asuma & Rigsby will all handle the ball by committee. I was surprised to find out Odukale was the #2 ball handler for New Mexico St last season, and played extensive minutes as the lead guard. Sounds like Patterson & Mitchell, are pretty much interchangeable. Both are combo guards. Rigsby can handle a bit, but isn't a lead guard. The million dollar question is who's going to be able to guard quicker PG's? Sounds like that might land on Rigsby, who's apparently an excellent defender.
Go farther back for Odukale and guess you could describe him as the point guard for Pitt in the 20-21 season.

I asked Ryan James where we stand with Evans, and his reply was "Gophers are done with transfers", so it appears our roster is set.
If that is true, they are making a big mistake.......unless Christie returns.

We're projected to finish 16th for a reason. 6-14 seems about right indeed.
Based on last season's results then 9-11 or 10-10 seam's reasonable with 11th or 12th in conference. It's still a team sport and how they play together is important. Each individual doesn't always equal the whole.

Based on last season's results then 9-11 or 10-10 seam's reasonable with 11th or 12th in conference. It's still a team sport and how they play together is important. Each individual doesn't always equal the whole.
When teams are turning over 1/2 to 3/4 of their rosters from the previous season I really don't know how anyone can make projections and feel confident in them at all about how the remade team is going to do.

What we know at this point is that we are going to have a pretty balanced and very experienced team next season. What that translates too on the court remains to be seen.

I asked Ryan James where we stand with Evans, and his reply was "Gophers are done with transfers", so it appears our roster is set.
So EITHER
Ryan James said CBJ was keeping his portal stuff quiet...
or
Ryan James said CBJ said "Gophers are done with transfers"
Conclusion:
One or more or all of:
1) Costa Rican Gopher OR
2) Ryan James OR
3) CBJ
IS MAKING THIS SHIT UP!

So EITHER
Ryan James said CBJ was keeping his portal stuff quiet...
or
Ryan James said CBJ said "Gophers are done with transfers"
Conclusion:
One or more or all of:
1) Costa Rican Gopher OR
2) Ryan James OR
3) CBJ
IS MAKING THIS SHIT UP!
I hope that CBJ is just keeping it quiet that he plans to sign Ken Evans Jr when/if Christie leaves.

I hope that CBJ is just keeping it quiet that he plans to sign Ken Evans Jr when/if Christie leaves.
I need some hope in my life today. I want to believe we have a high quality wing/scorer on the line to come here. I'll also add from a non-delusional perspective that it seems really odd this guy hasn't landed somewhere yet. He's either seen as a risk, has an agreed on landing spot, or he's struggling to get into schools.

I need some hope in my life today. I want to believe we have a high quality wing/scorer on the line to come here. I'll also add from a non-delusional perspective that it seems really odd this guy hasn't landed somewhere yet. He's either seen as a risk, has an agreed on landing spot, or he's struggling to get into schools.
He is a National Honor Society kid, so two of those things seem very unlikely.
I hope we are the landing spot.

It is interesting that no one's scooped up Evans yet. He doesn't appear to have any character, or academic issues. Makes me wonder if his price tag isn't realistic for a guy coming from a mediocre, mid-major, in a bad conference?

I'd like to believe there's a secret plan to bring Evans in, Ryan James did say CBJ was keeping his cards close to his vest, but that was prior to Odukale, Patterson, Edmonds & Rigsby signing. After that James said the staff was done with the portal for the season. The current roster is almost certainly the roster we'll begin the season with. One of the walk-ons will get Christie's schollie for a year, unless he can add another Kris Keynis type at the last minute who doesn't require playing time, or money.

The Ken Evans recruitment was probably over the minute we signed Odukale. I'm sure we tried to get Evans, but from what I've read Evans had interest in us, but we were ever at the top of his list.

[QUOTE="Costa Rican Gopher, post: 2943657, member: 461"

The Ken Evans recruitment was probably over the minute we signed Odukale. I'm sure we tried to get Evans, but from what I've read Evans had interest in us, but we were ever at the top of his list.
[/QUOTE]
IMO, Odukale is not good enough to discourage Evans from transferring to Minnesota. Odukale's skill set doesn't compare with that of Evans.
HOWEVER, Odukale PLUS CHRISTIE would be a serious threat to Evans' potential playing time.
Therefore, when/if Christie disappears, Evans becomes the uchallenged #1 wing on the Minnesota basketball team.

It is interesting that no one's scooped up Evans yet. He doesn't appear to have any character, or academic issues. Makes me wonder if his price tag isn't realistic for a guy coming from a mediocre, mid-major, in a bad conference?

I'd like to believe there's a secret plan to bring Evans in, Ryan James did say CBJ was keeping his cards close to his vest, but that was prior to Odukale, Patterson, Edmonds & Rigsby signing. After that James said the staff was done with the portal for the season. The current roster is almost certainly the roster we'll begin the season with. One of the walk-ons will get Christie's schollie for a year, unless he can add another Kris Keynis type at the last minute who doesn't require playing time, or money.

I would love to see Okudale and Evans play together here. That would be a big athletic set of guards!

I would love to see Okudale and Evans play together here. That would be a big athletic set of guards!
Agree.
We could go BIG with Evans and Odukale or SMALL with Mitchell/Grigsby/Williams.

IMO, Odukale is not good enough to discourage Evans from transferring to Minnesota. Odukale's skill set doesn't compare with that of Evans HOWEVER, Odukale PLUS CHRISTIE would be a serious threat to Evans' potential playing time.Therefore, when/if Christie disappears, Evans becomes the uchallenged #1 wing on the Minnesota basketball team.

My point is Minnesota was looking for a big, defensive wing, who could give us the thing we lacked most last season, or who could step in, and be the starter if Christie left. We got that in Odukale. The need for another wing dropped way down the priority list at that point. I get that you love Evans, but it should also be pointed out that he's a bit of an unknown, as he's never played a minute of high-major basketball, and we also don't know what he was looking for? Maybe he wasn't looking to be the 2nd, or 3rd option? I think we're in pretty good shape at Wing now.

My point is Minnesota was looking for a big, defensive wing, who could give us the thing we lacked most last season, or who could step in, and be the starter if Christie left. We got that in Odukale. The need for another wing dropped way down the priority list at that point. I get that you love Evans, but it should also be pointed out that he's a bit of an unknown, as he's never played a minute of high-major basketball, and we also don't know what he was looking for? Maybe he wasn't looking to be the 2nd, or 3rd option? I think we're in pretty good shape at Wing now.
You are entitled to your opinion.
My opinion is that Odukale is insufficient.

Top Bottom