Is Minnesota’s Aireontae Ersery the most dominant run blocker in college football?

The Gophers have one of the best run-blockers in college football, and they also have one of the best running backs in college football.

I guess that means they should throw the ball more often.

Hope he stays healthy in 2024. The sky is the limit for him. Thing that impressed me out of the gate with Ersery is his athletic ability. Coaching has translated that into solid football skills. A solid year probably puts him in first-round discussion in the 2025 NFL draft.

He could return in 2025. Does the ESPN Draft experts mention him at all?

Hope he stays healthy in 2024. The sky is the limit for him. Thing that impressed me out of the gate with Ersery is his athletic ability. Coaching has translated that into solid football skills. A solid year probably puts him in first-round discussion in the 2025 NFL draft.
I'm not a great football mind but in these clips his technique and his fundamentals look off the charts to me. I look forward to hearing his name on the radio from Grimmer and DT.

The Gophers have one of the best run-blockers in college football, and they also have one of the best running backs in college football.

I guess that means they should throw the ball more often.
Always a pleasure having Murray around to throw a little cold water on anything positive.

Ooh I love when the Hole crew gets fired up when they read posts that aren’t to their liking.
You mean you love making things up in your head where people are displaying emotions contrary to what's actually happening? I'm just bored and thought it was a dumb comment. I get badgerguys schtick, but there's a difference between an outside opinion that clearly has no knowledge of the Gophers' situation and this tweet stating a fact.

PFF has Ersery as the top overall FBS Tackle that's returning. There's a kid from New Mexico that was ranked slightly higher. Yeah, Ersery has the feet of a big cat. It's fun watching him play on Saturday and then watching Darrisaw take it to the next level at the same position on Sundays.

1716133211648.png

PFF called his pass protection inconsistent though he showed flashes, OSU game for example.

Wait, What??? Your posts appear to make it sound like he’s overrated and you’re downplaying his ability to play at the next level. The title of the article proves that he is well regarded by pro scouts, as it concerning the Best Returning Prospects at every position; there’s only one OT listed and it’s HIM.
Furthermore, he’s likely to improve his pass blocking this season, I’m sure he/his coaches have been working on his pass blocking technique.
———————————
The title of the article is -

College Football: Best prospect at every position who turned down the 2024 NFL Draft

Furthermore, it complimented his performance against OSU and their future NFL Edge Rushers (I’m posting the whole blurb about him, versus not selectively editing, to try and make a point on a free, anonymous chat board 🤦‍♂️🤦🤦‍♂️

OFFENSIVE TACKLE: AIREONTAE ERSERY, MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS

Ersery was a people-mover this season. His 86.7 PFF run-blocking grade trailed only Taliese Fuaga among FBS offensive tackles this season. For reference, Fuaga is currently a top-15 prospect on PFF’s 2024 NFL Draft big board.

While inconsistent, Ersery has shown flashes in pass protection as well. In particular, he only allowed one pressure on 23 pass-blocking snaps against Ohio State and its two future NFL edge defenders: Jack Sawyer and JT Tuimoloau.

————————————————-

Last edited:

Wait, What??? Your posts appear to make it sound like he’s overrated and you’re downplaying his ability to play at the next level. The title of the article proves that he is well regarded by pro scouts, as it concerning the Best Returning Prospects at every position; there’s only one OT listed and it’s HIM.
———————————
The title of the article is -

College Football: Best prospect at every position who turned down the 2024 NFL Draft

Furthermore, it complimented his performance against OSU and their future NFL Edge Rushers (I’m posting the whole blurb about him, versus not selectively editing, to try and make a point on a free, anonymous chat board 🤦‍♂️🤦🤦‍♂️

OFFENSIVE TACKLE: AIREONTAE ERSERY, MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS

Ersery was a people-mover this season. His 86.7 PFF run-blocking grade trailed only Taliese Fuaga among FBS offensive tackles this season. For reference, Fuaga is currently a top-15 prospect on PFF’s 2024 NFL Draft big board.

While inconsistent, Ersery has shown flashes in pass protection as well. In particular, he only allowed one pressure on 23 pass-blocking snaps against Ohio State and its two future NFL edge defenders: Jack Sawyer and JT Tuimoloau.

————————————————-
I'm simply pointing out that he isn't an elite pass blocker and he obviously struggled with pass protection last season. Being a dominant run blocker will make him a nice situational player in the NFL, but don't expect him to be a day one or early day two draft pick unless he can show he can pass block at a high level.

No offense to PFF, but he isn't the best returning OT unless he proves to be a better pass blocker. Hopefully, he shows a major improvement this season.

I'm simply pointing out that he isn't an elite pass blocker and he obviously struggled with pass protection last season. Being a dominant run blocker will make him a nice situational player in the NFL, but don't expect him to be a day one or early day two draft pick unless he can show he can pass block at a high level.

No offense to PFF, but he isn't the best returning OT unless he proves to be a better pass blocker. Hopefully, he shows a major improvement this season.

Your logic, which you’re certainly entitled to, seems to be flawed, as you cite PFF as a source to say he isn’t an “elite” pass blocker and then condemn the same source (PFF), saying that he can’t possibly be the best returning possible returning OT because the adjective they used was inconsistent; not crappy, bad, poor or average - his pass blocking may well be inconsistent compared to run blocking, but that doesn’t make it crappy, bad, poor or average. There was no other source cited.

Based on him being First Team All-Conference and the best rated O Lineman in all the B10 last year, it’s easy to see why they listed him as the best returning Tackle in CFB.

I will be surprised if he doesn’t make AA teams this season and us selected no later then middle of the second round.

Last edited:

Your logic, which you’re certainly entitled to, seems to be flawed, as you cite PFF as a source to say he isn’t an “elite” pass blocker and then condemn the same source (PFF), saying that he can’t possibly be the best returning possible returning OT because the adjective they used was inconsistent; not crappy, bad, poor or average - his pass blocking may well be inconsistent compared to run blocking, nut that doesn’t make it crappy, bad, poor or average. There was no other source cited.

Based on him being First Team All-Conference and the best rated O Lineman in all the B10 last year, it’s easy to see why they listed him as the best returning Tackle in CFB.

I will be surprised if he doesn’t make AA teams this season and us selected no later then middle of the second round.
🙄

Your logic, which you’re certainly entitled to, seems to be flawed, as you cite PFF as a source to say he isn’t an “elite” pass blocker and then condemn the same source (PFF), saying that he can’t possibly be the best returning possible returning OT because the adjective they used was inconsistent; not crappy, bad, poor or average - his pass blocking may well be inconsistent compared to run blocking, nut that doesn’t make it crappy, bad, poor or average. There was no other source cited.

JC Latham was a lower rated tackle by PFF and was picked in the first round. Why? He allowed two QB sacks his entire career. Shows how much the NFL thinks of run blocking tackles.

JC Latham was a lower rated tackle by PFF and was picked in the first round. Why? He allowed two QB sacks his entire career. Shows how much the NFL thinks of run blocking tackles.

We’ll see who ends up being correct about where he gets drafted, me or you - but then you can just be “right”, by citing his improved pass blocking, as you don’t strike me as the type who will admit he was wrong or made a mistake on a free anonymous chat board.

You win 🏆

Last edited:

We’ll see who ends up being correct about where he gets drafted, me or you - but then you can just be “right”, by citing his improved pass blocking, as you don’t strike me as the type who will admit me was wrong or made a mistake on a free anonymous chat board.

You win 🏆

Attachments

• thumbs-up-الإبهام.gif
    thumbs-up-الإبهام.gif
    68.5 KB · Views: 2

Always a pleasure having Murray around to throw a little cold water on anything positive.

Hey, I remember you! You're the guy who started a thread about "foundations crumbling" a while ago.

You mean you love making things up in your head where people are displaying emotions contrary to what's actually happening? I'm just bored and thought it was a dumb comment. I get badgerguys schtick, but there's a difference between an outside opinion that clearly has no knowledge of the Gophers' situation and this tweet stating a fact.
Yeah that’s probably what happened.

We’ll see who ends up being correct about where he gets drafted, me or you - but then you can just be “right”, by citing his improved pass blocking, as you don’t strike me as the type who will admit he was wrong or made a mistake on a free anonymous chat board.

You win 🏆
In fairness, NYC, I have never seen you say you were wrong on this board and you pretty much always say the Gophers and their coaches players etc.., in all sports, are the best and everyone who doesn’t agree with that is dead wrong.

While that devotion is admirable, it might also suggest that sometimes you might be wrong. Otherwise our track record might be a tad better in some areas, at least in football and basketball.

In fairness, NYC, I have never seen you say you were wrong on this board and you pretty much always say the Gophers and their coaches players etc.., in all sports, are the best and everyone who doesn’t agree with that is dead wrong.

While that devotion is admirable, it might also suggest that sometimes you might be wrong. Otherwise our track record might be a tad better in some areas, at least in football and basketball.

I was pointing out his flawed logic in his argument; you cannot use a data point (the PFF ranking and comments on Ersery) to both corroborate and refute an argument - that’s common sense and isn’t acceptable in any form regarding debating/logic which I’m familiar with at present. If you can provide a theorem which refutes it, I’ll be more than happy to admit I’m wrong to you. “I could be wrong, I often am.” - Brian Tracy, is one of my favorite quotes of all time, I had the good fortune to hear it from him, when he spoke at the Minneapolis Convention Center some 30 odd years ago.

You’re right, I do root, root, root for the home team, silly me. I have been critical of Fleck for his timeouts, failure to beat Iowa and AK because he was mediocre I his tenure. I am a staunch supporter of CBJ as he’s the coach, because incessant whining and moaning never changed anything in my experience, maybe yours differs🤷‍♂️, and hopeful he’s the correct guy. But if he proves he’s not this season, then I’m wrong about that as well.

I have frequently made an azz of myself on here and have admitted I was wrong and apologized, the two most recent occurrences were Howeda and Mennesota.
No, I’m not going to look for those specific posts, if you want to think I’m lying about it, I’ll simply say, that’s your choice, God Bless You and enjoy 5/20/24.

If I did something to offend you personally, then I apologize to you. I was surprised that you would jump in on a friendly dialogue obviously between two other posters, especially as the matter seemed resolved amicably between me and them.

If your intention was to show my foibles, you win 🏆 2; I have a litany of them, just maybe not the ones you seem entranced by.

Have a great day champ, unless you’ve made other plans🤠

Last edited:

I was pointing out his flawed logic in his argument; you cannot use a data point (the PFF ranking and comments on Ersery) to both corroborate and refute an argument - that’s common sense and isn’t acceptable in any form regarding debating/logic which I’m familiar with at present. If you can provide a theorem which refutes it, I’ll be more than happy to admit I’m wrong to you. “I could be wrong, I often am.” - Brian Tracy, is one of my favorite quotes of all time, I had the good fortune to hear it from him, when he spoke at the Minneapolis Convention Center some 30 odd years ago.

You’re right, I do root, root, root for the home team, silly me. I have been critical of Fleck for his timeouts, failure to beat Iowa and AK because he was mediocre I his tenure. I am a staunch supporter of CBJ as he’s the coach, because incessant whining and moaning never changed anything in my experience, maybe yours differs🤷‍♂️, and hopeful he’s the correct guy. But if he proves he’s not this season, then I’m wrong about that as well.

I have frequently made an azz of myself on here and have admitted I was wrong and apologized, the two most recent occurrences were Howeda and Mennesota.
No, I’m not going to look for those specific posts, if you want to think I’m lying about it, I’ll simply say, that’s your choice, God Bless You and enjoy 5/20/24.

If I did something to offend you personally, then I apologize to you. I was surprised that you would jump in on a friendly dialogue obviously between two other posters, especially as the matter seemed resolved amicably between me and them.

If your intention was to show my foibles, you win 🏆 2; I have a litany of them, just maybe not the ones you seem entranced by.

Have a great day champ, unless you’ve made other
And here I thought this was a thread about Aireontae Ersery.

Top Bottom