Does it pay to recruit high school kids?

No, it does not pay to recruit high school kids at Minnesota.

But it doesn't pay to bring in transfers (who are good, like Hawkins) either.

Because as soon as they're worth money, they're gone.

No, it does not pay to recruit high school kids at Minnesota.

But it doesn't pay to bring in transfers (who are good, like Hawkins) either.

Because as soon as they're worth money, they're gone.
So what would you do if you were in Ben's shoes?

So what would you do if you were in Ben's shoes?
I'd tell Coyle that I'll play along with being a bottom-feeder...but I want an extension now. I'm not going to be the fall guy and get fired next year.

Without an extension, I'd be looking for another job...and resign here as soon as I found something.

I'd tell Coyle that I'll play along with being a bottom-feeder...but I want an extension now. I'm not going to be the fall guy and get fired next year.

Without an extension, I'd be looking for another job...and resign here as soon as I found something.
He ain’t getting another job. He was terrible before the defections.

He ain’t getting another job. He was terrible before the defections.
I knew you'd say that.

But to those who actually know what's going on...he could tout how he put together a valuable team here. 4 starters worth $500K+ per year. And a 5th that's good too. We would have had a very good team.

This might appeal to a big school looking for an assistant...or a small school looking for a coach.

I knew you'd say that.

But to those who actually know what's going on...he could tout how he put together a valuable team here. 4 starters worth $500K+ per year. And a 5th that's good too. We would have had a very good team.

This might appeal to a big school looking for an assistant...or a small school looking for a coach.
Good lord. He has zero leverage to demand an extension. He's not walking away from his buyout to go be an assistant at Miami (OH), which is the type of job he could get right now. He either pulls off a miracle and makes the NCAAs next year. Or he gets fired and collects his buyout.

Good lord. He has zero leverage to demand an extension. He's not walking away from his buyout to go be an assistant at Miami (OH), which is the type of job he could get right now. He either pulls off a miracle and makes the NCAAs next year. Or he gets fired and collects his buyout.
I didn't check his buyout.

I'm not saying he has leverage. All I'm saying is I wouldn't stick around for this coming year just to be the fall-guy.

In non-crazy world, Ben might have tough time getting an extension right.

I didn't check his buyout.

I'm not saying he has leverage. All I'm saying is I wouldn't stick around for this coming year just to be the fall-guy.
Yes you would. You don't take a 90% pay-cut for this year AND walk away from a multi-million dollar buyout because you're mad at Mark Coyle.

Yes you would. You don't take a 90% pay-cut for this year AND walk away from a multi-million dollar buyout because you're mad at Mark Coyle.
I tried looking it up. It might be a $2.75M buyout.

Ok as a fan, I don't like Johnson being the fall-guy. But give me a few million...and I'll tell you whatever you wanna hear. I'll tell you that I'm recruiting hard-nosed experienced guys with a defensive mindset.

Facts

I don't know what that other guy is talking about. Has to be Ben himself.

Facts

I don't know what that other guy is talking about. Has to be Ben himself.
I'm not Ben. But I'm not the only person in the world who doesn't think he's a bum.

Like I said...he might be able to get an assistant position at a big school...or a head coaching position at a smaller school. He can tout how he found & signed talent that became worth a lot of money.

I'm not Ben. But I'm not the only person in the world who doesn't think he's a bum.

Like I said...he might be able to get an assistant position at a big school...or a head coaching position at a smaller school. He can tout how he found & signed talent that became worth a lot of money.
That is what he should’ve been before he got the gopher job… a small school head coach…but they passed.

That is what he should’ve been before he got the gopher job… a small school head coach…but they passed.
Your guys are unbelievable.

Ben applied for the Gopher job and was hired. What's so difficult to understand about that?

Your guys are unbelievable.

Ben applied for the Gopher job and was hired. What's so difficult to understand about that?
The results speak for themselves. The B10 isn’t a conference for learning on the fly…hence why he should’ve been a coach at a lower level to build his resume up.

The results speak for themselves. The B10 isn’t a conference for learning on the fly…hence why he should’ve been a coach at a lower level to build his resume up.
Like I always say...fans say the coach is a genius when the team wins...and they say he's a bum when they lose.

Regardless of circumstances. And to the extreme. Literally. Like he could go from a genius to a bum overnight if he lost 3 starters.

Humphries was the best player I've ever seen on the Gophers. And he married Kim Kardashian.

Yet we still managed to get ZERO publicity out of it. That a herculean accomplishment. Fits right in with sabotaging all of our best teams.
Did you ever checkout his assist columns? 🤔

Top Bottom