HOW LONG WITH THIS BUYING PLAYERS TREND LAST?

007gopherfan

Reaction score
The $$$ in the portal appears to be the big buzz, but how long does it last? Will many Universities find out in the end it isn't worth putting up all the $$$? Will we still continue to see Upsets and surprising NCAA tourney runs? Will we get to contracts and performance bonuses? Team result bonuses? At some point something has to give right??

How long will it last?

It will last until one of these things happens:
--the NCAA adopts new rules & policies on revenue-sharing and direct payments to athletes, offering schools an option to opt in or opt out - creating a new caste system for college sports.
--Congress passes new laws regulating NIL
--the Supreme Court issues a ruling after hearing an appeal on one of the multiple court cases currently taking place.

I suppose a school could announce that it will not play the NIL game and refuse to pay for athletes - but that school would be unable to compete at a major level and would be forced to de-emphasize sports. that is a heck of a price to pay for making a point.

Trend? Within the next year or two schools are going to be directly paying these athletes.

Definitely feels like that is where this is all headed eventually. Free for all may last for a couple more seasons but eventually some stability of some kind has to come back because this current mess is unsustainable.

Definitely feels like that is where this is all headed eventually. Free for all may last for a couple more seasons but eventually some stability of some kind has to come back because this current mess is unsustainable.
Stability is likely to create a brutal caste system of haves and have nots that is way worse than it is now. It will be analogous to the major leagues competing against the northern league. There is no way the big conferences are sharing much with the unwashed lower conferences. The end game is that non revenue sports go away and fewer teams compete for real championships.

I could see a split between schools that take education seriously and the rest but not certain if there are enough to take the risk.

How long will it last?

It will last until one of these things happens:
--the NCAA adopts new rules & policies on revenue-sharing and direct payments to athletes, offering schools an option to opt in or opt out - creating a new caste system for college sports.
--Congress passes new laws regulating NIL
--the Supreme Court issues a ruling after hearing an appeal on one of the multiple court cases currently taking place.

I suppose a school could announce that it will not play the NIL game and refuse to pay for athletes - but that school would be unable to compete at a major level and would be forced to de-emphasize sports. that is a heck of a price to pay for making a point.
It's not likely that a school will decide not to play the NIL game. However, I think it's very likely that donors will get tired of giving.

Thank god for people like Bob Klas, Dana and Katie Harms, Julie Jensen and Larry Shelley -- donors mentioned in the Strib article about this yesterday. But donating (as an example) $1 million for a building and then another $1 million for a different building 10 years later is different than NIL, where the school needs millions every year. Every. Year. And if they do keep giving every year, there aren't enough others and they don't see results on the field/court, they'll think, "What's the point?" Hell, even if they do see results on the court, eventually they have to start thinking about how much they're giving.

The U doesn't have donors to keep up with that. Many schools don't.

We are a long way off. Up next is paying top notch students to attend your school.

Hasn't it always been around just not at the level we are now experiencing. I don't see it ever going away.

Hasn't it always been around just not at the level we are now experiencing. I don't see it ever going away.
College basketball has always been dirty but at least back in the old days there was some roster stability. Sure not everyone had a shot at trying to buy the best players but at least when you got a player you could count on them sticking around for multiple years.

College basketball has always been dirty but at least back in the old days there was some roster stability. Sure not everyone had a shot at trying to buy the best players but at least when you got a player you could count on them sticking around for multiple years.

That's because they couldn't transfer and play every year, which is a far bigger problem than money.

That's because they couldn't transfer and play every year, which is a far bigger problem than money.
Yep....and then when you combine the ability to throw money around with the ability to be an unrestricted free agent every year.....yeah.....not hard to see how this became the massive clusterfu$% it has become.

I still haven’t heard why paying players directly from the school would affect the NIL game at all.

Paying a player directly will be just like scholarship. They will still take bigger NIL on top of that from highest bidder.

So I guess my answer is that it probably won’t stop.

I still haven’t heard why paying players directly from the school would affect the NIL game at all.

Paying a player directly will be just like scholarship. They will still take bigger NIL on top of that from highest bidder.

So I guess my answer is that it probably won’t stop.
My guess is that payments from the schools will probably come with some sort of contract as well and some stricter guard rails to make NIL payments actual NIL payments as opposed to the pay for play payments they are right now.

Having said that, this is all going to take a while to sort out and I am sure there will be all kinds of legal challenges along the way.

My guess is that payments from the schools will probably come with some sort of contract as well and some stricter guard rails to make NIL payments actual NIL payments as opposed to the pay for play payments they are right now.

Having said that, this is all going to take a while to sort out and I am sure there will be all kinds of legal challenges along the way.
Yeah I think that is the route that they will try but even if there are contracts or there is some sort of collective bargaining, restricting outside earnings will be difficult legally. In pro sports the players are free to earn outside income through endorsements etc.. but in the pros thesalaries are so high that that income only affects a player’s destination decision slightly.

College sports may make money but doubtful that the payments from schools can reach anything on the pro levels.

at least when you got a player you could count on them sticking around for multiple years.

Yeah, and that applied to the bad players too. Not being able to keep a Payne or a Hawkins for four years is unfavorable but having to keep a Michael Hurt or a Gaston Diedhiou for four years isn't all that much less unfavorable. The former system was tough for the latter type of players. Instead of being able to go somewhere they had a decent chance of playing they had to spend most of their time on the bench for four years. Michael Hurt had a fair number of non-major offers while he was in high school but who was going to take him as a sit-out transfer?

Yeah I think that is the route that they will try but even if there are contracts or there is some sort of collective bargaining, restricting outside earnings will be difficult legally. In pro sports the players are free to earn outside income through endorsements etc.. but in the pros the salaries are so high that that income only affects a player’s destination decision slightly.

College sports may make money but doubtful that the payments from schools can reach anything on the pro levels.
In the pros though, you also have guys like Brady and Gronk who took less than market rate from the team so they could be surrounded with better players, because their endorsement income was so high.

And all but MLB has a cap. In the other leagues, I think if someone signed some kind of personal service contract with the owner of a team (or some superfan) above their salary if would be investigated as trying to circumvent the rules and there would be consequences.

Top Bottom